Gear For The Trip

Started by Keta, March 18, 2014, 12:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

you can, but please check in the the crew to make sure it's ok with them.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

Just be careful if you use egg/sliding sinkers, these can cause tangles if you don't stay in touch with your bait. The sinker slides down the line but your bait may be much higher in the water swimming in the wrong direction wrapping other lines and you'll never know it, well that is until you get bit and you have seven other lines with you.

alantani

yeah, i never use them. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

if worse comes to worst, i'll just use poppers/stick baits surface and yoyo irons...  :) ;) ;D

Big Tim

I need someone smarter than me...should be easy ;D  OK I have a vintage Daiwa SLT30 2 speed with canvas drags epoxied to the drag plate

These are too thick...My best guess is 2mm would work. Dawn at Smooth Drag says she has nothing that thick and most likely the glue would penetrate the fibers. I found carbon fiber plate .06" thick (close) and one side is matte and the other is gloss. My thinking is that I could use the adhesive on the gloss side and customize my own carbon fiber drag washer ? And then I need to find someone to cut into 2 7/8" O.D. x 1 5/8" I.D.  ...  Your thoughts...Would like to try this for the SOA trip.

Tim

link to material: http://www.rockwestcomposites.com/products/402-612

Keta

I can have the parts cut but will need the original parts to do the drawings.  The gloss side can be contoured with a bead blaster to improve adhesion.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Big Tim

Quote from: Keta on April 05, 2014, 06:52:43 PM
I can have the parts cut but will need the original parts to do the drawings.  The gloss side can be contoured with a bead blaster to improve adhesion.

I am going to remove one washer and leave one intact & could send it all to you

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Tim,

i don't think these is the CF you need, but then again i maybe wrong. there was a discussion regarding this type of carbon fiber and i don't remember which thread, sorry. i used to buy carbon fiber chassis for my RC cars and it was cut from this type. here's what you want;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber-Drag-Sheet-Fishing-Reel-Upgrade-/121243650722?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c3aaf4aa2

he doesn't have the size you want but maybe he can get exactly what you need. i bought some sheets from him and if my memory serves me right, Sal(Alto Mare) and Daron(Sharkhunter) also bought from him. also pm wallace he's also selling CF sheets...

Big Tim

Quote from: Mel B on April 05, 2014, 08:02:14 PM
Tim,

i don't think these is the CF you need, but then again i maybe wrong. there was a discussion regarding this type of carbon fiber and i don't remember which thread, sorry. i used to buy carbon fiber chassis for my RC cars and it was cut from this type. here's what you want;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber-Drag-Sheet-Fishing-Reel-Upgrade-/121243650722?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c3aaf4aa2

he doesn't have the size you want but maybe he can get exactly what you need. i bought some sheets from him and if my memory serves me right, Sal(Alto Mare) and Daron(Sharkhunter) also bought from him. also pm wallace he's also selling CF sheets...

Mel, you are right , but that material isn't 2mm thick, that being said I sent a similar link in an email to the company in Utah and 1 on the east coast in hopes to get a response early next week to see if they have that style in 2mm. I won't purchase any until I'm relatively sure it will work.

Tim

Keta

If I'm not cornfused you were going to cut the plates out of the material below, not the friction surfaces, and glue the CF drag material to it.  Am I wrong?  The material below will not work for a friction surface.

http://www.rockwestcomposites.com/products/402-612

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Big Tim

Quote from: Keta on April 06, 2014, 01:58:06 AM
If I'm not cornfused you were going to cut the plates out of the material below, not the friction surfaces, and glue the CF drag material to it.  Am I wrong?  The material below will not work for a friction surface.

http://www.rockwestcomposites.com/products/402-612

Keta: Like Mel, you are right...After a bit more investigating I emailed them about the type of material I needed in hopes to locate the right stuff...So far I have found 1.4mm and maybe will need some shim stock to get the right thickness. I won't buy anything until I know it has a good chance of working.

Tim

sundaytrucka

Can I admit I am upset you guys have not put up pics of your gear for the trip.

I cannot wait for the pics after the trip.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Mandelstam

Quote from: sundaytrucka on April 08, 2014, 05:42:29 AM
Can I admit I am upset you guys have not put up pics of your gear for the trip.

I cannot wait for the pics after the trip.

X2!

We want pics! Some nice juicy gear pron! :D
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

PICS, coming soon or later... :D ;D

Big Tim

OK...Mel knows what I've been working on as far as GEAR for the trip... I am an eBay whore & at least I admit to that problem ... I wheel and deal...I picked up a never used G. Loomis all roller rod for a deal & sold it for a profit, so that I could purchase something fitting for a 30 year old trolling reel...Christmas today ;D ;D ;D It's amazing what you can do for very little money when you put your mind to it.