Fishing off the rocks help

Started by Brute347, March 25, 2014, 03:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Benjamin,

it's one of those days and it will not be the last. at least you went to fish. was there free dinner? ;D ;D ;D

Brute347

Haha! No, she couldn't make it.  I did meet some hotties from japan though

They were freaking out over the rocks shaking when the waves hit.

It was fun even though I didn't catch anything

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Brute347 on April 07, 2014, 04:04:23 PM
It was fun even though I didn't catch anything

now that's what i'm talking about. but wait how about the video when these hotties were freaking out.;D ;D ;D

Brute347

I'm going again this Saturday, I ordered a teramar SE medium heavy 15-25 7'6 so I'm gonna try that out. My 15-30 is a tad big too stiff I'm thinking maybe I wasn't feeling bites so I wasn't setting the hook cause of lack of sensitivity.... That's my excuse to buy another rod anyway lol don't correct me if I'm wrong lol!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Benjamin, i don't know if this language is allowed here, just a reminder there is a rule here called the "12 yr old". it refers to Alan T.'s daughter. also check the Ohana board there are 2 polls there that you might be interested in.

i'll be fishing for 2 days and 2 nights starting tomorrow, i'll be back thursday. till then...

Brute347

Oh hehe! Sorry I was just stating what I saw lol

Good luck to you, I gotta wait til Saturday for my chance

Before I forget to ask- I was told that you don't need a license to fish off of the jettys in Southern California??

I'll  check out the rods,  I've  been going to  a lot of tackles shops and everyone keeps suggesting I have one custom made but that sounds very pricy- if seems every guy that works out turners outdoors makes rods on the side

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Brute347 on April 08, 2014, 03:16:42 AM
...I was told that you don't need a license to fish off of the jettys in Southern California??

you need a license, only on piers allowed without one...bottom of page 3 of 2014-2015 Ocean Sport Fishing Regulations.

Bryan Young

Chef out each rod that you buy by flexing it.  Rest the button of the rod on the floor and let the tip of the rod rest on the palm of your hand then with the other hand press down on the rod.  The rod should turn to the bend. The guides should be on top for a spinner or on the bottom for a casting rod. Once you find a rod that has the guides on the proper side, hold the rod out in one had with arm extended and the guides facing down. Then look at all of the guides one by one. The rod should direct each guide in half.  If not the guides are crooked. Then, if the store will let you, mount your reel and thread your line through the rod and ask the sales person to hold the line and flex the threaded rod. As the sales person to pull and make a few jersey like there is a fish on the end of the line. This will give you a feel of the rod in your hands.  Then I buy what I like...  only a few stores have allowed me to do this in SoCal.  Performance Tackle off of Katella I think, that fishing store off of Bell and knocks I think and long fin in Orange.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Brute347

Yeah I've been doing that. I am not yet accustomed to what they should feel like. There is so much difference from line to rods to weights to lengths, it's such a complex process of having exact matches so nothing is thrown off. Free spin of the reel matters so much too.

I'm trying to find a rod that will be sensitive to small nibbles and when I pull to set the hook it won't bend like it's got a 50 pound fish in there but just enough to snap back after the jerk.

The 15-30 teramar feels great at 7'6 and 7'11" but I want just a by more flex overall.

I am not having much luck with the jettys and I'm thinking it's because I'm not detecting nibbles.

I did cast out of the pear with a 4" grub and I have a really hard and strong pull and it bent the rod really god but it unhook.  I almost forgot that happened cause I was so annoyed by the people next up me with the radio blasting. Ugh

So were gonna see this sat. Rod gets here Thursday I'm gonna put the lexa 300 on it.

I did learn recently that, a 3/4 ounce weight lets me cast as far as a 2 ounce. I think it's because the rod snaps the weight better cause it gets a better bend than the 2 ounce, which essentially gets lobbed instead of casted.
Very cool to be learning all this stuff.

If i don't start catching soon I'm gonna start hand lining or spear fishing lol

Ron Jones

I agree with everything Bryan says, of course, but I also simulate a medium cast with the rod back and forth. Sort of like false casting a fly rod. This loads the rod up in a dynamic way and I really get to feel where the power is and how much flex there is in the but, if any.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

maxpowers

Quote from: Brute347 on April 08, 2014, 03:16:42 AM

Before I forget to ask- I was told that you don't need a license to fish off of the jettys in Southern California??

Some jetties are considered piers since they are man-made and ocean facing.  On those you are allowed to fish without a license.  I always buy a license though since there are time when I want to fish the beach for surf species before heading onto the jetties or piers.  Definitely any of the public docks inside Newport Beach harbor require a license.

Bryan Young

Look for a rod with an extra fast tapor.  The rod should be labeled extra fast.  This is where only the tip flexes.  The tip will usually be very soft but the rest of the blank will be stout. 

If extra fast is not available, choose fast.  I do not fish anything less than a fast taper when tossing jigs, artificials,...  it gives me better control of the lure action and fighting the fish from the rocks/beach.

Brute347

Max, for fishing off of the surf, can I do it anywhere or is it designated beaches only??? I've gone to zuma beach and higher up north but where I've fished there hasn't been any people Round. Here in the la area there's people everywhere...

Also- a guy I talked to at the rocks told me he got a ticket for fishing at the docs, but I'm not sure if it was because he didn't have a license or another reason

The rod I got is a medium heavy fast action, arrives tomorrow- I'm excited. Got red sand works and 4" swimming mullets from amazon today

maxpowers

Brute,

Yup you can fish at almost all beaches except for a few that are in the mlpas.  The only thing is if there are a lot of swimmers, surfers, etc around, the lifeguards may asked you to leave.  As for the ticket for fishing the docks, most of the docks in LA county do not allow fishing and only about 6-7 docks are available for fishing in Newport harbor.  Look up the following hardbaits : luckycraft, megabass, etc..They can be deadly for surf fishing for halibuts.  My biggest from the shore was about 32 inches or so and caught about 30 feet from shore on a slow retrieve.