Penn solves corrosion problem?

Started by johndtuttle, February 25, 2014, 12:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Hey guys,

Thought I would post this here to generate some discussion, would be curious what the "brain trust" ;D thinks of this...

Got a look at the latest production run of the Penn Torque LD reels and they have gone to a unique nylon fitting on their frame screws:

Which are hardly noticeable once the screw is in:

The fitting is one of these doo-hickeys:

http://www.nyltite.com/fasteners.asp

Which my contact at Penn says they are using as essentially insulators to prevent the current flow that causes our friend electrolysis as well as a little "grip" to prevent loosening.

Just thought I would share and see what you guys thought.

best

BMITCH

You will need to torque those screws at a prescribed amount so as not to flatten or cut the insert. I haven't seen it but will assume that over torqueing or "bearing" down on the screw may cause issues.
luck is the residue of design.

Ron Jones

Always seemed like a good idea to me. In plumbing you use di-electrics and I figure we should have them in reels also.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

franky

Good heavens, now that just puts another reason for us to put a bag of those into our parts drawer.  :-\

I do see the concept of limiting or preventing electrolysis as well as helping to keep the screw snug, however, I would imagine that you'll now have to replace each of them every time you open that reel.

I just grease my screws and so far....no problem.

If you look at newell's design where they have the tephlon lock washer under the handle nut, you'll get the gist of how often those babies get eaten up.  :-[

johndtuttle

Quote from: franky on February 25, 2014, 12:30:59 AM
Good heavens, now that just puts another reason for us to put a bag of those into our parts drawer.  :-\

I do see the concept of limiting or preventing electrolysis as well as helping to keep the screw snug, however, I would imagine that you'll now have to replace each of them every time you open that reel.

I just grease my screws and so far....no problem.

If you look at newell's design where they have the teflon lock washer under the handle nut, you'll get the gist of how often those babies get eaten up.  :-[

yea, we who obsessively service our reels have no trouble with electrolysis solving it with "elbow grease" as in our elbow muscle plus grease ;D. Penn seems to be going the route of how to make the reel "most foolproof from the factory as it is then typically neglected thereafter by user".

Hopefully this will prevent a few from coming to grief though they certainly are not a solution that will enable multiple openings/closings of the reel before they would have to be replaced.

best

Cone

Like the old saying goes. " Just when you think something is idiot proof, someone builds a better idiot."  I happen to resemble that remark.  ;D
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

borchcl

Serviced a couple of Okuma TG 30 2 spds that had something similar on their screws.

Nuvole

basto

Plastics aint plastics!  Lift the hood of any modern car and you will find "plastic" parts everywhere. The non metal materials that are made nowdays can handle all sorts of stress and ranges in temperature.
I am surprised at how fine the lint filter in my clothes dryer is and it has heated up to very high temperatures thousands of times without trouble.
These are the kind of "plastics" we have now. Two obvious advantages are their corrosion proof qualities and their lightness.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Tightlines667

After looking over your service tutorial you posted earlier for this reel, I must say that I was impressed with many of the design features, apparent quality of workmenship, parts, fit n finish, and attention to detail that seems apparent in this reel.  I had been meaning to ask you what kinda drag curve the cam produces, I was wondering if it was a smoother more linear curve on the low end, rather then the quick ramp up so common in small LD reels that are capable of producing high effective drag settings while maintaining free spool (I.e fin nor, avet and others.  

I also took a gander at the penn torque star drag reel schematic and was impressed with this design as well.  I'd like to see a the insides of this guy too.  I'm impressed with the overall drag design, and noticed there is a bearing (55-113hn), as well as a graphite washer under the main gear.  Makes me wonder what kind it is and it's funny how I was just thinking about this as a good idea a few weeks ago, and I know I'm not the only one.  This bearing a washer might be a good starting point for mods to the smaller senators that produce high drag ranges.  

I also liked the spool markings for line capacity.  Nice touches.

Also, I wonder how well the star drag model casts, and what kinda freespool you can get?  Just a few thoughts.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Tightlines666 on March 02, 2014, 01:29:49 AM
After looking over your service tutorial you posted earlier for this reel, I must say that I was impressed with many of the design features, apparent quality of workmenship, parts, fit n finish, and attention to detail that seems apparent in this reel.  I had been meaning to ask you what kinda drag curve the cam produces, I was wondering if it was a smoother more linear curve on the low end, rather then the quick ramp up so common in small LD reels that are capable of producing high effective drag settings while maintaining free spool (I.e fin nor, avet and others. 

I also took a gander at the penn torque star drag reel schematic and was impressed with this design as well.  I'd like to see a the insides of this guy too.  I'm impressed with the overall drag design, and noticed there is a bearing (55-113hn), as well as a graphite washer under the main gear.  Makes me wonder what kind it is and it's funny how I was just thinking about this as a good idea a few weeks ago, and I know I'm not the only one.  This bearing a washer might be a good starting point for mods to the smaller senators that produce high drag ranges. 

I also liked the spool markings for line capacity.  Nice touches.

There is a Service Tutorial and "first look" at the Torque star drag too (25N) posted here. Terrific reel and I would call it best in class as well.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6494.0

Ya know, in that post I think I overlooked that washer and the possibility and it certainly would be a candidate for a "hot rod" I would think. I think I was so certain it would pump out 20lbs of smooth drag it never occurred to me to investigate further. Penn rates it for 25lbs max. The big eared washers function as a "6-stack" though but you might get 5lbs more from a carbontex underneath.

Along those lines I think people underestimate the need for more drag in some cases. Particularly for fishing iron close to the bottom for tropical/near tropic species that pull hard in the first short run trying to break you off in structure. I'm talking the biggest Yellowtail, Ajs and Snappers (50+lbs).

That is not to say that you wouldn't back off the drag after that, it's not a big game trolling reel for fishing 25lbs of drag and performing on 1000yd runs like an 80W...But you can need a lot to stop them short even if you drop the rod tip to hold on.

These new Torques are not your Daddy's Penns in all the best ways. They are superb in the hand and remind me of the best of Shimano in terms of ergonomics, comfortable feel and smoothness.

After that they have superior internals for a lifetime of use.

best regards