Jigmaster Gear Sleeve

Started by coastalVT, January 31, 2014, 03:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Try putting a little pressure on the spool as you turn the handle and see it it's the pinion not being engaged on the spool.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

coastalVT

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 18, 2014, 03:01:26 AM
If the pinion was slipping on the spool, you would be getting a grinding noise. Sounds drag related. Did you put new drags in?

No, the drags looked ok so I didn't replace.  I have some new ones that I can try. 
Jay

BMITCH

Quote from: Keta on February 18, 2014, 03:36:53 AM
Try putting a little pressure on the spool as you turn the handle and see it it's the pinion not being engaged on the spool.

What lee said. Sometimes you need a little drag on the spool for it to engage the pinion gear.
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Also, your last eared washer probably came out of the groves. It happens often, well on me anyway.
Welcome by the way, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 18, 2014, 12:31:43 PM
Also, your last eared washer probably came out of the groves. It happens often, well on me anyway.
Welcome by the way, Sal

X2
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Keta on February 18, 2014, 02:31:51 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on February 18, 2014, 12:31:43 PM
Welcome by the way, Sal

X2
me 3
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

coastalVT

Thank you all for the recommendations.  The spool still disengages (handle continues to turn) with drag/thumb pressure.  I'll break'er back down to ensure the eared washer is seated in the slots. 
Jay

coastalVT

Quote from: coastalVT on February 20, 2014, 02:39:17 AM
Thank you all for the recommendations.  The spool still disengages (handle continues to turn) with drag/thumb pressure.  I'll break'er back down to ensure the eared washer is seated in the slots. 

I Replaced the drag set and that seemed to do it.  Is the tension spring (last washer on the stack) supposed to be concave or flat?  When I first broke the reel down I noticed that that washer was 'bent' so I tried to straighten it out.  Maybe that was the rookie mistake I made.....

Thanks for your help with this.  It has been a fun learning experience for me!   
Jay

DaBigOno

Quote from: coastalVT on February 24, 2014, 11:43:10 AM

I Replaced the drag set and that seemed to do it.  Is the tension spring (last washer on the stack) supposed to be concave or flat?  When I first broke the reel down I noticed that that washer was 'bent' so I tried to straighten it out.  Maybe that was the rookie mistake I made.....

Thanks for your help with this.  It has been a fun learning experience for me!    

The tension spring washer should look twisted.   Glad you're having fun    ;)

Yes "wavy" is a better description.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Bryan Young

The stock washer should be a wavey spring washer.  If you install my set, it would be concave.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

coastalVT

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 24, 2014, 02:10:19 PM
The stock washer should be a wavey spring washer.  If you install my set, it would be concave.

Bryan:  What's your "set?" 
Ah!  So many modification options! 

I guess I'll stop straightening out those wavy washers!  Ha!  Lesson learned.

Jay
Jay

Bryan Young

Stock, the gear contains 3 carbon fiber washers and 3 metal washers.  I have increased that to 5 carbon fiber washers and 5 metal washers to achieve 24+ pounds of drag.  There are tradeoffs by going to this set up, such as the drag ramps up quickly, and would higly recommend using a 505/506 gear sleeves and stars because of the finer threads.  This stack will also all me to provide a belleville washer versus that wavy spring washer for a better destributed pressure to the drag washers. 

So, if you are fishing your jigmaster with 50# or 65# braid, now this drag set up will allow you to do so easily.  The cost is $27 shipped in the USA.

Bryan

Aiala

I've never learned how to change the gear sleeve, and it's about time I did. So, what tool(s) should I buy to extract the retaining pin? And is it a very difficult operation? I don't have a workbench, vise, anything like that... just my kitchen counter.   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

johndtuttle

Quote from: Aiala on February 26, 2014, 03:58:15 PM
I've never learned how to change the gear sleeve, and it's about time I did. So, what tool(s) should I buy to extract the retaining pin? And is it a very difficult operation? I don't have a workbench, vise, anything like that... just my kitchen counter.   :)

~A~

It's very, very simple Aiala.

All you need is a punch of some kind (even a nail will do) to get the pin moving. You'll find it flush to the shaft about half way down. They can be frozen or pop out super easy. This pin rides inside a groove in the stud and anchors the gear sleeve which will become obvious once removed. A very simple and time proven mechanism.

Once the pin is popped out the gear shaft simply lifts right off. Some of the pins for the stainless replacement gear sleeves are a touch long (mine wasn't) when you replace them and need a tiny bit of filing down. Any standard file will work if needed.

If you look at Alan's and other posts they sometimes have a modified tool for squeezing the pins back in but this is not required, just convenient for doing many. Gentle taps and maybe the last bit with your punch is all you need. Once you can get the gear and washers back on over the pin you are gtg.

best

Aiala

Thank you, John! Question: I don't have a punch, so when I go to the hardware store is there a specific size I should ask for?   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D