Need a flathead reel

Started by Topshot, January 28, 2014, 06:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topshot

Ok guys I have been buying all my big reels lately but I neglected the reels that I actually use here in arizona for flathead fishing. I use to use abu garcia 7000ic3 but they really weren't cutting it and they're not penns lol. I need a reel that has roughly the same line capacity a little more never hurt. The big factor is I need something capable of 20-25lb of drag. Also I wanted to be able to at least put a tiburon frame on it. I was thinking about a 500 or a 505 jigmaster but would it be capable of this drag numbers??
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

maxpowers

yes but you will need to tank it out completely.  Why not fish a 113hn?

Topshot

Quote from: maxpowers on January 28, 2014, 06:35:56 PM
yes but you will need to tank it out completely.  Why not fish a 113hn?
I was thinking about building a 113h narrow but I just don't need THAT much line capacity. Most of the season I'm only casting my baits under 100 yards. I have reels for the winter for when I need to get them farther out.
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

maxpowers

you can find a used baja special for about 150 if you look around.  since you're fishing 20 25 lbs of drags i assumed you will be using at least 60 to 80 lbs test line.  not sure you will get enough line on a penn 500 for that purpose.  the baja special is a narrowed 113h with about 30 lbs of drags out of the box.

Topshot

We'll I run 150lb power pro. Which is 30lb mono diamater. I mean I could probably just back it with larger mono to fill the spool a bit. And I would have the extra line if I needed it
Michael Baughman

Ron Jones

I fished the Colorado for cats during the non summer months when I was a kid. Our big rigs were all 112Hs. I never caught any true monsters, 35-40 pound flat heads is about our biggest, but the reels were always up for the challenge. A tibbed, all stainless, steel geared 3/0 would be perfect. If you are fishing live bait the slower grouper special would be even better. Where are you fishing?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Topshot

I fish a lot up here at Bartlett lake and lake pleasant. But were going to be taking a Colorado tip here in a few weeks. Probably around Blythe
Michael Baughman

Topshot

Just like to be ready for these bad boys. 73 pounds of pure muscle
This is my buddy jake Elbert's fish he caught just a few weeks ago at Bartlett lake. And mind you he's tipping 300lbs
Michael Baughman

Ron Jones

Nice fish.
We were always further South down by Winterhaven. I loved fishing off the Pilot Knob railroad bridge.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Wow Chris, that's a big cat! Maybe you should just spool up that 114h. ;)
Life is Good!

Topshot

I'm really leaning towards the Baja special. It's has all the features I'm looking for and it's had great reviews. Mr. Tani even called it best in class
Michael Baughman

maxpowers

I am adding a bit more drag capability to mine by cutting .90 mm cf drags and adding hopefully 1 to 2 more metal washers.  I think I could add at least 1 maybe 2 more to the reel.

Topshot

Doest it use those weird ear washers??
Michael Baughman

maxpowers

yeah.  The same as the penn 525MAG I think.  Alan measured them to be 1.26mm and there are 4 in there with 3 metal washers.  I think I can add at least 5 in there.  Will see if I can do 6.

Topshot

I think it could be done actually. If you went with 1.0 mm it would come up at just about the exact same as a 4 stack. I bet you could get it too right around 35 cranked down full.
Michael Baughman