Alan Tani Shark Week

Started by Shark Hunter, February 08, 2014, 08:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Hang in there Daron. The bite will come.

Dominick

Quote from: Newell Nut on May 20, 2014, 10:16:01 PM
Hang in there Daron. The bite will come.

...and he does not mean mosquitos.   ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ChileRelleno

Car is loaded and ready to go.
A couple of stops for some misc tackle/supplies/bait, and we should be on the beach around noon'ish.

So Doc & Chris are out till the weekend... Daron are you going to fish tomorrow afternoon/night, Do ya have a contact #?
How about you Bob, ya up for anything?

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

floating doc

I worked from 8:50 this morning to 9:10 tonight without a break.  I would be ok with hanging out on the beach, even if I did get skunked.

I'm glad you made it down, and I look forward to joining you.  ;D
Central Florida

Cone

Daron, I'll call you tomorrow. I'm game for some fishing. John, I'll give you a call too. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

ChileRelleno

Daron's family/crew & I met up after lunch on the Sound side of Chicken Bone beach (Pensacola Bay).
It was freaking hot as Hades out with the humidity making it nasty for a fat man like me.
No one had had a bite yet, and I set up my gear to join in the fun.
Bob showed up later in the afternoon and we were having a good time jack jawing and telling stories.
Wish there'd been more catching an less fishing.

Daron's brother Scott(?) had a fish mouthing the bait and giving several short runs, but kept dropping it and finally disappeared.

Then late afternoon Daron got a solid hook up and landed a 5-6' Bull shark.  
We couldn't find a tape measure, without true measurements we decided not to tag her.
She swam off along the beach, slow but strong.

In the early evening I noticed my 9/0 slack up, I tightened it, it kept slacking, I reeled like mad, set the hook on & landed a 5'8", 120# +/-, female Bull shark.
Tagged her for the Apex Predator Tagging Program and sent her on her way.
Bad thing about this was my 9/0 malfunctioning, I knew it had a potential problem, and sure enough it choked on the shark.
With help from the crew hand lining while I reeled, we got her in.
Bob was nice enough to take my reel home and see if he could find/fix the problem...  I tried a couple of times an thought I had it good to go... Nope.
He even graciously lent me his 9/0 for tomorrow, first rate people we have on this site.

I Had another strong hit, but it stole the bait, bare hook reeled in on a whole mullet hooked through the head.
Free meal for some toothy critter...  Mullet was the bait of the day, it got the hits.

I didn't get pics but Daron's crew has video, they should get that up soon.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Chris Gatorfan

Nice report John. I told you they are here, and sounds like they showed up pretty well for you guys today. I am definitely going to be there Friday afternoon evening, after my dad arrives and I will also be back at it again on Saturday and possibly Sunday....Let the onslaught begin.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Shark Hunter

Definitely better than getting Skunked! I got my first Shark Slap from your little Bull John. She slapped me pretty good with her tail on my right Calf. I should of had my gloves on, then I could have held onto her tail. Too many Yeungling's I guess. ;D
The Video is a bust. Hopefully my Brother Scott's Camera did better. It was great meeting you guys!
Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

Daron, if you end up being able to break away tonite, we'll be on the Gulf side at Chicken Bone from approx 5pm onwards.
I hope that shark rash my little Bull gave you with her biotch slap  ::)  doesn't get infected. Seriously,keep it clean cause they can be nasty sometimes.
Bummer on the video.

Mike says y'all are fishing all day tomorrow?  
Chris wants us to fish Margaritaville starting in the early evening.
He says we should do really well there at night.
Ragnar Benson:

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 22, 2014, 02:52:40 PM
She slapped me pretty good with her tail on my right Calf.

Hey Daron: it looks like you ran into a gangsta shark that put you in your (12 year old rule) place.   ;) :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

John,
I'm all about the Margaritaville! tomorrow! Just hanging out with the family today at the pool and at the beach. I will bring the 14/0 tomorrow as well as the 12. Chris, I will see you guys there! I'M STOKED!
Dominick! Me and John showed that Bull who is the real Gangsta! ;D
Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

Bob & I met up around 6pm.

Well...  ::)  Y'all missed a good belly laugh and prize winning video.

The South East wind an low tide combined to generate 2-4' foot shore break that was really close together.
Being relatively inexperienced I tried to get out without baited 20/0 circles hanging on the yak.
Smart move, I tried and was dumped 6-7 times, I couldn't get my big'ol fishing yak out.
Waves kept dragging me in backwards before I could make any headway.

We thought about the Sound, but didn't want to drag everything out there and get bugged out again.
Tried another spot, high traffic area & not much parking, no way to see vehicle, not leaving anything in car to get smash & grabbed.
Called it a night, back to the hotel, swim in the pool & play with my son, relax & watch River Monsters with him, it made him happy.
Try again tomorrow.
Ragnar Benson:

Shark Hunter

That's why I choose the Sound side John. Sorry about that man. I'll hook up with you guys tomorrow.
Here is my little Bull!
She swam off strong and slow. I was very Happy!
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Nice release bud ;). Tomorrow I want to see that 14/0 getting it done ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

The video probably didn't come out because Mike handed me the GoPro.  ::)  I'm no good with cameras.  ;D It was nice meeting all of you! I will try to make it tomorrow but I can't promise anything. I hope you put a real monster on the beach!  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD