Jigmaster Gear Sleeve

Started by coastalVT, January 31, 2014, 03:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastalVT

Hey gang,
Long time lurker, first time poster.  This community has been fantastic and this winter I finally worked up the courage to crack a few of my Peen reels open and fully treat them to the methods prescribed here.  I've cleaned and greased/oiled 2 309s so far and am currently working on my jigmaster.  So my question: I was inspecting the gear sleeve (98-505) closely and noticed the bottom 3 threads one side are worn down (they almost look crimped).  I'm not sure if this happened in use or the sleeve is designed this way.

If I need a new sleeve is it worth putting on a SS 98-505?  I mostly fish Haddock and Stripers (yak trolling) in and around the Gulf of Maine with this reel.  I have no clue if these fish would pull more than 8lbs of drag - I suspect not.  Would a 40lb Striper making a run into structure or 30lb cod (while Haddock fishing) pulled from the depths justify more drag?  The $20 extra isn't a big deal so if you think it makes sense I'd put one on. 

Who do I PM for the SS 98-505.  Is that Alan directly?

Thanks for the feedback!
Jay   
Jay

BMITCH

Welcome coastalVT. The SS sleeve is highly recommended!
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

Welcome! ;D
If they are on the very bottom of the threads, they probably won't get used. You shouldn't be able to crank down the star far enough to get to them because of the drags.
Life is Good!

broschro

If money is not an issue go with the SS 8)

Chris Gatorfan

Yes definitely go with the SS if it is no problem. It may be a few dollars more right now but for the long hall it it definietly worth every penny spent. You can never go wrong with the SS Sleeves.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

coastalVT

Thanks guys.  I'll send a message to Alan to see if he still has some. 
Jay

BMITCH

CoastalVT, I'm not 100% positive but I think Alan has a kit that consists of the sleeve,SS dog and a washer for under the gear. Just check with Mr. T.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

coastalVT

oh, that would be great!  When I emailed him I did ask about the SS dog.

Jay
Jay

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

DaBigOno

Aloha!

Jay, your going to be happy that you did.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

coastalVT

received my new ss gear sleeve kit in the mail today.  Thanks Alan!  A couple of installation questions:

1.  Should I grease the post with Cals or the marine grease?
2.  The Carbontex washer that'll replace the plastic stock washer under the main gear; a.) should this be greased with Cals, and b.) which way should it be installed?  One side looks like a looser weave than the other side.

Thanks,
Jay
Jay

alantani

i just use corrosion x on the gear sleeve.  with the carbontex drag, either side up is fine and slather on the grease!  it will work great. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Caranx

Hi Alan,
I got my two SS sleeves in the mail today too.
Gonna install them tonite.
Thanks for your service.
Stuart

coastalVT

Hey gang,
Need some help here...  I installed the gear sleeve and the real is back together with one problem.  When I crank the handle the spool will turn smoothly, but as I increase my retrieve speed the spool slips and stops retrieving line as the handle continues to turn.  It seems somewhat sporadic and I'm not sure if the spool is slipping out of the pinon gear or what.  Anyone ever have this problem and if so what should I check?

Thanks,
Jay 
Jay

Shark Hunter

If the pinion was slipping on the spool, you would be getting a grinding noise. Sounds drag related. Did you put new drags in?
Life is Good!