Jigmaster Gear Sleeve

Started by coastalVT, January 31, 2014, 03:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cone

A 1/16" pin punch is what I have. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Keta

If it's not fused in you can bend a paper clip and sometimes get them out.  You are much better off with a pin punch.  I have a metal plate with a hole in it to drive the pin into but a wood block will work just as well.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

You can get a small pin punch at Wal Mart, Aiala.
Its in between the straight pic and vice grips in this pic.
Life is Good!

Aiala

The 1/16" pin punch and wooden block worked like a charm! Thanks, guys!  ;)

Next question: For lubing the sleeve's inner surface, Cal's grease or synthetic oil?

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

johndtuttle

Quote from: Aiala on February 26, 2014, 10:31:47 PM
The 1/16" pin punch and wooden block worked like a charm! Thanks, guys!  ;)

Next question: For lubing the sleeve's inner surface, Cal's grease or synthetic oil?

~A~

Alan has always recommended synthetic oil. My first instinct is to use heavy marine grease for durability but the gear sleeve is open at the top so you can always add more oil. Much easier than removing it again to get grease in there.

best

Shark Hunter

I just put Penn blue grease on the sleeve shaft and inside the sleeve. You can see it oozing out from under the ss sleeve in the pic.
Hopefully this will prevent any galling.
Life is Good!

Aiala

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 26, 2014, 11:09:57 PM
I just put Penn blue grease on the sleeve shaft and inside the sleeve.

Hm, unfortunately I don't have any Penn blue grease... maybe I'll use a little Cal's and some synthetic oil... anything wrong with that?   ???

~A~

Keta

Quote from: Aiala on February 26, 2014, 11:16:39 PM

Hm, unfortunately I don't have any Penn blue grease... maybe I'll use a little Cal's and some synthetic oil... anything wrong with that?   ???

One or the other.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Aiala

Quote from: Keta on February 26, 2014, 11:30:50 PM
One or the other.

Okay. Well, if Alan recommends synthetic oil, I'll go with that.  :)

~A~

johndtuttle

Accurate is one of the few companies I have found that routinely greases their entire reel with Cal's. However, notably, they also recommend a little Cal's and Corrosion-x in their ARB's.

I also have lightened up heavy marine grease at times by mixing it with Corrosion-X and have had no trouble.

Point being that if you use Cal's, then add some oil later it is no big thang to mix them.

Let's see some pictures!

best

Keta

I like to use the purple Cal's Lite if I'm greasing the bridge shaft.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

I also use Penn blue grease, since I'm already using it on everything else, well except the drags, Cal's for the drags.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

I cut the Penn grease for the bridge shaft with either Penn Oil or TSI 321 to about 1/2 the thickness. Full strength on rest of the reel except the drags which is Cal's Grease
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.