Fishing off the rocks help

Started by Brute347, March 25, 2014, 03:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brute347

Let me know! Maybe we can do some fishing together and I can learn from you a few things :)

spottybastard

Quote from: Brute347 on March 25, 2014, 06:32:24 PM
The Los Angeles area in calif.
Off the surf, Jerry's about 300-600 foot long.
Piers as well but I'm more concerned on setups for Jerry's ( off the rocks ) and the surf.

I don't care what I catch as long as I catch, hehe. But I do love halibut, rockfish, flounder... Don't know much else that can be found there...

I always use squid or mackerel so I'm open to artificial lure suggestions / rigs :)

I live in north Orange County.  Everything you need can be found on this site...
http://www.scsurffishing.com/

Brute347

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Brute347 on March 27, 2014, 03:20:50 PM
Let me know! Maybe we can do some fishing together and I can learn from you a few things :)

definitely!

i was there late oct last yr and caught nothing. i saw a lot of pinoys(Filipinos) and had a good conversation with them. most probably i'll be the one to learn from you because i'm used to overhead casting and it's not allowed.

Brute347

Lol, I go late at night so I can overhead cast because I don't know how the other way lol so I go when it's mostly empty- everyone does it that is there fishing and it's empty so there's no danger to snag anyone but yes it isn't allowed according to the rules

Brute347

So this is what I got to hit the jettys- and the license

The options I'll have for the rod and reel are as follows:

Saltist lever drag 20 hyper speed paired with a shimano teramar 7'11" or 7'4"" 15-30 heavy

Daiwa lexa 300 high speed power handle

I also have a shimano teramar 8' 20-40 heavy

I'm thinking the lexa with the 8' since I'll be on the rocks and it'll help clear the base of the rock formation, which I've read tapers out so getting snagged is very likely. So the extra 8 inches of length might help me steer clear from the rocks ??

What do you guys think? I have 30 pound braided and 40. I bought some plastic lures today, otherwise I'll probably be fishing with squid unless I catch something I can chop up or throw in whole

Thanks for the info guys :) I'm very excited to start

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

BOA PESCA have a great time and be safe...

the rockfish ninja

OK, crash course here. ;) I'm a veteran of this.
-I use 50-80lbs braid & 40-60lb leaders because I target rockfish,lings & cabezon.
-Torpedo shape sinkers or sand bags if you're casting into rocks or kelp.
-Squid. shrimp. and whole small fish work well.
-Swimbaits like Big Hammer & Fishtrap, weedless jig heads help reduce losing gear.
-Always hold your rig, rock fish tend to duck for cover after they hit, you gotta be fast reelin' when they hit.
-single dropper loop gets less snags, so do circle hooks. (Although I use octopus hooks alot)
-Keep moving, don't stay in one place if it doesn't produce.
-You don't have to cast too far sometimes they're right under you.
...and lastly...BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY.. BE SAFE OUT THERE!!! don't fish from wet rocks or near crashing waves and try to fish with a friend.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Brute347

Thank you, that helps a ton- I got 30 pound test braid on right now- I'm at the store buying jigging hooks with a weighted head- is 1 1-8 ounce too heavy?

Brute347

Hey guys, what's the best times to fish off of the Jetty's ?

mackereljoe

Mostly use 3" swimbait, big hammer AA monarch curly tail on a ML steelhead type rod 8-10', spinning or baitcast #6-10 mono.  I stick with the standard round jighead with bronze hooks.  It's cheap and will rust out of the fish that broke off.  Outside the breakers, the same type rod in MH power optimum for #20.  This is the rig for my 4-6" pearl swimbaits.  I'm currently using an old Fenwick 8.5" rated for 6-17 (#6-8 optimum) and an unknown blank 9' #50 spectra 3' #30 floro or straight #20 mono.  When the fishing gets really picky, I breakout my whipping outfit, sliding sinker, 8' #6 floro, #10 mosquito hook with 2" curly tail, making crawl slowly on sandy bottom.

mackereljoe

Best time is when the tide shift and current is moving.  Cast out so that your lure is swimming with the current, most fish will be facing what's drifting towards them specially halibut. 

Brute347

More info to study, I didn't understand all those numbers lol.

So I fished for about 6 hours from 2 pm to about 7. I caught nothing. I was casting out into deep water- that lexa 300 is great for casting. I was using 1 and 3/4 ounce weights with the artificial lures from the picture and also tried squid. Got 2 bites. My friend went with me she got a rockfish, a sculpin I believe but we let it go if was 13 inches long.

A guy came and in 15 minutes caught a small halibut and two really really big fish that were silver with bluish hue on the top.. He was using the same setup as me . A 36-40 inch leader with a 1 ounce  weight at the bottom and a fake lure- his looked like a big long tadpole green in color - direct on the leader about 3 feet up from the bottom weight. Light jigging and letting it settle... I hate him. But that's another story hedod a great job lol

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Brute,

the more you fish, same type of fishing but different locations, the more you learn from these vets. but then what do i know... :D ;D

looking forward fishing with you...

Brute347

Hehe, yeah I'm reading so much. There's so much that goes into it, I never realized!

Me too I'm looking forward to meeting people to fish with, most of my friends want nothing to do with it because it's yucky and smells fishy lol