What is "The Tank?"

Started by BrianBM, January 21, 2014, 02:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianBM

In browsing these threads, The Tank comes up often.  I infer that it's a modified Special Senator, the modifications being a sort of consensus of opinions of the cognoscenti here, but I'd rather know than infer.  Am I correct?  I have a new 113MTL that would, it appears, be pretty much up to Tank spec (again, an inference) so I'm not about to start searching for either a 113H Special Senator (it is the Special, I assume, rather than a black-sideplate Senator?) but curiosity is killing me.

erikpowell

Bula Brian,
Here's where it all began...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3083.0

The 31 page saga that follows Sal's (Alto Mare)  Senator 113h build... he claimed it would be built like a tank.
Well he built it like a tank, so the name stuck.... The TANK !

Enjoy the read and cash up your wallet... and welcome to the dark side !  ;D ;D

BMITCH

This is twice I've had this question today. I think we are all using this term "tank" on any reel. I've seen it used with the 112h the 9/0's and so on. It kinda used when we upgrade and max out drags, gears, frames.....so I can see the confusion. Maybe with other reels we should use HD or maybe "super" I dunno. I get how someone new to the site might get screwed up. I too fall victim to over use of the term. I for one in the future will be more careful.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

You know as well as I do Bob, There is truly only one TANK! ;)
If he were with us right now, I'm sure he would make us aware of that Fact! ;D
Life is Good!

Dominick

Brian:  Eric gave you the link where the legend of the Tank started.  Bob is correct in that some of the members would upgrade any reel and call it a tank or use the term tanked out.  Daron is right there is only one Tank and I own it.  The Genesis of the reel came from Sal (Alto Mares).  Sal took a Penn Senator 113H and proceeded to "hotrod" the reel. The first thing Sal did was add a second dog.  He then replaced the internals with stainless steel.  He increased the drag stack to bring the drag consistent with the upgrade.  Then he added a Tiburon frame for added strength.  When he was done he got the drag poundage in the link above.  If you follow the whole thread you will see I fished it down in Baja and sent it to Sal for him to inspect for internal damage.  The reel came through with flying colors.  Sal sent the reel back to me and it is my go to reel for flinging live bait at Marlin.  There will be plenty of news and photos of fish when the Tank gets a Marlin.  Here is a picture of the Tank in action.  I am fighting a large Rooster fish.

Here is a picture of what was on the other end of the rod and reel.
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

Love that last picture. I go back to your trip thread from time to time just to drool.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Your Patch is showing Dominick! ;D
Life is Good!

Keta

Dominick,
Did that reel get a octagon insert or was I too late?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

Dominick, well said! Thanks for clearing this up for everyone ;)

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 21, 2014, 03:39:42 AM
Your Patch is showing Dominick! ;D
Daron, I'm not ashamed.  I can't fish without it.  Lee, yup you were too late.  I know how you can remedy it though.   ;) Ron I'm going back in June and you are welcome to join me.  I'll even let you pull on fish with the tank.  BTW I did not mention above that the Tank was a gift from Sal.  
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Newell Nut

Ain't it a sweet reel. I have the 114 NK that Sal built and I call it the Beast. Those dogs really play some nice music.

Ron Jones

Dom,
I'll be their with Alan in June. Absolutely can't wait!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BMITCH

HEY, wait I didn't know Sal would build us reels >:( why am I wasting my time ??? OOOH this is supposed to be fun ::) well it is ;D those reels will be collectors items gentlemen, I wouldnt fish them at all. In fact I would ask Daron(shark hunter) to make you a plinth and display it proudly.

Newell Nut

Mine will only leave my possession when I die. Collectors for sure.

Shark Hunter

I have one of Sal's reels as well. A double ss dogged stainless sleeved 14/0!  ;D
Life is Good!