Fishing off the rocks help

Started by Brute347, March 25, 2014, 03:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brute347

When I look up luckycraft and mega bass, what am I looking for specifically? The search throws a bunch of stuff at me. And halibut is what I want to get good at catching. But I'm getting a lot of mixed information. I get a lot of people who say fish with heavy gear and only live bait and others who say fish really light gear because they are scared of the fishing line and things like that.

I've been casting out where the water breaks ( casting from the rocks) and retrieving against the current so the mullets or little imitation worms look more lively. So far I've only had one halibut bite. I'm going to try again this Saturday with a much lighter rod. I'm hoping I've been missing the bites.

Being that the only available time I have is the weekends, I have been fishing in really crappy weather/ water. Really rough water and cloudy skies. As far as weather and water conditions go, I just try and hope for the best, no other choice, lol

Thanks for the advice though I welcome all information if just takes a whole to make sense of it and process it lol

Brute347

I found their top 5 colors, there's one called sexy smelt it's 50 dollars lol that's a heart attack if I get snagged lol

Bryan Young

I have yet caught a halibut, but have felt one biting and spitting out my bait...and I got too excited and tried to set the hook prematurely and poof he was gone.

Slow retrieve is the best with a short, quick snap (1" wrist snap) if you are fishing in the sand to bring up a puff of sand and let the jig rest for a second or so then slow retrieve and snap...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

I have described my halibut technique earlier. Light rig, white twin tailed scampi just as slow as you can stand.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Benjamin,

IMHO it's better to have a license and you'll be also contributing to the preservation of the planet, I HOPE... :D ;D

Brute347

I will try the techniques you guys suggested!

And i do have a license, I was mostly curious because last Saturday I forgot mine lol went to the doctors and completely forgot to grab it from my watch case so I fished with out it- that's when looked it up and asked other people on the jetty if you needed a license, they said no except for the guy who got a ticket at the docks

maxpowers

Brute,

PM me your address.  I'll send you one of my extra Luckycraft lure.  I usually fish it with 30 lb braid and use a swivel if I want to change to a carolina rig.  I do have a third grip holder to allow me to carry an tra rod without carrying a backback.

Brute347

No- thank you those are yours I'd feel bad. I looked at their prices and they're very expensive lol
But thank you I appreciate it, I'll just have to wait for some extra cash to buy that Ms anchovy. I read it's their best lure for halibut!
My rod is at home, gotta get through 2 hrs of traffic then I'm gonna go set it up for Saturday morning fishing- Friday can't get here fast enough lol

LTM

Brute,

I think your fishing too HEAVY IMHO. My experience in fishing halibut derbys etc is that the max line I would use is !5# test and thats heavy for me. Ive caught many halibut (up to 25#) on 12# mono. In regards to lures/bait for halibut, Im with Bryan on the camo colored sand worm by Gulp. However, Ive caught them on AA size swim baits and 3" swim baits with a SLOOOOOW retrieve.  Try scaling back in your gear and maybe take a 12/15# outfit with you next time. Also try setting some swim baits up with trap hooks to increase your hookups.

Leo

Brute347

I've got 30 lb braid on the reel, I can put a 12 lb leader on it. I do have the worms by gulp, both the camp and the red, 6" long. Gonna try em out this sat!

LTM

Brute,

Cut the sand worms into short 2-3" sections and thread onto hook. You dont need the entire worm.

Leo

PS  If you have the chance/time, visit Pete @ JustFishing in Redondo Beach on 190thSt and Anza. He's a wealth of info.

Brute347

Been here since 6 haven't gotten a bite, ugh.

Been using the whole worm, been using the 4" gulp smelt, nothing. The water is really murky though :/

Gonna go walk over to the docs see if you can fish there maybe the structures will be hiding fish

Starting to get discouraged though

The rod is great though lol

Gonna see about the bait shop maybe once I leave

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Brute347 on April 12, 2014, 04:18:24 PM
Been here since 6 haven't gotten a bite, ugh.
Starting to get discouraged though

don't get discouraged, it's called fishing not getting. ;D and don't forget patience is a virtue.:) btw will there be dinner?  ;D

Brute347

Lol yes if I catch something otherwise no lololololol

Brute347

Woo hoo!