Penn Mag Power 970

Started by Alto Mare, March 29, 2014, 11:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 30, 2014, 07:14:00 PM
That stainless sleeve double dogged 14/0 I bought off you sounds like a Gatling Gun! ;D
;D ;D, your package should be at your front stoop by tomorrow.

Aiala, have you considered this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-980-Mag-Power-Conventional-Fishing-Reel-FRC-5/250866406271?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222006%26algo%3DSIC.FITP%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D21398%26meid%3D5856565134843568599%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D9407%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D121302407178
you could probably make him an offer and it would be good to have extra parts for that reel, I'm thinking they didn't make many :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Aiala

Sal, yes, I've seen it several times, and it looks just a little too beat-up for me. With that much outward abuse, who's to say the internals are still okay, y'know?  :-\

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Shark Hunter

Thanks Sal! ;D
Did you ever get to work on those two 113H's from Hippie in Lancaster?
Life is Good!

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Aiala on March 30, 2014, 07:04:29 PM
Quote from: Irish Jigger on March 30, 2014, 06:39:48 PM
Nice boxed reel, sold for $125.
Quite a lot about in the UK.
Popular with the surf fishers.

Huh? This one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/121302407178?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

According to eBay, it didn't sell; zero bids. I wonder if the seller will re-list it...  ???

~A~

Sorry,it didn't sell.
$125 was the starting bid,quite high for over here.

Aiala

Quote from: Irish Jigger on March 30, 2014, 08:16:25 PM

The pictures are lousy, so it's hard to tell, but according to the description the reel is virtually flawless. I bet he'd get that asking price here in the US... or pretty close to it, anyway.  :)

~A~

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 30, 2014, 08:01:50 PM
Thanks Sal! ;D
Never heard back from him. :-\ As you and most of the members here know, I'll help anyone out, but I'm not going to beg to give my free service. He knows how to get me if he wants to, we could probably have them fixed in 10 minutes. ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Aiala on March 30, 2014, 08:37:25 PM
Quote from: Irish Jigger on March 30, 2014, 08:16:25 PM

The pictures are lousy, so it's hard to tell, but according to the description the reel is virtually flawless. I bet he'd get that asking price here in the US... or pretty close to it, anyway.  :)

~A~
The one above cost me just about the same, I thought I got a good deal, the reel is very clean.
Of course it almost double its value from the upgrades ;D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Sal, stop i have no more pockets... ;D

Alto Mare

As mentioned above, I really like these reels, but the rod clamp bolts don't make sense to me and I'm not crazy about them

so I decided to replace them. I placed the stand on a towel on a hard surface and whacked the two pins with a hammer, they popped right out

I like to thank Satbchbum and Aiala for opening my eyes on this one, these are great little reels.
and here is the upgraded clamp and bolts

much better now.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 30, 2014, 08:41:41 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 30, 2014, 08:01:50 PM
Thanks Sal! ;D
Never heard back from him. :-\ As you and most of the members here know, I'll help anyone out, but I'm not going to beg to give my free service. He knows how to get me if he wants to, we could probably have them fixed in 10 minutes. ;D

I'd bet he found the problem and was too embarrassed to tell us what he did.  We all mess up at times and it would have been nice to know what the problem was.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I might have scared him off unintentionally. In his original post, I just pretty much said we have all been willing to help, but when you pass up Help from Sal. There is a problem.
Life is Good!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Keta on April 21, 2014, 02:03:32 AM
...it would have been nice to know what the problem was.

X2

Aiala

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 21, 2014, 01:03:26 AM
As mentioned above, I really like these reels, but the rod clamp bolts don't make sense to me and I'm not crazy about them... I'd like to thank Satbchbum and Aiala for opening my eyes on this one, these are great little reels...and here is the upgraded clamp and bolts... much better now.

So glad you've become a fan, Sal... if you like 'em, that pretty much says how good they are!

Funny, both of my 980s came with the regular old-style clamps... must be a 970 thing.   :)

~A~

jaypeegee

Hi

I was looking at these as a possible alternative to a Penn 525 mag for distance casting then saw this post

There are two for sale here in NZ if of interest.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/fishing/salt-water/casting-spinning-reels/auction-720859317.htm

and

http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/fishing/salt-water/casting-spinning-reels/auction-720856414.htm

If you are able to bid from a Non NZ country (I don't know if possible or how easy if so) then have at it.

Alto Mare

Thanks Jaypeegee, I'm very much interested, especially for the one with the box, but unfortunately the shipping costs won't make it happen.
If no one else is interested and you were able to get involved, I would let you buy it and have you send it to me. I would send you money at the end of the auction, but the total for the one with the box  would need to be around $160, including shipping to US. The other, I would do $120. 
Put it this way, if you win for less, I'll send you the amount I mentioned above and you keep the change, but I'm sure it won't happen ;D
Thanks for showing those here, take care.
Sal