Started by maxpowers, December 12, 2014, 10:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

hi maxpowers
we are all watching closely
i think success is on the way
good stuff

MattT21

Of all the spool sleeves I have seen on this site not one is stainless steel. Is there a reason that the sleeves are always made of brass? Are there certain advantages to using brass as opposed to stainless, or is it just to save on the cost?

maxpowers

I don't think the thrust bearing assembly will work as I had planned because there is just not enough depth in the left side of the spool.  If I want to make it work I will have to remove most if not all of the belleville washers.  There is a possible solution which is to insert a cut to size brass sleeve of 1 mm thickness with an ID of 13 mm  into the left size spool bearing receptacle and use the same size bearing as the right side spool bearing 6X13x3.5.  This will free up 1.5 mm which will allow the use of at least 2 belleville washers.  This is inspired by the same setup as the penn torque and fathom lever drag series.

wallacewt

maxpowers

Yup..I am going to go the route of the bearing sleeve and using the smaller bearings.  I just bought an aluminum tube that should fit perfectly.  I just need to figure out how much I need to cut.  I am thinking maybe 7 or 8 mm in total length should work.  I will probably need a spring washer to prevent the end play a bit.  BTW there are some nice sets of all ceramic bearings for a decent price on ebay.  If this work I may just upgrade to the ceramic bearings.

wallacewt

hi mattt21
i think its more about finding the correct size.all hobby and craft shops ive been to dont carry ss stock
but do have a vast array of brass.
cheers

fIsHsTiiCkS

You are doing serious work on this reel. Would love to see the end result when you have it all done.

maxpowers

Will post pictures once all the parts come in.  In the meantime, I fished the reel with the spool sleeve and it performed great. Casted too well which result in a couple of bird nests and lost sinkers :-(

Bobsled 55

Quote from: maxpowers on December 23, 2014, 05:57:16 AM
Will post pictures once all the parts come in.  In the meantime, I fished the reel with the spool sleeve and it performed great. Casted too well which result in a couple of bird nests and lost sinkers :-(

Yes, definitely interested in see the final result as I have 2 M-5SII.

Keep up the great work.

maxpowers

Progress report:

I received the thrust bearing assembly today and proceeded to test what I can.  As suspected I cannot have the full thrust assembly and the OEM left spool bearing + 1 belleville + e - clip.  Substituting the right spool bearing + the thrust bearing assembly + 1 belleville washer + the left side e-clip, we have a total of 9.2 mm which is almost the same as the OEM dimension (9.3 mm).  However since I do not have an extra 6X13X3.5 mm bearing, I opted to not install one of the bearing race of the thrust bearing + the OEM left spool bearing which is 6X15X5 mm which give the same dimension of 9.2 total mm.  At 17 lbs of drag, there is pressure in high gear but no binding.  Just pressure.  Low gear have no issue.  Max drag at strike before loss of free spool jumped to 28 lbs which is too much for this reel.  I am awaiting my shipment of 6x13x3.5 mm bearings then I will do a complete installation along with the left side bearing sleeve.  I will have to find some way to bulk up the bearing to 6x13.30x3.5 mm so that it will fit in the bearing sleeve snugly.  Promising results for sure.

maxpowers

Setback:

Anyway all the stuff I needed came in but there is not much improvement over the sleeve only.  I am just going to put everything back with just the sleeve and fish it like that.  The sleeve measured 21.3 mm long.  As long as you buy the brass tube that is about 7 mm ID then it should work fine.  That is probably the best improvement you can make to this reel.  Thanks everyone for encouraging me to try to find ways to improve the reel.  I still think that the 2 c-clips vs a sleeve is what holding back the reel potential.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Bobsled 55

Thank you for your hard work and sharing the results.

DesertCatRat

I recently sleeved my m5ii also ,I did full breakdown and service, I will mention that it was fairly well lubed out of the box , but I cleaned and lubed with my preferred anyways, few questions here
My sleeve came in at 21.52 mm,   So I'm set at 10 lbs at strike, smooth with slight resistance on handle but not in low gear
Jumps to 20lbs at full, what were your results?should it jump that much between strike and full?
Also, which Belleville configuration,if any, softened the curve? I am happy with free to strike curve but not strike to full curve,
Free spool is great , almost too great

Lastly ,where do you guys fish this reel at,I fish reels in their intended ranges, for longevity and performance
Pushing any reel beyond their limit is never good, imo
So I have 300yds of jb solid 50# to around 100 yds of izor 30#, so this is a 30# bait setup which I feel is right in the wheelhouse of this reels specs
I'm loving all of my okumas, for the price there is nothing in that range that compares
Brian

Bobsled 55

Quote from: DesertCatRat on February 09, 2015, 06:12:41 PMMy sleeve came in at 21.52 mm,   So I'm set at 10 lbs at strike, smooth with slight resistance on handle but not in low gear
Jumps to 20lbs at full, what were your results?should it jump that much between strike and full?
Also, which Belleville configuration,if any, softened the curve? I am happy with free to strike curve but not strike to full curve,
Free spool is great , almost too great.

May want to read posts 6 and 7.  See if that helps. And please post up your configuration too as I have yet to do this to my two M-5s.