Gear For The Trip

Started by Keta, March 18, 2014, 12:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: alantani on March 23, 2014, 04:46:47 PM
guys, don't go with too much gear.  figure a 60-80 pound dropper loop rig, two 50's, two 40's, two 30's and a bass rod.   

Would a Curado 200 be a good choice for a bass reel?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

LTM

Mel and company,

This would be a great trip for a Penn 750ss and a 650ss both with braid backing. The 650ss with a topshot of 20/25# for those Calico's at Cedros/Guadalupe would be a BLAST (also jigging to some yellowtails) and the 750ss on some Tuna and large Yellow tail with some poppers should be THRILLING!!!  IM NOT SAYING BRING THIS IN ADDITION but as substitutes to what you were thinking of bringing (maybe as the second 40/25# rigs).

Just a thought,

Leo

Keta

I have a 750SS worked over by Sal and me (my SS parts) but I don't have a spinning rod.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

LTM

Quote from: Keta on March 26, 2014, 05:06:34 AM
I have a 750SS worked over by Sal and me (my SS parts) but I don't have a spinning rod.
Lee,

I couldnt help but laugh out loud!.  You got time to have a rod built!

Leo

Keta

I have 5 rods I have put on hold.

Mark Twain

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Leo

if you go to page one a spinner is on my tentative list. it's probably too much for calicos but it's what i have. i might bring my other spinner (top w/ 40-50#) for poppers/sticks if i find a matching rod before the trip.

as mentioned before i have no on the boat saltwater experience, so this is a chance for me to try things. hopefully, with the arsenal i'm bringing, i'll get at least one fish on the deck. here i always tell people i'm having fun while fishing but happier when i catch and release at least one.

Lee,

time is on your hands.  :)

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Big Tim on March 25, 2014, 11:12:27 PM
I'm thinking drag upgrade & gear ratio upgrade and possibly spool & frame as well...Want to keep it under $200 total as I can buy a new reel for less than that.

Tim

Tim

highly recommended, Alan T.'s SS sleeve and handle  Bryan's 5+1 kit  SS dog/s  Keta's Krank and a bigger star, you won't regret it. and IMHO the frame can wait. :)

i have all these recommendations + more on my 112H. can't help replying to this... ;) ;D

Ron Jones

Listen to Mel brother, he knows what he is talking about.

The 112H and the Jigmaster have the same gears, so if you are looking for speed the 3/0 will retrieve more line per crank. You should be able to do all of Mels recommended mods on a good reel and be in it for a little more than half of your $200.00. Fill that thing with 30 pound mono and you are all set.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Porthos

Big Tim

Quote from: noyb72 on March 26, 2014, 05:37:45 PM

The 112H and the Jigmaster have the same gears, so if you are looking for speed the 3/0 will retrieve more line per crank. You should be able to do all of Mels recommended mods on a good reel and be in it for a little more than half of your $200.00. Fill that thing with 30 pound mono and you are all set.

Ron

OK boys, I'm all in...Found a real nice old 112H. Most likely paid a few bucks to much but I liked what I saw...Now how do I get all these parts you speak of Mel, Ron, Keta, Alan,ect..

Tim

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Tim,

just PM Alan T. for SS sleeve and handle(i have a 4/0)  Bryan Young for the 5+1 kit  Keta for kranks and SS dogs. as for a bigger star i have a 10-505BS ($4.45) from pennparts, if you can wait till the end of May i'll order it for you together with some other parts i need for my reels. :)

Keta

Quote from: Big Tim on March 26, 2014, 09:12:32 PM
Quote from: noyb72 on March 26, 2014, 05:37:45 PM

Ron

OK boys, I'm all in...Found a real nice old 112H. Most likely paid a few bucks to much but I liked what I saw...Now how do I get all these parts you speak of Mel, Ron, Keta, Alan,ect..

Tim

Alan should have some 15-309 AR dogs you can order as a kit with the gear sleeve, if not I have several.

Mark Twain

Big Tim

Quote from: Mel B on March 26, 2014, 09:41:55 PM
Tim,

just PM Alan T. for SS sleeve and handle(i have a 4/0)  Bryan Young for the 5+1 kit  Keta for kranks and SS dogs. as for a bigger star i have a 10-505BS ($4.45) from pennparts, if you can wait till the end of May i'll order it for you together with some other parts i need for my reels. :)

Mel: Will do...As far as the star goes just order with your stuff. It wont take much to change later & I can pay when you order or you can bring it on the trip with you?

Tim

Ron Jones

You will also need a small tub of Cal's drag grease, a marine grease and an oil. Everyone has their favorites when it comes to grease and oil, for your reel I would recomend the Penn maintenance pack with their grease and oil. The kit has enough to maintain several reels and only costs a few bucks.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"