Show Off Your Long Beach

Started by Penn Chronology, December 12, 2014, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Ray is correct. Back in the 1930's that Trade Mark showed up on Penn and Ocean City reels.

Here it is on a Ocean City Trade reel:

And the Box it came in:

Penn Chronology

QuoteI would really appreciate it if someone would please tell me what the black diamond on the left side plate of this reel means, and what size this reel is.  It's a small diameter (3") old Long Beach with a frame width of 1 5/8".

If by frame width, you mean the measurement between the trim rings on the inside of the frame, then you have a Model 62--150 yard Long Beach with the Diamond Trade reel mark. That would make for a pretty rare reel.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

That's what I meant by frame width Mike.  The cross bars and the base are 1 5/8" wide.

Maxed Out

Randy, I'll give you $150 for that long beach right now if you wish to part with it. I have been focusing more pre war long beach and Penn trade reels for my collection. That one needs to be under glass. Its a beauty !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Maxed Out

BTW Randy, your long beach is a 62.

Superhook

Randy,

My apology on the size of your Long Beach . I'd fixated on the white diamond and the measurements never even registered. Good that Mike and Ted picked up and saved the day.

Ray

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Max Doubt on December 22, 2014, 02:30:50 AM
Randy, I'll give you $150 for that long beach right now if you wish to part with it. I have been focusing more pre war long beach and Penn trade reels for my collection. That one needs to be under glass. Its a beauty !!

You have a deal, if you are OK with paying $7 for shipping by Priority Mail with tracking.  If that works for you, send your email address to me at rfpauly@aol.com and I will send you a Paypal invoice.  I will pick up the Paypal fee.  Please do not send the payment as a Paypal gift to save me the fee because I really like using their service  and I don't want to stiff them.

Thanks,

Randy

Maxed Out

Thanks Randy, I will e mail you and we can get the paypal taken care of. $7 is more than fair for shipping. Thanks Randy, I am looking forward to giving that reel a good home.

Thanks to Ray (superhook) also for letting me know you so kindly accepted my offer even though it wasn't for sale. I hadn't looked at the thread since I posted that offer and might not have noticed your follow-up post. Thanks Ray, now I really owe you after you let me win the maroon LB.

Ted

Shark Hunter

Older penn 67 with picture plate.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Here is another little treasure from Ted( MaxDoubt)...enjoy
Nice reel Ted ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

Thanks for posting that Sal.

Someday I wanna grow up and figure out how to post pics on my own.

That is a early to mid 1940's LB 60 and supposedly unused. I see nothing to argue with that assessment after seeing the inside parts. Plastic spools were put on many LB 60's from the war era, likely from lack of raw materials for the metal parts.

The really rare thing about this particular long beach is it's a lefty. Yep, it's a southpaw on the left coast. A definite keeper !!!

BTW Daron, the 67 you just showed us looks to be a pre war version (don't ask me how I know, I just do).... Those are few and far between in any condition.

broadway

Nothing like a vintage lefty like that... they are few and far between because no one wanted to spend the extra dough.  It's cheaper to switch dominant hands from lefty to righty and your reel can be shared amongst family/friends. ;)
...I'm that lefty that fishes with righty's all the time so I can pass my rod off to guests on the boat. It's a real mess to see them trying to crank on my lefty, and almost a guaranteed lost fish, too. >:(
Nice find, Ted.
BTW, If I can post pictures on here... your dog can ;D
Thanks
Dom

Ron Jones

I've been told my whole life that I am lucky that I'm a lefty and therefore a conventional reel is set up for me. If you work the rod a lot then you want your dominant hand on the rod. I grew up with the montra "the rod brings the fish in, the reel holds the line" and it still holds true today.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Jerseymic

Quote from: noyb72 on December 29, 2014, 12:40:00 AM
I've been told my whole life that I am lucky that I'm a lefty and therefore a conventional reel is set up for me. If you work the rod a lot then you want your dominant hand on the rod. I grew up with the montra "the rod brings the fish in, the reel holds the line" and it still holds true today.
Ron

I totally agree with you Ron, I am also a lefty, and it feels natural to use the rod with my strongest arm.

Mike.

Penn Chronology

Funny thing about Left Handed people. They seem to be different than others. Going way back in history to the Roman Empire, they considered Left Handed people evil. Doubt if that is true but Lefty's certainly knows how to make things look unbalanced.

Early Penn reels were special ordered and had to be made special. More modern reels were molded in such a way that the dog mounting could be on either side of the plate. Penn pre-war head plates had to be cut out to mount the dog so it rode on the lower portion of the anti-reverse gear.

These models are Penn Bay Heads. The reel on the left has a standard molded head plate, the reel on the right has material removed from under the dog to allow the dog to be pushed down under the anti-reverse gear. A special spring is mounted to provide for the dog to be pressed up against the bottom of the gear.