Rigging a shark/broadbill bait

Started by redsetta, February 04, 2014, 09:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cone

Dominick, I believe he fishes Navarre Beach in Fl. Not far from where I am.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Shark Hunter

I stay in the Navarre Area and drive down to Pensacola Usually. The Shark Outlet leader was a gift. I took the bait and bought two more of them. John Hebisen is a really nice guy. he sells a lot of cool sharkin' gear.
I am a collector of Shark Fishing gear. Bring that 14/0 and I'll loan you some end tackle. You won't have to wear your patch either. I'll have my Wife kayak your bait out.
I'll be staying in Fort Walton this year Dominick. Got me a nice three bedroom Condo right on the beach.
Bring that shine box. :D
Life is Good!

Chris Gatorfan

Oh yeah we are going to be working P-Cola beach, and if push comes to shove I am going to take him over to Gulf Island National Seashore...Or if he wants I will get up with him on a Monday or Tuesday and take him fishing with 2 World record holders for Sharks.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

pcde123

looks awesome, alot simpler way to do it is using a zip tie this only wokrs for fish that have a width big enoguh for azip tie to go around tho. somepeople say it makes sharks weary to chomp it they feel somehting hard like  a zip tie, but i disagree, sharks have strong jaws that can split a tuna in 2

Shark Hunter

I tried the zip tie method. It didn't work for me. I would just reel in a mangled bait. This is the way I do it with a sliding trace, and it works great. You have to leave the hook exposed and it results in better hook ups using circles. They pick up the bait, start running, feel the weight and its too late, they are Hooked! ;)
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

I have only caught one or two sharks over 100 pounds, and have been on board when a couple big threshers and makos came in, but I just haven't experienced the finickiness you all have. In fact I've caught a small Mako off the beach with mussel meat on a dropper loop. Is it the size on shark that makes them so difficult? Please understand, I am not saying the animals you are targeting aren't difficult to hook, it's just not my experience and I'm wondering what is different?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

CapeFish

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 07, 2014, 05:28:29 AM
I tried the zip tie method. It didn't work for me. I would just reel in a mangled bait. This is the way I do it with a sliding trace, and it works great. You have to leave the hook exposed and it results in better hook ups using circles. They pick up the bait, start running, feel the weight and its too late, they are Hooked! ;)

We slide or throw our baits in from the side so do exactly as you have done there, just put the hook through both lips to secure it better for the cast/shake and secure a small cable tie behind the hook to keep the mouth shut otherwise the bait spins in the water and drags. It works even better if you stitch a dacron loop through the lips and attach the hook to that - super hookup rate. On throw baits we can use a sliding sinker setup, but not with the one-way slide as you shake the slide all the way down to a stopper ring. Hookup rates with this free dangling circle just through the lips is superb. 9/10 takes are solid (dropped baits are mostly small sharks that can't mouth the big bait) and you almost 200m of line down before you can even pick up the rod. So you have to leave the reel engaged with a medium drag otherwise it overwinds. All thats left to do is slowly crank up the drag and lean into the fish and hold on  :)

Caranx

Just like Capefish specified in his post about stitching the mouth.
Look up bridleing live bait for marlin or tuna.
I bridle through the mouth or if through the eyes I sew the mouth shut.
They will inhale the hook even if it's a couple inches away from the bait.
You'll get an even deeper, more solid hook up with your circles. Less obstructions to the hook.

floating doc

I need to find someone in my area that's doing this, or coordinate with the guys in the panhandle.
Central Florida

Chris Gatorfan

What is it your trying to corridinate on Doc?
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Shark Hunter

I think he is wanting to feel the power Chris. ;)
Life is Good!

floating doc

Quote from: Chris Gatorfan on February 07, 2014, 04:28:03 PM
What is it your trying to corridinate on Doc?

I need to get a trip or two in with some experienced fishermen.

I want to do some beach sharking,but it's a pretty specific skill set. For the fairly shallow beaches that we have here, a kayak is an essential, which means at least one more person.  There's no way to safely land and release a big fish by yourself, either. After watching some of the idiots on YouTube it's very obvious that it takes a team that has some experience, cool heads, and common sense.

And common sense ain't common.
Central Florida

Chris Gatorfan

Well I would be glad to have you come fish with me this year if you can get over here. We always have at least 3 or 4 of us at a time out there. You would definitely have helping hands there with you. Just let me know. Heck better yet if you can see when Daron will be here and get it set up for the same time We could do a little "Team Alan Tani" on the sharks for a few days.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Shark Hunter

I knew this was bound to happen. ;D
Dominick has the itch too.
Life is Good!

Chris Gatorfan

Dom can come to. We'll Have an Alan Tani Member Sharkfest, and show the so called APEX Predator who the real APEX Predators are.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.