Will CF Drag Washers in 113H Break Down (Tear/Shred Apart)?

Started by sundaytrucka, March 02, 2014, 01:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

I am asking because a guy at a tackle shop was "mocking" the upgrades to my 113H; he classified them as useless, in that the drags will be eaten up after 5 or 6 50#-100# tuna and a couple of wahoo. I do not take such things as a personal insult, if I caught that load on a trip, I would frankly be proud to change out $18 drag washers on a 30+ year old model, none the less, I really did not understand this person's stance on the drag washers getting eaten up during hard use. He was comparing its use to a Daiwa Saltiga Lever Drag.

He was not putting down the reel itself, he commented it would be fun and means more when you put a real together yourself, but that the drags may not hold up. I personally do not believe that would be the case, but I digress to somebody who has actually done it, or abused it enough and found no issues with the drag life.

I was talking about my plan to use the 113N (5+1 CF drag) with 80# spectra and 40#-60# topshot and a standard 113H (7+1 CF drag) with 80#-100# spectra and 60#-80# topshot, when the comment came up.

I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

bluefish69

ST

What did this KNOW IT ALL recommend for drags?

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

maxpowers

Nope..It would mean that all the reel manufacturers are wrong as many used CF drags in their reels.

sundaytrucka

That was why I asked the question. He was comparing it to a lever drag reel that also uses a CF drag washer. I know the CF is sound, it seems he was implying the function of my old reel would somehow cause the CF washers to wear out or fail prematurely, as the form is very similar to most any star drag reel using CF drags, from a jigmaster to a Saltiga...That is why I brought it up here. Should I Just brush it off as a lever drag fan putting down a star drag, old school at that, for his own sense of self?

Quote from: bluefish69 on March 02, 2014, 01:25:52 AM
ST

What did this KNOW IT ALL recommend for drags?

Mike

Keta

This person does not know what he's talking about, CF has been used without failure in star drag reels for years, HT-100 is the Penn name for it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

maxpowers

just brush it off.  The lever drag will like need to come in for more service than your 113H(s) will need to.

Shark Hunter

Sunday,
Tell that Gentleman at the tackle shop to join up here. He might learn a thing or two. The only thing shredding, is his actual knowledge of the capability of a 113H.
This Shark was caught on a Bone stock 113H and a little help from a Kayak. ;)

Life is Good!

day0ne

I wonder what he thinks they used to catch tuna and wahoo before the Saltiga was invented, especially since Penn has used CF drags for years like Keta stated.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Bryan Young

If you search the internet you will find tons of people that doubted carbon fiber then greased carbon fiber drags...and look where we are today. Convert slow and steady. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

johndtuttle

Your friend in the store may have seen the bad Tyrnos washers that Shimano had trouble with that were falling apart and that led him to make unfounded assumptions.

Carbon fiber drags are used in virtually all of the world's best reels: Accurate, Avet, Daiwa, Penn and Shimano.

If he thinks a Star Drag is not up to whatever the individual reel's components have been engineered to withstand that is just more ignorance.

Star Drags actually put out *more* drag than comparable size lever drag reels do. Unfortunately, star drags suffer from being on the wrong side of the Pinion Gear so that their *effective drag at the spool* is reduced by the reel's retrieval rate ie they lose mechanical advantage as the spool has the pinion gearing to work against the drag they produce. This is also why ARB in handles are so sketchy, the pinion magnifies the forces many times.

Don't worry about your fishing shop "expert". People invent all kinds of erroneous beliefs when they have an incomplete understanding of even the basics of how reels work.

best

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Keta on March 02, 2014, 02:49:40 AM
This person does not know what he's talking about, CF has been used without failure in star drag reels for years, HT-100 is the Penn name for it.

X2

This person I'd be very leery about taking recomendations about gear or tackle in the future.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Brendan

sundaytrucka

Thanks for all the input and advice on this. I do not have some of the experience and knowledge you guys have amassed and helps to know that issue is mute.

I planned on using my 113N w/upgrades for 75#+ tuna.

johndtuttle

Quote from: sundaytrucka on March 02, 2014, 09:49:32 PM
Thanks for all the input and advice on this. I do not have some of the experience and knowledge you guys have amassed and helps to know that issue is mute.

I planned on using my 113N w/upgrades for 75#+ tuna.

pfft, not a problem at all. You'll have great success, just don't gear it too fast and put a nice long handle on it.