Need a flathead reel

Started by Topshot, January 28, 2014, 06:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broschro

Keta

A narrowed 112H, a 501 or a narrowed 113H would be my suggestions, in that order.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Don't take offense here fellas. I'm just telling you how I see it in my mind. There is nothing wrong with the 112H or Baja or the 113, but pound for pound. The 114H can put all the Muscle these reels can on a fish for less than a Benjamin. I love tricking out my reels as much as anyone here, but after I built the Tank, I put into perspective what it costs to do that. Sure, its a compact package and Bad as Hell, but for my Money, I'm fishing 114's and up!
That little Surfmaster 200 I put together this past weekend. It is nice and I like it, but for the amount of money It cost me to Tib it out and put in the 5 stack and ss sleeve, I could have put a 5 stack in a stock 114H that would run circles around it and still have money left over. ;D
Life is Good!

Keta

I use my 113HN "Tank" for pacific halibut and I think it would be over kill for most FH cats.  The 114H is a much stronger but larger and heavier reel.  My Surfmasters (150 and 100) are inshore rockfish/salmon reels.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

113H, 30 ounces, 114H, 47 ounces. I think the weight difference far outweighs the performance benefits.
I saw a large Bull Shark,(150lbs) caught on a stock 113 from Shore. They had to follow it around on a kayak for almost two hours to keep from getting spooled. Granted, it wasn't the Tank, but I think a 114H with its spool capacity and power could have cut that time to 30 minutes without having to follow it.
Life is Good!

Keta

Not many sharks in AZ though.

Mark Twain

bluefish69

I don't know much about 6/0 reels except I want a Black one to match my 3/0 & 4/0. What's the difference between the 114H & a 6/0?  I just went through Ebay & there are at least 3 models.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Topshot

Quote from: bluefish69 on January 29, 2014, 02:14:28 AM
I don't know much about 6/0 reels except I want a Black one to match my 3/0 & 4/0. What's the difference between the 114H & a 6/0?  I just went through Ebay & there are at least 3 models.
The 114h is just the technical name for a 6/0. There is a 114 with black sideplates that has a slower gear ration and the 114h with its red or maroon sideplates that has a higher gear ratio. I would recommend the 114h as there is more upgrades available for it. Internal wise that is
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Lensters

Quote from: bluefish69 on January 29, 2014, 02:14:28 AM

A 6/0 is a size, the 114H is a Senator model of that size.  MysticParts.com (Scott's Bait & Tackle) has lots of good info on all things Penn:

https://www.mysticparts.com/Repair/114Hversions.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Ron Jones

For the cats he's catching, a stock 112h would do fine. A steel gear and a 5+1 kit in a used 112H would be $75-$80. He'd eventually want a stainless sleeve with that much drag but he'd be OK for the first few trips. I'm guessing he'll be using a 60# class rod. Most of those are a little skinny for the foot of a 114H.

I like fly lining craw-dads to bass in rivers and anchovies to bass in the Pacific. In fact I'd rather pitch to calicos in kelp patties than sail around all day hoping for one big fish. Your surfmaster is about perfect for that, it is not really feasible with a 6/0.

I love your 114 HLWs. I'm putting together a set of my own. But a 50 BMG is not appropriate when squirrel or deer hunting.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

I have more 349s (9) than 114H reels but my 114H collection is my second largest, followed by the smaller Surfmasters and then Jigmasters.  My preferred Pacific halibut reels are my 349s and 113HNs but for smaller fish I prefer a lighter reel unless forced to fish deep.

Mark Twain

Lensters

Quote from: Keta on January 29, 2014, 04:09:42 AM
I have more 349s than 114H reels but my 114H collection is my second largest, followed by the smaller Surfmasters and then Jigmasters. 

Another fan of the Mariner series!  I'm not sure what I have the most of but it is 49s, 500s or 309s.

Sorry to hear you were sick over the weekend but I sure enjoyed sitting in your seat on Rod's boat.

Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Keta

Quote from: Lensters on January 29, 2014, 04:17:51 AM

Sorry to hear you were sick over the weekend but I sure enjoyed sitting in your seat on Rod's boat.

I sure didn't want to cancel on trip but I didn't feel like driving that far feeling this bad and risk "sharing" this crud.

Mark Twain

maxpowers

The reason I like to squeeze more performance out of the jigmasters and the smaller reels is because my hands are too small to really fish the big senators comfortably.  Most of my fishing are done from cattle boats and need light maneuverable reels.  I could go buy the lever drag reels and truth be told, after a lot of upgrades the cost of my jigmasters, 112H, and progear cost as much or more than a mid-level avet.  But I like to tinker and have a fondness for star drags..

Shark Hunter

Quote from: noyb72 on January 29, 2014, 03:37:08 AM
For the cats he's catching, a stock 112h would do fine. A steel gear and a 5+1 kit in a used 112H would be $75-$80. He'd eventually want a stainless sleeve with that much drag but he'd be OK for the first few trips. I'm guessing he'll be using a 60# class rod. Most of those are a little skinny for the foot of a 114H.

I like fly lining craw-dads to bass in rivers and anchovies to bass in the Pacific. In fact I'd rather pitch to calicos in kelp patties than sail around all day hoping for one big fish. Your surfmaster is about perfect for that, it is not really feasible with a 6/0.

I love your 114 HLWs. I'm putting together a set of my own. But a 50 BMG is not appropriate when squirrel or deer hunting.

Ron
All good points Ron. I don't even freshwater fish anymore. Once I started Sharkin'. I sold my Fish-n-ski and bought a Kayak. Its the Salt life for me and I'm not bringing a knife to a gun fight.
Life is Good!