Rigging a shark/broadbill bait

Started by redsetta, February 04, 2014, 09:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunnlevel Sharker

If I can make it count me in to! I'll bring some good ol nc redneck ray slaying skills to, if I'm invited and y'all can handle me ;)
Grayson Lanier

Chris Gatorfan

Where is Bunnlevel, NC at exactly. I used to live in Greenville. Loved going Striper fishing in the Tar/Pamlico River.

And yes if you can come, then we would be glad to have you also.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

floating doc

Sounds good. I need to give about three months notice to get any time off, so I'll need to have specific dates. I'll review this thread again this weekend, and check back before putting in for the PTO. My number one fishing partner lives in Crestview, so I have a place to stay.

It's not too soon to start thinking about tackle. I don't have any of the monster size reels that I see here, but I have a pair of 9/0's. One's a 900H which will have an Alan Tani drag, a kolekar grip and Keta Krank by this summer. I might double dog it, too.

I just got the one piece half frame for the 115L, and I'll be adding double stainless dogs and a sleeve, plus the drag, crank and handle upgrades. I'm thinking of straight 80 mono for them both. I have a pair of Sabres that I built several years ago, a six foot 30-80 with all rollers and slick butt, and a 6 1/2 foot 40-100 with roller tip and stripper. I know that rollers can be a problem on the beach, but that's what I have.

As far as catching sting rays for bait, I have some experience with big rays. My biggest was at least twice the weight of my biggest halibut (which was 155 lbs). I don't expect to ever replicate that!
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

I haven't got the Ray catching down. I will bring some gigs with me this year for sure.
Ok, So far Bunnlevel, Floating Doc, Chris and me. Maybe Dominick. This is going to be a hoot! ;D
Your 9/0 will work fine Doc. Personally, I'll be fishing a 12/0 and Sal's 14/0 exclusively. ;)
Bob (Cone) lives in the area too. I'm sure he is in. 8)
Life is Good!

Chris Gatorfan

Yes Doc the 9/0's will be perfect for here... The Continental shelf being so close here allows us to have a little bit deeper waters and also causes us to get alot of palegics here also.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

redsetta

Jeez lads - if I could, I would!
Will be in Baja Sur in three weeks (first time since '96), but still too far to join yas.
Good luck!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Chris Gatorfan

Thanks. The way the weather is right now, come May when this goes down the sharks should be thick. We are already predicting a killer year in all the fish categoies for this year - Sharks, Cobia, Kings....I cant wait.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

floating doc

Okay, month of May. I'll need to submit dates this month. There's no guarantee that I'll get the time off. I'll also have to check with my friend to see if it's a good time to put me up. I'm going to see if I can get a few days in with him. We only see each other every year or two.

Should we start another thread?
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

I'll be down there the last two weeks of May Doc. Chris and I were talking and The last week, the week of Memorial Day is going to be the time I think we are shooting for. I will start a new thread in Members fishing reports. "Alan Tani Shark Week".
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: Chris Gatorfan on February 08, 2014, 03:08:26 AM
Where is Bunnlevel, NC at exactly. I used to live in Greenville. Loved going Striper fishing in the Tar/Pamlico River.

And yes if you can come, then we would be glad to have you also.
It is about an hour and 15 min or so west of Greenville. Near fayettville
Grayson Lanier