Shark rigs

Started by Shark Hunter, January 12, 2014, 10:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Figured I'd give the reels a rest this weekend and make up some Shark Rigs. I'm waiting on more goodies from The Boss, Lee and Bryan to do some more reel mods.
I just used the Wire this evening. Tooth Proof #22 and #19. My fingers are sore today!
Used about 12' of wire and 12' of 480lb cable to the main line with a sliding trace on the cable.
Used up my big Gamakatsu 14/0's for some Monster rigs, A couple Mustad 20/0's, Lingred Pitman 18/0's, and VMC 16's.
That little diamond file makes them needle Sharp! ;)
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Those look like sum good quality hooks.  I am a fan of the commercial grade, ringed Mustad 16/0s (4.6mm dia).  We used a few if those ridiculously large circle hooks (like the SS ones they use on that Great White fishing/research show), for catching large Tigers.  We would use spectra rope, and hard float bouys to subdue them quickly via hand lines outta 17 ft whalers in shallow water. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Chris Gatorfan

Thanks for the Reminder Daron. I have been so busy getting my business set-up that I have completely forgot to make my order to AFW to get my bulk spools of tooth proof and my swivels.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Dominick

Daron, two questions.  Does one need a fishing license to fish Florida saltwater?  When are we going to catch some sharks?  Really 3 questions, will you paddle my bait out?   ;) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Yes, I buy a non resident License every year. Better yet, My Wife will paddle your Bait Out! ;)
I'm headed to the Gulf the last two weeks in May.
I'm getting pretty good with My Haywire twists. This is #19 wire with a VMC 16/0 hook. Sharp as Hell!
Here is a Mustad 20/0 and Gama 14/0 an the the #22 wire. This is some serous wire! Its already been discontinued. I have a lifetime supply! The other two are the VMC's with #19 wire with 12' of 480lb nylon coated cable to the main line. Double crimped with copper crimps and stainless thimbles.
Life is Good!

saltydog

Made a few Tipper rigs for my trip in June to my favorite shark hole. This is #10 wire with a 9/0 ringed circle around 7' long with a 130# swivel.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Shark Hunter

Nice Twists William! Short and sweet! ;)
Life is Good!

saltydog

Three to five twists is all you need more on lighter and fewer on the heavy stuff. Practice makes perfect.
MacArthur

Keta

I make supper small ones for my wahoo live bait leaders.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Funny,
Looks just like safety wire. Has anyone tried to spin those with safety wire pliers? Bet it would be nice.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Obviously you have never tried to twist 500 lb test wire. Its an art.
Its not anything like safety wire. It is hard to do and can only be done with your hands. I use safety wire and pliers at my work and there is no comparison.
Life is Good!

saltydog

Oh to the contrair I have twisted a lot of that and it is a pain to say the least, I just don't need anything that heavy fishing with 80# line off a beach. #10-#15 are the best and I use the lighter stuff for macks while throwing spoons and iron, plus some liveries.
MacArthur

Shark Hunter

It is overkill, but I'm not getting cut off. I'm fishing straight 130 lb mono with this monster 24' leader of wire and cable. Once I get him close enough to grab the leader, He is coming with me!
My son is my leader man, and I have the tail rope ready! My brother is the Camera Man, and its a race to see how quick we can get the Beast back in the water! Its a rush! ;D
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

I wonder how those haywire twist jigs/tools would handle the heavier wire?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

saltydog

A pair of flat nose pliers works better, most of those wire formers unless you spend around 160.00 only bend .041 wire and don't do well with the bigger stuff.
MacArthur