PENN PICTURE TAIL PLATES

Started by Penn Chronology, December 19, 2014, 03:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superhook

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Early-Vintage-Penn-Seahawk-Casting-Reel-/222328790990?ul_noapp=true&nma=true&si=fazcQt4C8DgByFp0FKfj2MYrm4g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This was the Ebay listing . In Oz time it appeared and was gone while I was sleeping. I did get notification but is was already snabbled overnight.

Hopefully we might here some more about it from the new owner.

Penn Chronology

I have a minor problem with colors. I see them differently than all the normal people on the planet, that is because I am "A B Normal", otherwise known as color blind. Anyways, I did not notice the green tint.

I feel the engraving is very weird for a 1937 Sea Hawk. That side plate sould be plain. This particular reel looks like the engraving is deeper than a normal picture plate. Almost like it was hand done. May never know for sure because it si in the wind.

AC49

Hi All

I am new to this forum and thoroughly enjoyed this discussion.
If I may pose a question to the group regarding the Penn 49 left sideplate 27-49 .... when did the sideplate change from/to
4 fishing boats with 5 seagulls and clouds
PENN No.49
DEEP SEA REEL
PENN Fishing Tackle Mfg.Co.Phila.Pa.
and
PENN
No.49
SUPER MARINER
PENN FISHING TACKLE MFG.CO.PHILA.PA

Thanks and Regards
AC

Bill B

AC in the 1952-53 Penn catalogue, the 49 changed names from Deep Sea to Super Mariner.... if you have a Deep Sea with part numbers it would be considered a post war model.... non parts numbers...then earlier than the end of WW II.....if it's a Super Mariner was in production 1953 until 2005.....hope this helps.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

AC49

Thanks very much Bill  :)

I see in 1951 catalog no. 16 it was called PENN No. 49 and in the 1952 catalog 17 with Instruction Manual and repair parts list the name changed to SUPER-MARINER.
So the post war PENN No. 49 Deep Sea Reel sideplates would have been used until when ? When stocks ran out maybe ?  ???
If the SUPER-MARINER sideplates were in production from 1952-2006 then both these sideplates would have out there at the same time for a fairly lengthy period ?  ???

Regards
AC

Maxed Out

Quote from: AC49 on February 10, 2017, 08:02:06 AM
Thanks very much Bill  :)

I see in 1951 catalog no. 16 it was called PENN No. 49 and in the 1952 catalog 17 with Instruction Manual and repair parts list the name changed to SUPER-MARINER.
So the post war PENN No. 49 Deep Sea Reel sideplates would have been used until when ? When stocks ran out maybe ?  ???
If the SUPER-MARINER sideplates were in production from 1952-2006 then both these sideplates would have out there at the same time for a fairly lengthy period ?  ???

Regards
AC

Exactly !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

AC49

Thanks Maxed Out

Much appreciated. That should settle this mystery once and for all  :)
So to further identify the approximate era / decade of the reel the accompanying Penn Reels catalog with Instruction Manual and repair parts list would offer some further timelines (providing they and the reel itself stayed together in the box from original purchase)  ???

Regards
AC

oc1

There are people here who can probably date the catalog.  Not me though.

I'm not a box and papers guy, but you see an awful lot of empty reel boxes being offered for sale and someone buys them.  Sounds to me like there is some deception going on.
-steve

AC49

Some of the older reel boxes that aren't looked after get pretty toasted after a while. Maybe people are just replacing their 1's with a better looking 1 from the same era ?  ???

JoseCuervo

This is a really cool thread and it deserves a bump. I have enough reels now that unless it has a cool picture plate, I don't need it.  ::)

One thing I always liked was how the lighting changes the scene;

There is the beautiful afternoon look, birds flying, guys fishing..

And the dark and stormy night look. You can hardly see the people on the party boat or the two boats in the background. There is a storm coming just like that!

Rob

AC49

Agreed Rob how does the other side look ? Single rivet  / hologram type circles seen on the sideplate ?
Show some more  ;D

Cheers
AC49

Maxed Out

It's my belief that the boat just above the click button on 149 is the Penn Sport Fisher boat they used to test fish the reels and gear. It only makes sense that they would include the company boat in some of the sideplate engravings.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

JoseCuervo

Quote from: AC49 on November 13, 2018, 06:27:34 PM
Agreed Rob how does the other side look ? Single rivet  / hologram type circles seen on the sideplate ?
Show some more  ;D

Cheers
AC49

AC49, does this help? I might not understand the question correctly.  ;)

Rob

AC49

Thanks Rob
I have a few older Penn 49A reels and have noticed they have the same pattern inside the left & right sideplates. For want of a better name I refer to them as having hologram design.
Some have a single rivet (below) holding the click spring others like the picture below have 2 rivets.

Cheers
AC49

Penn Chronology

That internal swirl is called "Jeweling" and is usually done to hold grease or oil better than a flat surface. It can be done by hand with a jeweling tool or if you chuck up a pencil into a drill and use the eraser of the pencil you can create the effect. Be prepared to go through a lot of pencils, the erasers wear out quickly.