Daiwa Sealine 6/0 - any info? (photos now added)

Started by scrumpy, February 04, 2014, 09:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogdad1

"... If I can intercept the postman before my wife I'll post photos of the complete reel...". 

Reminds me of the old saying about: 'I Worry That When I Die That My Wife Sells All My Fishing Gear Fop What I Told Her I Paid For It'
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

DaBigOno

I'm looking forward to watching this reel get hot-rodded.  We're cheering for you Scrumpy!

Quote from: scrumpy on February 05, 2014, 10:07:43 AM

If I can intercept the postman before my wife I'll post photos of the complete reel, otherwise you'll have close ups of the internals and various unidentifiable parts  ;D

Sounds like you're on the same game plan as me.  
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

scrumpy

Ok, just arrive today... fast delivery!!!

Well the reel is indeed like brand new, amazing condition for a reel that probably 35+ years of age. The build quality is superb, though I've not opened it up yet. The drag is very powerful and smooth, far more than I imagined, though I've not measured it.

BMITCH

I see that the free spool lever is on bass akwards. Who does this!! Welcome aboard and hope all goes well with this hot rod/build. As far as ordering under the table ( without the wife knowing). You'll need to order smaller parts/reels. Easier to hijack/hide when the post is delivered ::) ;D ;D
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

DaBigOno

Looks like you scored big-time Scrumpy!  That reel is pristine.  

Like Bob said, that free spool lever looks like its on backwards.   I love that line holder feature.

Awesome photos BTW.  

scrumpy

Interestingly, there's another photo of the 6/0 early on in this thread, the clutch lever is in the same orientation, the same in a photo I saw elsewhere. Coincidence?

DaBigOno

Quote from: scrumpy on February 06, 2014, 01:42:24 PM
Interestingly, there's another photo of the 6/0 early on in this thread, the clutch lever is in the same orientation, the same in a photo I saw elsewhere. Coincidence?

I guess Penn guys like me, like it turned around.

;D

Irish Jigger

Same as the clicker lever,that's the Daiwa way,does'nt mark that nice chromed ring.
Nice reel scrumpy.

scrumpy

that said!...... the schematic shows it the other way around!. I've started to strip the reel to replace the grease, etc.. I might swap it over during that process

conchydong

That reel is mint. It looks like it was never fished. I didn't know that Daiwa was or maybe still is part of the Seiko Corporation. Watchmakers seem to make great reels.

BMITCH

IT LOOKS BRAND NEW  :o :o :o that's some find! Good luck. You probably won't be needing any parts for a long while. That is unless you plan on hot rodding it. Then watch how much it'll cost then. Super find!
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

scrumpy

Planning to keep it bog standard until it needs works

Shark Hunter

Good Plan Scrumpy. Glad it worked out for you. That Reel is Awesome! ;D
Life is Good!

floating doc

Wow, what a clean reel!  I've never seen one of these.  I have several of the Sealine H series reels; I really like them. One of them has the Seiko name on it; I think it's the 900H. That reel is at Bryan's. It's serving as the test mule for some custom parts.
Central Florida

scrumpy

Well I dismantled it this afternoon (no photos sorry!). Two of the three drag washers were stuck to a metal washer, though they separated easily enough. I compared the internals to that of a 600H/900H on here and they are VERY similar. The 600H has it's two main clutch springs held in place with circlips, whereas they 'float' on the 6/0, sitting in recesses in the side plate with a bolt through the middle of each when assembled. The anti-reverse pawl is also different, again the spring floats and it a little fiddly to refit, needing to be slid into place into the side plate just before the whole gear mechanism is located back into the side plate (about an 1/8" gap to push and compress it into place). Interestingly, the main gear and drag washers appear to be identical to the 600H, so I hope to source an upgrade kit from Bryan on here to replace the existing washers for a smoother drag system.