SHIMANO NORTH AMERICA CUSTOMER SERVICE OUTSTANDING AGAIN!!!!

Started by LTM, February 12, 2014, 07:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Ladies and Gents,

Nice having ladies around participating regularly; and welcome aboard. So, this is my second experience with Shimano custome service here in California. My first experience was possibly decade's ago and I was very impressed. I drove to Shimano to satisfy my currosity (Daiwa, Calstar, Kenwood, Avet, etc) on the first occasion and was glad I did.

Now on to my second and most recent occasion. I shipped on Friday Jan 24 and they returned shipped on Wensday the 28th. Tuesday I got a call from Shimano while I was servicing a reel and was glad that the tech servicing my reel responded to my note left in the box to call me. He sounded like a young guy and stated his first name was Junior and that he was also a Jr. I say this for if you ever need to speak with a tech ask for Junior by name, he's a great guy. So after introductions Junior the tech says "its clicking when you turn the handle", I said excuse me...... and he repeated his statement, refering to the anti-reverse upgrade on my Torium 20 I had sent in to get the drag upgrade (learned about on this forum). I could hear junior turning the handle in wonderment and I began to explain to him that I had forgot to uninstall the mod before I sent it in (wanted the reel stock for the FREE FACTORY UPGRADE) and also where I learned about the modification. Junior asked if I maintained my own reels, and I said yes and some friends as well. Anywho I had forgotten to replace the drags with the factory drags and Junior stated that company policy is to not service reels with carbon fiber drags. So I told junior I'll mail the drags to him and we managed to get pass this issue.

So after some fun dialogue; Junior stated he would do the upgrade and honor my specific wishes (on the note). Bottom line is with the upgrade and the FULL MONTE service I damn near got back a refurbished reel when I was able to get the time to take the reel apart for inspection. Junior took care of me. This post is not only to congratulate Shimano/Junior for the OUTSTANDING service. But also to share some lessons learned from this experience. First after reading the post on the factory upgrade I called Shimano and spoke with a "female" rep about the specifics of the upgrade and she also asked the techs inhouse some specific questions for me as well. So, if you need factory service in the future; before you send in your "hot rod" reel try to make it as "stock" as possible and take the time BEFORE HAND to speak with someone regarding the details AND leave a note in the box for the technicial/repair person to communicate with you if necessary. This extra effort sure worked out for me BIG TIME!!!!!  DONT FORGET JUNIOR IS THE MAN!!!

Thanx Junior/Shimano,

Leo

franky

Good job Junior. ;)

Btw, what factory upgrade are you referring to Leo?

LTM

Franky,

Here's the name of the upgrade:  UPGRADE KIT #0933. new RS Plate #932, new drive shaft #930 and new #929 keyed washer. Here's two threads that mention it:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=45.0  ninth thread by Alan from the bottom first page

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1889.0  last thread first page

Here the link from shimano with everything:

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/reel_maintenance_instructions.download.-mainParsys-000112-downloadFile.html/TN%20and%20TOR%20Upgrade%20Tutorial_2.pdf

It's like I got a factory new short block (engine minus heads and intake). Send me a PM if you need more info on upgrade.

Leo

franky

Ahh okay,

Thanks, I remeber reading about that.  ;)

Yes, if the reel is made before 2005, then those changes need to be made.  Mine are made after therefore I should be okay.  :)

thank you Leo.