Line spooler

Started by Tiddlerbasher, August 20, 2014, 04:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Tiddlerbasher

Thank you for the kind words guys, it means a lot  :)

I've attached a 'schematic' of the drag assembly - No CAD software so I used Microsft Paint - it's a bit crude hope it's o.k.

I tried a foot control for the motor speed but decided against it. The speed control on the base board was more than adequate. Left hand for manual level wind - right hand for speed control. Once the speed is set (usually max  :D) it doesn't need changing 'til the reel is almost full. The control goes from 0 to 180 rpm in one turn. Spinning reels can be accomodated by mounting them on the top of the reel mount and flicking the direction switch on the PWM electronics. Or remove the spool from the reel and use one of the adapters to mount it in a drill.

gstours

Thanks for sharing you line spooling masterpiece....its very well thought out. and executed.   I,m sure you wanted it badly to spend this much time and effort in finishing it ........very good job indeed.......a ten star rating!
  I hope to something someday, but like others havent yet!!!!!!

Reel 224

Very well designed and worked out. I have an old Edistal hobby lathe that I was thinking about converting into a rod wrapping device,now you got me thinking on line spooler. ??? ::)  decisions,decisions. ;D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

jonnou

You have fine Fabricaton skills
I am confident that is a better unit than could be purchased
Thanks for sharing

Tiddlerbasher

Thank you for the kind words guys :)

Boatzilla

I was looking at a commercial unit that is over $1,000 that had far less capability, great job!
Precision Auto Reels Sales and Service
Mister Chummer Chum Grinders
Dehookers

Nuvole

Roughly what's the dimension of the base? I'm pretty limited with resources here, planning to buy a ikea cutting board(11" x 18") for the base.
I'll be using a cheap 180W sewing machine motor from ebay.

Tiddlerbasher

Hi Nuvole,
The baseboard is a kitchen cupboard door 28" x 20", left over from a makeover.
The sewing machine motor can't produce the power and torque required for this job (been there tried that ::)). This is why I went for the 36v DC E-bike motor - they are cheap, controllable, and easily available (e.g. Ebay $17). Being DC means it can be reversed (when spooling spinners). PWM motor control provides good torque even at low speeds. It will still need to be geared down. I used twin small timing pulleys to give a ratio providing 180 rpm (plenty quick enough). The reel mount,for spooling braid, has to be very strong. There is a surprising amount of pressure applied to it. My original attempt used 8mm bolts - they bent easily :o. I upgraded them to 10mm and fitted 2 support bars which shares the load at each end of the reel mount. Radial bearings are all suppoted by thrust bearings - the axial loads are very high. The drag system was the easy bit - once I sorted out the supply spool coupling. It's just a simple lever drag reel type of system. Hope this helps and don't let the apparent complexities put you off - it's do-able :)

Nuvole

Hi Tiddlerbasher,

Thanks very much for your precious advice.
Guess, I have to read up more on the gearing system.

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on May 11, 2015, 08:43:09 AM
Hi Nuvole,
The baseboard is a kitchen cupboard door 28" x 20", left over from a makeover.
The sewing machine motor can't produce the power and torque required for this job (been there tried that ::)). This is why I went for the 36v DC E-bike motor - they are cheap, controllable, and easily available (e.g. Ebay $17). Being DC means it can be reversed (when spooling spinners). PWM motor control provides good torque even at low speeds. It will still need to be geared down. I used twin small timing pulleys to give a ratio providing 180 rpm (plenty quick enough). The reel mount,for spooling braid, has to be very strong. There is a surprising amount of pressure applied to it. My original attempt used 8mm bolts - they bent easily :o. I upgraded them to 10mm and fitted 2 support bars which shares the load at each end of the reel mount. Radial bearings are all suppoted by thrust bearings - the axial loads are very high. The drag system was the easy bit - once I sorted out the supply spool coupling. It's just a simple lever drag reel type of system. Hope this helps and don't let the apparent complexities put you off - it's do-able :)

Slazmo

Absolutely beyond words! Ingenious work there!!!

Clipper

Destined for the Smithsonian!
Another day in Paradise!

Tiddlerbasher

Cheers Guys :) It was born out of sheer frustration and necessity. No shop in the UK spools braid correctly. Come to think of it - I have never found one that can spool mono properly ???
In the UK we are a decade+ behind the US in terms of fishing tackle :( Most tackle shops are primarily concerned with crap fishing (intentional typo :D).

PE Pete

Hi Chris, that's nothing short of amazing mate!
How long did it take & when can you make me one?? LOL
Pete

Tiddlerbasher

Hi Pete & welcome!
The initial build took abot 1 1/2 weeks - a few hours a day. The refinement took months :D - I've literally just finished an upgrade to the "drive tower" to improve the adjustable mounting system. These things just evolve sometimes. I still get a buzz when somebody watches me spool their reel with hundreds of meters of line - effortlessly -  ;D Making you one could take quite a while :D