FISHING HATS/CAPS

Started by LTM, February 26, 2014, 03:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Folks,

Fred Hall fishing show comiing to my neck of the woods soon and was thinking about picking up some caps for fishing. The show provides the best selection I can find and try on my craninally endowed head (aka big head). I like both fishing hats AND caps, however I tend to find more caps sutible than hats. I also like to wear "Buff" brand head wear alone and under my head wear.  Whats your favorites and tell us price and where to get it and pictures if you got em!  Hope this proves interesting.

Thanks,

Leo

DaBigOno

How's the one in my Avatar?  

$2.00 @ Arakawa's in Waipahu     ;D
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Keta

Most of my hats are either foil lined or pointed..... ;D
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MFB

That's hell funny...

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Dominick

One of my favorites in my avatar.  It is not easily read.  It says "Cabo San Lucas No Bad Days."  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

DaBigOno

Anybody else going to be at the Biggest & Best fishing show of the year?  

I live in the Long Beach area, and should be there through out the weekend, hopefully not working it

Keta

We just made and packed up a bunch of WPS kill bags for the show but I'm not going.   I hope the SoCal fishermen like my work.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Mandelstam

I'm a big captain Haddock fan and I started to research his darling cap a while ago beacause I wanted one myself. It turned out to be difficult because Hergé based his cap on a number of different navy caps. So I decided to make my own replica instead. It isn't 100% finished yet but I thought I'd show you anyways...

I had an old Swedish visor cap that I used for a basic pattern as I deconstructed it.

I used a nice french felted wool fabric for the cap and some nice glossy black goat skin for the visor. An interesting thing about Haddock's cap is the two golden stripes along the base, they suggest that the cap is from the French navy and not Belgian (where Tintin and Haddock lives).

I also put in a sweat diamond inside it with a made up makers logo

Almost finished, the final thing is just the insignia on the front. I have acquired some real golden thread to embroider the anchor and leaves but I just had to much other stuff going on to really finish it. But soon I hope! And then I'll be proud to wear it on the high seas! With a rod in my hand of course.

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

DaBigOno

Superb!

Karl, you are truly a craftsman!

Mandelstam

Quote from: Dabigono on March 01, 2014, 01:11:35 PM

Superb!

Karl, you are truly a craftsman!

Thank you! But if I told you how many times I had to cut the seams because of a mistake maybe you would think again! :)

/K
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Shark Hunter

Nice Lid Captain Karl! ;)
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

Quote from: Mandelstam on March 01, 2014, 01:15:57 PM

Thank you! But if I told you how many times I had to cut the seams because of a mistake maybe you would think again! :)

/K

A craftsman may make mistakes along the way, but he corrects them until he reaches his goal of what he envisioned.  Hence he crafts a superb or excellent product that people recognize.

A person who is not a true craftsman is satisfied with a mediocre product, and people can also recognize that.

Mandelstam

Quote from: Dabigono on March 01, 2014, 01:36:42 PM
A craftsman may make mistakes along the way, but he corrects them until he reaches his goal of what he envisioned.  Hence he crafts a superb or excellent product that people recognize.

A person who is not a true craftsman is satisfied with a mediocre product, and people can also recognize that.

I agree with you! It's the mistakes that learns you something and with enough mistakes under your belt you are (hopefully) a wiser man. When it comes to sewing and pattern making I feel I need a ship load of mistakes more until I will call myself a craftsman in that profession! :) But it was a fun project and trying out something like this, that you haven't tried before, sure learns you a lot and makes you respect the true professionals even more.

BMITCH

Nice chapeau Karl! That's a looker :o
luck is the residue of design.

Keta

Mark Twain