Gear For The Trip

Started by Keta, March 18, 2014, 12:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

Quote from: Mel B on April 02, 2014, 11:34:00 PM
nice! is that a 349 handle?

I think Alan said it was a Jigmaster power handle...Has 3 holes & not being an expert at all I think the 349 has 2?

Ron: I hope it can catch yellowtail as well ;D ;D ;D

Big Tim

Ron Jones

The 349 uses the 113H gear sleeve. I think the number for that handle is 24-56.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Quote from: Aiala on April 02, 2014, 11:35:50 PM
Beautiful set-up, Big Tim!

Meantime, I see that you upgraded the handle... any chance you might be interested in selling that old one with the amber knob? If so, PM me.   :)

~A~

You beat me too it, that's my favorite handle.

Quote from: noyb72 on April 03, 2014, 12:28:21 AM
The 349 uses the 113H gear sleeve. I think the number for that handle is 24-56.
Ron

The 349/113H uses either a 24-113H or a 24-349, the 24-56 is for the smaller gear sleeve.  The 2 hole one is a 24-349.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

from what i've been reading at the other board, the chovies are back. in case we are going to toss this bait what rods are suitable/recommended? only thing i know about the rod is it has to be long, at least 8'. as for the reels these are what i'm thinking of bringing; squidder 146 P220F FTH12 TOR-16 400BSV SX and maybe my tom hryniuk's squidder. not decided yet on which to bring... ??? ::) :D ;D

MarkT

Standard 'chovies are no problem with 25-30#.  Micro, 2 eyes and a wiggle Anchovies are another thing, but I've caught Albies on 25# and a #6 hook with them too.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

maxpowers

I have heard of people using cast-a-bubble to send those no-see-ums out to the zone.  May want to load up on some since they are super cheap.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

had to google cast-a-bubble. in here in brasil where i fish we use "boias"=float made of foam and lead for the weight. do you think 40 grams is too heavy for chovies? thanks much!

maxpowers

Mel,

Just pick up the cast -a  - bubble when you get to the US.  Any Walmart, etc.. will have it for like 2 for $1 or so.  The nice thing about the cast - a - bubble is the ability to change the casting weight by adding water and the bubble will slide up your line to allow the bait to swim away.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: maxpowers on April 04, 2014, 02:57:19 PM
...Just pick up the cast -a  - bubble when you get to the US...

sounds good...

MarkT

Cast a bubbles are commonly used for trout fishing.  Slide one on the line, tie on a swivel and a couple feet of leader, tie on a #18 treble hook, add some powerbait and you're good to go.  Fill it with water and cast away!

A one oz chrome torpedo sinker in line works with little chovies too.  I've caught a lot with small bait and the little torpedo.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

maxpowers

We used the cast -a - bubble for spin flyfishing or fishing a feather for bonito.  The splash created by the bubble sounds like fleeing bait fish.

alantani

sliding sinkers can be nice, or just a torpedo sinker on a rubber band.  generally you want to keep the bait down under the water so the birds don't grab them.  bubbles or floats would be counterproductive.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Aiala

I like light rubbercores; they get the bait down, but not like an express train.  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Bryan Young

Can you bring a slingshot to shoot those pesky birds?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Apples work, notice the green one headed for a direct hit on the third bird from the right, it's blocking the fourth bird from the right.  the birds were "painting" our tackle boxes.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain