Show Off Your Long Beach

Started by Penn Chronology, December 12, 2014, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 15, 2016, 07:38:13 AM
Live and Learn
Be glad you can do this. I know plenty who seem unable.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Superhook

Mike,

Penn could have had the LS #60 & #65's in the market before the catalogs. I think they had the white spools out and appearing in other reels besides the Long Beaches before the Black plastic spools .

Ray

sdlehr

Quote from: Superhook on January 15, 2016, 09:01:00 AM
Mike,

Penn could have had the LS #60 & #65's in the market before the catalogs. I think they had the white spools out and appearing in other reels besides the Long Beaches before the Black plastic spools .

Ray
Especially during the 3 years they produced no catalogs... which is the time frame we are discussing...

Sid
Sid Lehr

Penn Chronology

QuotePenn could have had the LS #60 & #65's in the market before the catalogs. I think they had the white spools out and appearing in other reels besides the Long Beaches before the Black plastic spools .

QuoteEspecially during the 3 years they produced no catalogs... which is the time frame we are discussing...

The ere here is just pre,, during and post WW II. Those years present documentation problems for all the production because of the restrictions the War Production Board placed on makers". Catalogs many times time did not reflect products. It is a good thing to hash these production questions out in the forums, that is how we discover things.

sdlehr

Quote from: thorhammer on January 13, 2016, 09:43:40 PM
Hey Sid, I got to thinking and remembered I had this 65 spool, no numbers, NOS (was in the green box when I acquired it but the box, he gone). I never installed it and made a 65 - 3/0 Frankenpenn instead.

You likey?
Thanks to John (Thorhammer) for this spool that I've installed on my Long Beach 65; it's the shiniest spool I've got!

Sid Lehr

Shark Hunter

Good Work Sid,
That John is Good people. ;D
Life is Good!

thorhammer

sdlehr

I really like the Long Beaches, especially the picture plates. Does anyone know if the 66 and 67 models ever left the factory with picture plates? I have a 68 with a picture plate, but all the 66's and 67's I've seen have had plain left side plates, wondering if they came along too late ?? It wouldn't be hard to create one,  but I'm interested in how they came out of Philadelphia.

Sid
Sid Lehr

Superhook

Hello Sid,

You can check this same thread to see photos of 66's with graphic tail plates on pages 2 & 8 . 67's on pages 6 & 9 .

History - The earliest were plain , then graphics and then back to plain.

Ray

sdlehr

Thanks, Ray. All these Long Beach models and years are still muddled together in my brain. I just re-read this entire thread and still don't have it all straight with respect to years and models. It did help a lot to lay out all my Long Beaches on my bench and line them up to observe sizes and spool capacities. I have 60, 65, 66, 67 and 68, still looking to see my first 61, 62 and 63. The 66 and 67 both have the right side plate without a number. Mike writes that these are early plates, but both reels with these plates came on reels with the older, rounded left side plates. There's no guarantee these non-numbered right side plates are original; Mike states that he thinks these were used as replacements (for factory repairs?).

Sid
Sid Lehr

Penn Chronology

Sid,

I believe you have my Penn Collectors Companion book (green book). If you read Chapter 6 (page 46), you may gain a bit more understanding about the Long Beach. That model has quite a few branches and easily becomes a confusing model to follow.

Best,

Mike C.

Live2Fish

Looking to get some info on this long beach 60...doubt it's very old. My friend got it from his father in law who's been retired for a while.  I'm gonna clean it up and he's planning to fish it as his nearshore bottom fishing reel.

Penn Chronology

QuoteLooking to get some info on this long beach 60...doubt it's very old. My friend got it from his father in law who's been retired for a while.  I'm gonna clean it up and he's planning to fish it as his nearshore bottom fishing reel.

By the shape of the side plates, I would put this reel in the mid 1950's; but, some of the parts look to be updated. I do not think the spool and stand are original to the reel.

Live2Fish

Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 13, 2016, 01:54:09 PM
QuoteLooking to get some info on this long beach 60...doubt it's very old. My friend got it from his father in law who's been retired for a while.  I'm gonna clean it up and he's planning to fish it as his nearshore bottom fishing reel.

By the shape of the side plates, I would put this reel in the mid 1950's; but, some of the parts look to be updated. I do not think the spool and stand are original to the reel.
Didn't think it was that old.  Insides are in great shape.  Thanks for the info.  It came in a somewhat vintage 3-Jays rod with wooden handle.  My friend just wanted a rough idea what he's fishin with.   Thank you.  Much appreciated.  I'll post better pictures after I clean it up.

thorhammer

Quote from: sdlehr on February 15, 2016, 04:38:56 PM
I really like the Long Beaches, especially the picture plates. Does anyone know if the 66 and 67 models ever left the factory with picture plates? I have a 68 with a picture plate, but all the 66's and 67's I've seen have had plain left side plates, wondering if they came along too late ?? It wouldn't be hard to create one,  but I'm interested in how they came out of Philadelphia.

Sid

Just got a picture plate 66, and it has non-numbered parts!!!