Custom Wood Tackle Boxes

Started by mmayo, November 24, 2014, 06:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Beautiful work and great exhibition of pride in your work.

mmayo

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 25, 2014, 06:15:08 PM
Is the 8th one down made from Koa wood?  I just love the craftsmanship.

The wood is Guanacaste wood from Costa Rica. It is their national wood. That one is my box.
Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.

alantani

see, mark!  i told you people would like these!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mmayo

New "Ammo Box-sized" tackle box. A fisherman from Tennessee asked me to build him a tackle box that was much smaller. It was fun to try something different. Here are photos depicting the stages in its assembly.

Here it is with only 2 of 6 coats of finish

A size comparison with its big brother.

Ron Jones

That is fantastic. I just brought home a few metal boxes, maybe I'll build a box for them.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Nice job mmayo!... Dowels or biscuits?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mmayo

On the big boxes, I use several size 0 biscuits. The little one easily holds 21 pounds with just TiteBond III.

Bryan Young

Very beautiful Mark.  Love mahogany wood.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

stevef

Ron Jones

Forgot about glue. I've got a gallon or more of Titebond but no waterproof stuff. I'll have to fix that. I've got some koa accent strips ripped up that would look awesome in one of those.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mmayo

The type III is very tough, so tough the wood will break before the joint- I've tried it a few times. I gave up on gorilla glue because I did not like black hands. Water cleanup with TiteBond III is money.

Post your result.

coastal_dan

Beautiful craftsmanship, thanks for sharing and good luck with the sales!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

mmayo

Sixth coat done.

broadway

Mark,
    You're certainly a talented craftsmen... those boxes are art, but can't imagine using one on a boat, they're just too pretty!
Looks like you use all quality hardware as well.
Beautiful,
Dom

Alto Mare

Yes, you do some beautiful work Mark.
Dom, I wouldn't be too concerned, that box has a nice shield for protection.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.