Beachmaster 250

Started by Ron Jones, January 31, 2014, 12:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

Can someone confirm something for me. I often screw this up.

I don't like quick change side plates, actually I have a phobia concerning them. However, I want a 501 sized reel. I see that the 250 Beachmaster uses the 500 spool and is in effect a slow jigmaster without the swappable plates. Is their any reason a 501 stand, spool and bars wouldn't fit a 250? With a steel gear and stainless sleeve and dog I'm certain I could get enough drag out of it to fish 30 pound line and that's what Alan recomends for Kayaks.

So will it work? If so, anyone have a 250 they want to get rid of?
Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

A 112HN would do the job.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

john2244

The Penn 250 also has a quick change side plate. The 250 is a surf master not a beach master, maybe you are thinking of a different number reel.

John

Ron Jones

See, I told you I screw this up, looks like I'll continue saving for a set of Accu-Plates.
Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

What turns you off about easy take down, most of my reels have those. Try the 259, but those aren't cheap. With the upgrades that we're getting for the Jigmaster, you won't find a better reel.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

Thanks Sal, I actually meant 259. I was working on 3 projects at once and yeah.

The logical side of me says that there is nothing wrong with a quick change spool, but I guess it only takes one blowing up and hitting you in the back of the head making you go back to the dock so your grandfather can get stitches to feel a little uneasy around them. I just can't get past it.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Dominick

Quote from: noyb72 on January 31, 2014, 04:32:05 AM
Thanks Sal, I actually meant 259. I was working on 3 projects at once and yeah.

one blowing up and hitting you in the back of the head making you go back to the dock so your grandfather can get stitches to feel a little uneasy around them
. I just can't get past it.

Ron
Huh! What happened?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

We were about half way between Oceanside (Ca) and the Powerplant just outside the kelp patties and the old man hooked into a big ol' bucket mouth bass that wasn't interested in coming up. He leaned on it (I think it was a Surfmaster 250) and I heard a shotgun go off and something hit my head. After I cleaned my shorts I turned around to see the old man still holding the rod and bleeding from over his eye. My uncle hand lined the fish in and we went back with a cryin' towel on the old man's head and an evening in the ER. Never liked those reels after that.

To Penn's credit, the old man put the reel back together and 30+ years later my uncle still fishes it.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Dominick

That's a tough story.  Do you have any idea what happened to the reel?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

He had to replace the stand, so I've always theorized that it twisted in the seat and torqued the quick change mechanism until it let go. The side plate is what hit me after it bounced off of gramps head. The spool shot out the reel like a bullet, I'm thinking because the fish caused it to go from 0 RPM to 10,000 RPM instantaneously. Best part about it is he had a Newelled Beachmaster that I took to, and today I own a Tuna Special, a Marlin Special, a Grouper special and will continue to buy more. I'm thinking a Newelled 501 sized 259 would be a perfect anchovie fly liner. Here calico,calico.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Alto Mare

Ron, I hear you but there are other things to take in consideration. Those need to fully engage and the thumb screw needs to be screwed all the way in. I'm not saying he didn't know this, at times you're in a hurry and anything is possible. I've never had that happen to me, but I did have to tighten the thumb screw ones or twice. On some, the thumb screw doesn't line up , especially if you use the early plate on  later rings.
I'm going to help you out, if you have any Surfmasters or Jigmasters and wanted to trade, let me know.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

That is some story Ron. Now I know why you don't like them.
Life is Good!

George4741

Ron,
Another option is a Senator 1/0.  It is the same size you are looking for; 501 width, etc.  Good luck in finding a reasonably priced one in good shape.
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

Aiala

Quote from: George4741 on January 31, 2014, 04:40:29 PM
Ron, Another option is a Senator 1/0.  It is the same size you are looking for; 501 width, etc.  Good luck in finding a reasonably priced one in good shape.

I recently bought one on eBay, where they show up from time to time. Today's offerings:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-1-0-SENATOR-FISHING-REEL-/121262635861?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3bd0fb55

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-Vintage-Penn-Senator-110-1-0-Baitcasting-Reel-in-Box-/390759896205?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5afb1ad48d&autorefresh=true

You can upgrade them with a Tiburon P21 frame, too.  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Ron Jones

I have the less expensive one on a watch list and will go for it tomorrow. I've never seen a 1/0 and wasn't sure if it was quick change or not. So, just out of curiosity, did they make an intermediate sized reel with this plate?
Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
"