Coloured Penn Reels

Started by Superhook, December 20, 2014, 10:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

That is the first white spool 155 I have ever laid eyes on as well.  Cool piece!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

reelrepair123

got a white spool on a teal colored 109.   harryk

Penn Chronology

I guess we will never exhaust the variety of Penn mutations. A white spool 155 is just so wrong it is really right!

Phenomenal Find!!!

Deepennz

Thanks Mike - I am humbled!
In your book you talk of having seen a few other reels with white spools - I had thought that you would have seen similar 155's. What other reels have you seen?
We know that Harryk has a #109 - photos?

In 25 years time our children may be showing off their tricked up/hotrodded reels on this website and one wonders if they will be 3-D printing the parts they want - then we could all 'print off' a white spool for any reel we want!! (no - I didn't print that spool - I'm just an old dairy farmer - no techie!!)

Cheers
Martin

mo65

I love seeing these color firsts! Congrats on an awesome find! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteIn your book you talk of having seen a few other reels with white spools - I had thought that you would have seen similar 155's. What other reels have you seen?

The only other reel I have seen with a white spool is a 25. Now that I am thinking about it, a 25 spool may work on a Penn 155. In the mid 1950's, The Penn Monofil 25 was made in Gray but shade variants did happen and I know I have seen a couple in white. Here is the one I have. I do not have the spool with it but you can see what I mean by the plate color.

They are not easy finds.

AC49

A green Monofil 26 from early 1950's
$10.50

mo65

I finally scored a green Monofil 26 too...but I had to pay a lot more than $10.50.
Great find AC49! 8)

AC49

Thanks Mo

Don't worry I paid a bit more than the $10.50 price on the box  ;D !!

Would be interested to know how you intend cleaning up yours and whether you replace any parts or keep original ?

Cheers
Alan
Cape Town
South Africa

mo65

Quote from: AC49 on January 03, 2018, 07:31:49 PM
Would be interested to know how you intend cleaning up yours and whether you replace any parts or keep original ?

Just hang on for a while brother...I plan to do a resto post soon. On a highly collectible reel like this I'll keep it stock...only replacing parts with correct original parts. After inspecting my 26, it has no corrosion, so no replacement parts should be needed. This one must have been a fresh water reel. 8)

mo65

Someone posted this green 4/0 on the Facebook Vintage Penn group today...WOW...I bit my lip so hard it bled! Sweet reel!! 8)

Benni3

:o that's nice reel  nice ;D

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

sdlehr

Very cool! A 113S? Looks blue to me.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Alto Mare

Nice!...Mo, did you make him an offer? :)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.