My Trip to Cabo, Jan. 20 - 26, 2014, has been cancelled!

Started by El Pescador, January 21, 2014, 01:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

A week ago tonight, I called Dominick to see if he was up for some company and a "splash of Zin".  I always enjoy my time with Dom.
My wife and I traveled to his home and he invited us to stay & enjoy dinner with him and Linda.
Dom had been cooking most of the afternoon, making sauteed chicken legs, simmered in tomatoes & basil over gluten-free pasta.  Man, o'man, was it fantastic!
After a wonderful three hour visit, we decided to head back home
and this is what we found!!!!

While away, our home was broken into, ransacked and burglarized.
Two neighbors heard the sound of glass breaking about 15 minutes after we left for Dom's home.
We were cased.  The crooks were pros, EVERYTHING was taken out, examined, and either taken or left.
I had cash for the Cabo trip, our one-day boat fee, tips, and two dinners out, ALL IN CASH - IT was TAKEN.

They had time to open every drawer, every cabinet, every storage area.  Anything of $10 or more in value was stolen.
What a kick in the gut!

The reason I want to bring this up on the forum is LOTS of you photograph your reel collections, the interior of your homes, outside location shots, etc.

Please be careful of what you are opening up to the world,

also, if you have not met with your insurance carrier recently, for either renters or homeowners coverage, PLEASE schedule that meeting tomorrow!  Please!

The crooks also took our fire safe, a fire safe to keep our important family papers safe if a fire were to break out in our home,  I do not think like a thief, I DID NOT HAVE THE SAFE BOLTED TO THE FLOOR!!!  A 200+ lbs. safe, GONE.

The Monday morning of our burglary, I meet with a long time friend for breakfast who lost his home in a fire that started in the garage.  At breakfast, he told me to go home and TODAY, video everything I have in our home.  I did not heed his words.

Also, in the safe, were our passports and original birth certificates.  Because of the loss of those important papers, we are UNABLE to leave the country.  Today, I am an undocumented citizen.

Instead of enjoying a cold drink with a long time friend and his charming wife in Cabo RIGHT NOW, I'm stuck here and unable to leave the country until I can obtain a duplicate copy of my birth certificate, then work with the State Dept. in San Francisco for a new passport.

I repeat, PLEASE be careful of what information you release of your personal items & home, it can be used against you.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Shark Hunter

That is terrible Wayne! I hope they catch them. There is nothing worse than a thief. I have a state of the art alarm system on my house, It definitely gives me peace of mind. I'm not saying it can't be by passed, but it is working for me so far. I had it installed in my home before I even moved in. I am a stay at home type. I hardly go anywhere, but work, unless I'm on Vacation and that's when the Alarm comes in. One again, I am truly Sorry this has happened. hang in there buddy! :)
Life is Good!

WCFLA

BMITCH

Wayne, SO SO SORRY to hear this. I've only had cars stolen and can't imagine the devastation you feel. My heart goes out to you and your family. The feeling of being violated is sometimes worse than the loss of the items. Very good points about not putting too much info up here. I can't imagine the pain your going through right now and really appreciate you taking the time to post this. Good luck!
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

floating doc

I'm sick. So very, very sorry to see this.

My only attempt at a Cabo trip fell through when my Uncle died a few days prior to leaving. That was 1986; I still haven't been.
Central Florida

Ron Jones

Wayne,
I can't tell you haw sorry I am. It happened to me and another relative when I was young. Quite a sickening feeling. I'm praying that you and the adjuster work things out and that the truly important things are found. If their is anything we can do, please ask.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

That was rough.  Wayne knows the pain I feel for him.  The only consolation is no one was hurt and no fishing equipment was taken.  I'm not making light of this situation.  Everything that was taken is replaceable and Wayne feels the same way.
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

TomT

Not only the loss of money and personal items, BUT you feel like you were personally violated!!  It sounds like someone who knows you or at least has personal knowledge.  So sorry for your loss.
TomT

Shark Hunter

Wayne,
You said to be extra careful of the items you show people in your home and your personal information. I realize this and only share my passion with others here. Do you think it was someone you know?
Call me a redneck, but I sleep with a gun within arms reach and when I am not home, I have somebody watching the place. You said your neighbors heard glass breaking, why didn't they call the cops?
If they went through every inch of the place, It seems to me, that would have taken some time.
I honestly hope they get caught, so you can press some charges on those thiefs!
Like Dominick said, no one was hurt and everything can be replaced. Sorry you can't make it on your trip. Time heals all wounds.
Life is Good!

Chris Gatorfan

Very sorry to hear this. But I feel your pain as I have had this happen to me back in the 90's. My family has always been avid outdoors people. Well one day while my dad was at work and I was in school someone broke into our home, Stole some money my dad had along with My remington 30-06, my dads 2 month old Browning 270, Both of our shot guns, and 3 of my Grandfathers guns that were passed down to us. It hurt but as they have said above, at least no one was hurt, and things can be replaced with time.

Sorry again man.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

alantani

ugghhhhhh, that just makes me sick!   we have an alarm and a safe deposit box with important documents kept off site.  plus, the house is such a mess that no one would find anything, anyway..... 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

saltydog

I do know how it feels, I had a storage room broken into and a lot of rod and reels stolen. The place I was renting did have cameras and onsite security but knowone saw or recorded anything, such a coincidence.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Bryan Young

Wayne. I'm so sorry. Crooks need to get a real job and start bringing joy in everyone's life not sorrow.

Got an alarm at my house too. And if the crooks can find anything in my house. .. good luck. You've seen Alan's garage.... that is my house. And my garage. .. let's just say that it's not user friendly. I have to move things around just to get in to the garage. Yes I'm a collector of stuff. Farming man mentality without a farm.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D