4/0 TANK BEARINGS??

Started by LTM, January 17, 2014, 06:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

This topic is for all of youse "Tank Punishers" !!!

I dont recall any comments on ball bearing wear/failure with your tank projects. May have been an oversite on my part. If you havent noticed any appreciable wear, what specific bearings do you use in your tanks when time to replace the bearings, please?

Leo

BMITCH

Leo, unfortunately I haven't had the chance as of yet to "punish" mine yet. I WILL be putting a hurtin on it this season though! So I can't weigh in on the bearing choices. I still have the stock Penn ones in mine. I would think that Boca has some nice choices. The guy to comment on this would be Sal.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

LTM

Thanx for your response Bob. I ask for obvious reasons, however I was servicing some Avets and replacing bearings and go to thinking about how OLD the bearings are in my two 113YTS', my third 113hl std is NOS. DECADES OLD, and pending upgrades for twice the drag load. Im aware Sal is out of the country (God's blessings be with him). The last time I read the entire "Tank" chronicles I recall you guys checking the gears for wear, but dont recall any mention of bearing inspection.

I recall as a kid skating with clamp-on metal wheel (just a giant bb) skates by Union 5. I would wear my skates out until the metal was worn on the outer surface (aka "hot-box"). Not saying my bb's in my senators are in such condition. However, I can only remember replacing one bearing over the decades.

So, evidently the old factory bearings are good. Has anyone tried ABEC5 SST bearings yet; what are you guys using to replace worn bb on hard working 113's?

Leo

Shark Hunter

I just use the stock bearings Leo. I even buy them used off ebay for a fraction of the price. I'm with Bob, and haven't did any punishing yet, I inspect them for roughness and clean them up and slap them back in with reel x.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Leo, let's look at the loading of the bearing.

Spool bearings on a Penn.  The load on the bearing are radial. which means the force is from the inner to the outer race (top to bottom of the bearing) very little thrust load (side to side).  The bearing installed are radial load bearing bearings, and therefore, do not require replacements as often as the bearing is designed and used in the intended mannerl.

Avet left side spool bearing as well as pinion bearing are subjected to both radial and thrust loading, but Avet as well as many other reel manufactures use radial load bearings...usually due to cost, designed usage limits,...An axial bearing is a good choice or the use of a radial and thrust bearings as used in some Penn reels is the best option for bearing strength and reliability.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Indeed Bryan, I hear lots of Horror stories about the Avet's eating bearings.
Life is Good!

broschro

I put my tank trough the ringer all summer this past year and the only problem I had was the cf washer under the main gear,it was 8 up pretty bad. I have it set up with a thin plastic washer and cf now.no problem with the bearings.

LTM

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 17, 2014, 06:06:02 PM

Spool bearings on a Penn.  The load on the bearing are radial. which means the force is from the inner to the outer race (top to bottom of the bearing) very little thrust load (side to side).  The bearing installed are radial load bearing bearings, and therefore, do not require replacements as often as the bearing is designed and used in the intended mannerl.

Avet left side spool bearing as well as pinion bearing are subjected to both radial and thrust loading, but Avet as well as many other reel manufactures use radial load bearings...usually due to cost, designed usage limits,...An axial bearing is a good choice or the use of a radial and thrust bearings as used in some Penn reels is the best option for bearing strength and reliability.

Outstanding Bryan (the rest of you's do good too),

So Bryan, would replacing with an aftermarket ABEC5 bearing be "over-kill" or "just" the "factory" Penn bearing? Thanx for the additional explaination which was very helpful for me..

Leo

LTM

Boschro,

Show us your washer fix please!

Leo

BMITCH

Quote from: LTM on January 17, 2014, 06:56:06 PM
Boschro,

Show us your washer fix please!

Leo

Yeah, what he said :D please
luck is the residue of design.

Bryan Young

If your bearings are bad, replace the bearings.  We only use ABEC 5 or better in stainless steel.  For lever drags, I really want to use a thrust bearing in combination with a radial bearing but have not found something that fits yet.  Another option is angular bearings.  It can take the abuse of side loads and thrust load better than an radial bearing along.

Quote from: LTM on January 17, 2014, 06:53:40 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on January 17, 2014, 06:06:02 PM

Outstanding Bryan (the rest of you's do good too),

So Bryan, would replacing with an aftermarket ABEC5 bearing be "over-kill" or "just" the "factory" Penn bearing? Thanx for the additional explaination which was very helpful for me..

Leo
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

I've been replacing bearings on upgraded 113 and 114s w/ ABEC 5 Ceramic Bearings when the reels are destined for casting or live baiting.  For jigging or trolling applications I use ABEC 5 SS.   Senators, Internationals, have been getting new stock when needed, and shimano tiagra trolling reels have been getting stock.  Smaller shimano reels, Trinidad/ Torium get ABEC 5 ceramics.  I pack all bearings destined for trolling applications w/grease, and open spool bearings, while keeping side plate bearings closed (packed w/Alan's bearing packer).  Seems like the ceramics are much smoother new, but the SS seems to stay smooth longer. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

broschro

Find a nice thin plastic washer that is a tad bigger than the cf washer, put the plastic one down first. I haven't had a chance to test on anything big yet will let everyone know how it turns out soon.