Show Off Your Long Beach

Started by Penn Chronology, December 12, 2014, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unutt

Whoda thunk I would have a Long Beach.  Who knows where I got it.

So many reels, so little time.

fIsHsTiiCkS

I like those green handles. Just wish the knob was bigger as they are to small for my hands

Islandgypsy

Some LB 60's  I've been finding here in Central Oregon. These were popular reels in the days before down riggers came on the scene. Widely used in our lakes for Makinaw (Lake Trout) and Kokanee trolling were it was necessary to use heavy sinkers to get down to the zone. The steel gears and 2.5 to 1 gear ratio was just right for grinding in heavy sinkers and lake trolls.

Course the cool thing about finding these for cheap at garage sales and flea markets is they have never been used in salt water and after you get the tar removed from the innards most clean up in great condition.They are still to this day great for salmon trolling and shallow water rockfish.

Does someone know the year Penn changed from the flat side plate (this reel ) to the convex, rounded plate found on all LB's since. Found Michael's book under the tree this Christmas but can't find anything regarding the plate change. (Michael, if you weigh in here, thank you for your research and contribution , the book is a must have; you were right Dom  :)

Maxed Out

From the LB reels I've handled that were in original boxes, I'd say it was right about 1950/51. I have yet to see one with the old style plates with part numbers stamped, which tells me they switched to the newer style sideplates about the same time they started stamping the part numbers on all the parts.....and that is 1950/51 era.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Islandgypsy

Thanks for the info , Ted. Reel has no part numbers anywhere so that jibes . -Greg

Newell Nut

I saw 4 nice cobia caught on these little reels yesterday on the party boat. Back in the summer and fall a lot of big AJs were pulled in with them too. Tough little simple reels with a nice low gear.

Penn Chronology

QuoteFrom the LB reels I've handled that were in original boxes, I'd say it was right about 1950/51. I have yet to see one with the old style plates with part numbers stamped, which tells me they switched to the newer style sideplates about the same time they started stamping the part numbers on all the parts.....and that is 1950/51 era.

I agree, saying an exact year for the side plate change on the Long Beach, is setting yourself up for a fall. Penn started using part numbers in the early 1950's, the part numbers were gradually eased into place. Early 1950's reels can be a mix of numbered and non-numbered parts. By about 1953 most of the reels had part numbers on all the metal parts.

Shark Hunter

Those look like some fixer uppers. ;D
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

Quotehere is a lb 60 with red side plates

The long Beach head plate looks Mottled. This is a rough bunch.

txangler81

Yes it does look mottled. Looks like the tail plate was cracked and repaired. They are rough just thought the long beach with the red mottled plates was interesting.

Aiala

I'm in the process of resurrecting a venerable Long Beach 68 that may even be older than I am :o It has no stamped parts, but it does have the lighthouse side plate (treated with Glayzit as recommended by Fred), an outside-accessible drag, and a main gear that's the same width as that from a Silver Beach (#5-60), but taller, w/five drag washers.

The outside set-up reminds me of the older 114s and 115s; top hat washer, leather washer, etc. It's all very interesting, but also a bit nerve-wracking because I haven't been able to find a schematic which shows a Long Beach with that outside drag... I don't want to order a bunch of parts from Scott's which won't be compatible.  ::)

Such are the concerns of a compulsive reelhead...!  :D

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

foakes

Hi Aiala --

This is an old schematic from one of my Penn Service Manuals -- probably what you already pulled up.

On key #s 1 & 2 -- there are a couple of sideplates shown for the 68.  One might assume this is the traditional gear setup commonly used where the reel is disassembled to change out the drag stack -- and maybe the exterior change out with the larger opening, and the higher gear capable of more drag washers.

But aside from all of that supposition -- it appears like most, if not all of the parts are the same with the exception of the gears and side-plate.

So what parts do you think you need?

Once we know, I might have some or all of the pieces to complete it.

Let me know.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Aiala,
I have a few of these. I took that tall gear out of my 66 and tried to put it in a plate that didn't have the open drag. It fit, but rubbed the plate a little. As long as you keep that same plate with that gear, it will be fine. Takes standard 6-60 HT-100's. This plate and gear can be found on the 66,67 and 68. I haven't seen it on a 60 or 65 yet. This is probably the oldest reel I own. A pre war 67 with the same gear and plate.
Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 01, 2015, 07:53:43 AM
I said an old Gun Michael, just because I know that old grease smell. I'm talking an old pre war Mosin, that probably had the same grease. ::)
I put all the parts from this old reel in some simple green overnight and got back at it this evening.
I got them Clean enough to sit on the Table without any rags, so That is a first. ;)

I left some of the original patina, just trying to make this Dinosaur show quality. No Dremel or sandpaper, just some paper towels, simple green and chrome polish.

Almost finished, Seventy year old reels are a lot of work. ::)

I intended on keeping the drag stack original, but I guess after they sat out overnight, they crumbled when I picked them back up to put some grease on them. Put in 6-60's. I am very Happy with the results.

Life is Good!

RowdyW

Quote from: Aiala on January 15, 2015, 02:36:09 PM
I'm in the process of resurrecting a venerable Long Beach 68 that may even be older than I am :o It has no stamped parts, but it does have the lighthouse side plate (treated with Glayzit as recommended by Fred), an outside-accessible drag, and a main gear that's the same width as that from a Silver Beach (#5-60), but taller, w/five drag washers.

The outside set-up reminds me of the older 114s and 115s; top hat washer, leather washer, etc. It's all very interesting, but also a bit nerve-wracking because I haven't been able to find a schematic which shows a Long Beach with that outside drag... I don't want to order a bunch of parts from Scott's which won't be compatible.  ::)

Such are the concerns of a compulsive reelhead...!  :D

Hi Aiala, the tall gear that you have 5-66 (bronze) or 5-113 (steel) is the correct gear for a LB 66,67,68 and a few others.  It is made for 6-113 washers(3) & the upgrade setup is 6-60 (5) washers.     RUDY