spool sleeve for metaloids?

Started by maxpowers, December 12, 2014, 10:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

I think I shimmed the spool bearing instead of adding a sleeve.  I used one of Daiwa's shimming washers.  I wish I could remember which one I used.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

DesertCatRat

Maybe I didn't say that clearly
I sleeved my m5ii, it is much better

My question was after max powers did his sleeve ,what were his drag #s from strike to full at 12 lbs strike
My sleeve is a few hundreds longer, almost exact length between c clips
His was a few shorter, just curious,

I am happy with mine, but wonder if I take off a tenth will it soften from strike to full
Definitely better than stock c clips

I'm at 11 and 18, strike and full , 29 sec free w 21.52 sleeve, stock Belleville configuration
maybe I should take off a tenth
Brian

DesertCatRat

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 11, 2015, 10:47:33 PM
I think I shimmed the spool bearing instead of adding a sleeve.  I used one of Daiwa's shimming washers.  I wish I could remember which one I used.
Bryan,
When you say shim , which spool bearing and how?
What results did you get?
Brian

Bryan Young

Quote from: DesertCatRat on February 12, 2015, 01:08:19 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on February 11, 2015, 10:47:33 PM
Bryan,
When you say shim , which spool bearing and how?
What results did you get?
I think the bearing OD is 13mm.  So I placed a shim under the right side spool bearing so the bearing is about 0.002 in.less tthen from where the C-clip is positioned.  It works the same as having a properly spaced spool bearing sleeve.  Free spool was great as if there was a spool bearing sleeve and it turning the reel from side to side didn't affect the free spool as well.  I think I tried 4 different shims be for I found one that worked properly.

I was able to get 15# at strike.  I didn't check full though.

The hardest part of assembling this reel is placing the bearing and bellevilles under compression.   I think that was why the reel the I worked on had a bad left side bearing.  During installation of the E-clip I only applied pressure to the inner race of the bearing.

Alan keeps on telling me to stop and take pictures along the way.  Working on reels becomes a therapy tool for my relaxation so I don't always document then I'm tinkering to make the reel better.  Sorry.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

DesertCatRat

I definitely won't fish this reel above 12, strike
I'm going to take it back down and take a little off the sleeve in the morning
Great little reel for the price
Brian

Bryan Young

Quote from: DesertCatRat on February 12, 2015, 02:13:28 AM
I definitely won't fish this reel above 12, strike
I'm going to take it back down and take a little off the sleeve in the morning
Great little reel for the price
There should be very little side to side play in the spool when putting pressure on the inner race of the right side bearing.

wallacewt

maxpowers

I'll try to answers several questions on here regarding why I made a sleeve:

1.  My original interest in making the sleeve was to find a solution to my inability to get the bellevile washers back in the correct configuration of ()() due to the need to simultaneously compress washers and install the clip.

2.  The added benefit of the sleeve was the ability to fish LOWER drag with the full curve from free spool to strike.  I read about the on/off like action of the drag when you are setting the strike to less than 8 lbs or so.  That kinda defeat one of the advantages of a lever drag.

3.  The other benefit is that you can rearrange the bellevile washers without the need to shim to get the kind of drag curve that you like.

4.  My test of the drag at  strike before losing free spool is about 17-18 lbs or so and the full drag is almost 30 lbs which is way too much for this little reel.

5.  I only intend to fish the reel as a 30-50 lbs outfit (ie 10-17 lbs of drag at strike), mostly as a 30 lbs outfit.  However I can drop down to fish lower line class 15-25 lbs line without issue.

Bryan Young

I truly hate that pre-loading of the Bellevilles.  It's easy for anyone to damage the left side spool bearing.  I agree with MaxPowers on adding a sleeve.  But if you are not planning to remove the E-clip, but want the same effect as adding a spool bearing sleeve, shimming does the job.

I'll make sure I take pics the next time I get a metalloid in for servicing.

DesertCatRat

Nice, thanks guys
I pulled my sleeve , which is a major improvement, took it down to 21.42 and don't like it at all
A lot of resistance at handle on settings above. 12 strike,
So, going to cut a new one like I had before, at 21.52 and mess with Belleville arrangements to try and soften the curve
My only neg on this reel is the lever is not as robust  as I like, it has some free play at free

I am trying to soften it from strike to full, maybe a loosing battle,
Appreciate your input fellas
Brian

Bryan Young

You may need to change Belleville thicknesses to soften the curve.  I think Shimano bellevilles may fit but without a reel, I cannot confirm.  Sorry.

Bobsled 55

Quote from: DesertCatRat on February 12, 2015, 05:48:35 PM
Nice, thanks guys
I pulled my sleeve , which is a major improvement, took it down to 21.42 and don't like it at all
A lot of resistance at handle on settings above. 12 strike,
So, going to cut a new one like I had before, at 21.52 and mess with Belleville arrangements to try and soften the curve
My only neg on this reel is the lever is not as robust  as I like, it has some free play at free

I am trying to soften it from strike to full, maybe a loosing battle,
Appreciate your input fellas

Thanks to both you and Max Powers for your hard work in make this into an ever better reel.

Three se7ens

Quote from: MattT21 on December 18, 2014, 12:04:20 AM
Of all the spool sleeves I have seen on this site not one is stainless steel. Is there a reason that the sleeves are always made of brass? Are there certain advantages to using brass as opposed to stainless, or is it just to save on the cost?

I think its more an issue of availability and ease of construction.  I made a stainless sleeve for my Cavalla out of a piece of stainless bar stock, machined on my lathe.  But most members here dont have that capability. 

DaveTM75

Hey guys

I hope younger all well in these crazy times!

I'm a new user, and new to totally dismantling my reels - but on my Metaloid, I'm going to give this a go!

I have a 5Nii and I hate the drag onset, so I plan to sleeve it. I thought, whilst there, I may as well go for angular contact bearings if I can also.
I have been scouring the world for viable bearings and have a few questions....

Firstly - is the VXB pinion bearing not prone to failure due to no corrosion resistance and an open construct?

I have found another option, but it is pretty expensive. It is however hybrid with a stainless option:
https://www.ortechceramics.com/products/ceramic-bearings/hybrid-ceramic-bearings/angular-contact-hybrid-ball-bearings/706-hybrid-angular-contact-ball-bearings-6x17x6/
I will probably go with this unless people think it's overkill.

In regards to the left side bearing, I have also found a good option that is also angular contact, but instead of 6*15*5, it's sized at 6*15*5.5... so 0.5mm too deep. I am thinking that would be fine, as I would just make the spool shaft slightly shorter...

Is that a good assumption? I mean - I am losing the e-clips so can do this, right?

The left side bearing is here:
https://www.nskmicro.co.jp/english/products/bearing/croxy.html
I believe I'm looking at the MTA06-15 with a DB configuration in stainless... Can someone authoritative please comment: the preload on the inner ring for the left bearing is correct - with the pressure forming on the inner ring (this would also be true for the pinion bearing, but it's not an option on that one.

In regards to the spool bearings, I may as well replace them at this point also.
Can anybody recommend a good (ABEC5+) sealed hybrid steel bearing at 6*13*3.5?

Finally, for the spool, I'm going to try titanium. No reason really, just - it's not a massive cost, it is corrosion resistant and it is a cool idea!
Isn't it?!?

Any comments or suggestions or input - please do shout out!

Tiddlerbasher

Hi and welcome :)
I tried angular contact bearings in a similar sized Andros reel. It definitely reduced binding when maxing out the drag to 24/25lbs.
However if the drag is set to 10lb strike and 20lb full it has the same effect of negating the binding - AND you don't have to spend mega bucks on ac bearings.
I also added a spool sleeve to my Andros - it makes life far easier when installing the bellevilles and c clip.