spool sleeve for metaloids?

Started by maxpowers, December 12, 2014, 10:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpowers

I was wondering if it is possible to use a sleeve in place of the 2 tiny c-clips for the metaloid series.  I am not sure if the andros are sleeve or not.

Tiddlerbasher

alantani

A bearing sleeve will work in any lever drag reel. It needs to be on the money or 1-2 thousanths over. It
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

maxpowers

Quote from: alantani on December 13, 2014, 08:25:34 PM
A bearing sleeve will work in any lever drag reel. It needs to be on the money or 1-2 thousanths over. It

i was thinking a sleeve would give you a better option to set up the drag the way you like.  currently with the c clips you cannot alter the belleviles too much or the spool play in free spool is unacceptable.  it would also allow the addition of a thrust bearing assembly.  just thinking aloud..

alantani

i would fish these reels with 10-12 pounds of drag to stay in a comfortable range.  if you need much more drag than that, it might be best to step up to a heavier reel.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

maxpowers

Quote from: alantani on December 13, 2014, 11:31:43 PM
i would fish these reels with 10-12 pounds of drag to stay in a comfortable range.  if you need much more drag than that, it might be best to step up to a heavier reel.  

I think the frame as well as the side plate of the metaloid are much better constructed than the Penn fathom LD2 and yet the Fathom is rated to handle much higher drag pressure.  I think the c-clips really force the reel to be in a certain operating range.  Furthermore, once you serviced the spool and remove the left side bearing c-clip, it is almost impossible to put the c-clip back on with the Bellevile washers in the ()() orientation unless you have some way to compress the Bellevile washers down.  Any other orientation will result in some play when the reel is in free spool.  By eliminating the 2 c-clips, and using a spool sleeve of correct length, the issue could pontentially resolve itself.  Also this will allow you to use a similar thrust bearing assembly like in the Fathom LD2 series to achieve less handle binding.  Just a thought.

maxpowers

I bought a K&S brass rod from Ace Hardware in the 7.14 mm size.  The length between the clips are 21.8 mm.  I use a pipe/tube cutter and cut to 22.5 mm or so and then reamed out the cut side as it does get slight compressed.  I used a flat fine file and hit it a few times, always checking to make sure it is still fairly square.  Took out the 2 tiny clips, installed and the reel feel much better.  The best thing is now I was able to install the bellevile washers in the correct configuration of ()().  The next step is to see if I can shorten the sleeve by 3 mm, install a thrust bearing assembly and reduce the Bellevile washers to () configuration.  The thrust bearing assembly is 4.5 mm thick.  The 4 Bellevile washers are roughly about 3.5 mm in the ()() configuration.

maxpowers

picture of sleeve on shaft.  i thought i had a picture of everything laid out but i guess the camera didn't capture that picture.

fIsHsTiiCkS

maxpowers

haha..it is actually an old towel..Hopefully the thrust bearing will come in soon so that I can test the thrust bearing assembly.

Bobsled 55

Quote from: maxpowers on December 17, 2014, 02:55:15 AM
picture of sleeve on shaft.  i thought i had a picture of everything laid out but i guess the camera didn't capture that picture.

Sorry you have to be the guinea pig.

So where are you procuring the thrust bearing from?  Why is the metal part to the right of the rightmost bearing look beat up?  Where will the thrust bearing go once you have it?

I have 2 M-5IIs I will need to improve.

TIA

maxpowers

hi bob,

vxb has the thrust bearing assembly in the following dimensio n of 6mm x 12mm x 4.5mm.  as for the right most section of the shaft, it is where the compression spring sit.  I don't think it affected the freespool.  I actuallu order some chrome steel thrust bearing assembly since it was cheaper and i wasn't sure it would work.  once i confirmed that the thrust bearing can be installed then i will purchase the stainless steel version on the bearing assembly.

Bobsled 55

Quote from: maxpowers on December 17, 2014, 05:22:25 PM
hi bob,

vxb has the thrust bearing assembly in the following dimensio n of 6mm x 12mm x 4.5mm.  as for the right most section of the shaft, it is where the compression spring sit.  I don't think it affected the freespool.  I actuallu order some chrome steel thrust bearing assembly since it was cheaper and i wasn't sure it would work.  once i confirmed that the thrust bearing can be installed then i will purchase the stainless steel version on the bearing assembly.

Hey Max,

Actually, the SS bearing is more expensive than chrome steel.  You get 1 SS vs. 2 chrome steel.  But I would still opt for the SS. Here's a link to the SS TB http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Thrust/Kit12595.

Thanks again.

maxpowers

Yes the SS are twice as costly hence I wanted to see if installing the bearing assembly is even feasible before spending on the SS bearings.  I actually found on Ebay 5 sets of the chrome bearings for $5.  In the meantime I plan on fishing the metaloid some more with the brass sleeve to see how it holds up.  At least it solve the problem of allowing you to back off the drag at moderate setting (5-8 lbs) and still have some drag available.

Thanks,

Normslanding

This is great stuff! If the thrust bearing works it will make the Metaloid bullit proof. Now if it works with the new Andros "A" series WOW dual force drag with the thrust bearing, like a light weight Makaira. Starting to make me salivate!!!