Coloured Penn Reels

Started by Superhook, December 20, 2014, 10:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

QuoteI look pretty hard but almost never see anything like these amazing pieces.  Were those ebay finds?

Ray found these on EBay. Reels like this are almost always presented incorrectly and many times they are in a group of old junk. Sometimes the buy is a risk and you may not get what you think you see. EBay photos are notoriously inaccurate; but, Ray can see things very deeply, maybe because he has been in the printing industry all his life and has an eye for it. He has found rare reels in mundane presentations many times. He has the magic touch! ;)

Superhook

Mike,

You surprised me with those photos. Here i was thinking they were packed away for shipping and - Bang .Check these out!    I guess after printing and matching colours for so many years the brain is a little more heightened to variances .

A lot of Ebay sellers do not clean their reels and sometimes you need to see through the grime and dust . 

Dom,  It's all good fun . Searching is like dropping in a line . You can't be sure of what you'll catch.

Thanks guys

broadway

You guys make a heck of a team!
I'll have to train these eyes a bit better and maybe some of those will be shipped to me. ;)
Thanks
Dom

Penn Chronology

QuoteYou surprised me with those photos. Here i was thinking they were packed away for shipping and - Bang .Check these out! 

You are correct again, they were packed away for shipping; but, I photoed them before I packed them. I could not allow reels that rare to not be in my database. ;D

Superhook

Mike posted these 2 photos of this late 30's Bridge City.

I have now finished cleaning this reel  and the colour change to the head plate is dramatic.

The tail plate stayed a Rusty Orange colour but the big surprise was when i opened the head plate to see the original colour was a dark Grey.  Takes a lot of polishing to get back to the original colour and I did not want to wreck the logo so i left it at this. Most of what looked like the dark maroon of the 33-34 Era reel colour has gone. I'll Christen it the Cameleon.

First time i have seen a dark Grey from the 30's . Now we know how much they can change colour.

Penn Chronology

QuoteFirst time i have seen a dark Grey from the 30's . Now we know how much they can change colour.

Fantastic restoration of a fantastic find. Great Job Ray!

Tightlines667

Nice work Ray.  That is a nice reel.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Maxed Out

Very Nice Ray...that one deserves to be in your collection of coloured old penns.

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Oceanreels

Here are a few more with colored plates. 2 Long Beach No.60 reels, Long Beach Deluxe No.DL60 and a Leveline No.350. should have dusted these off before I took the photos.

I did not do the makeover of this reel with numbered parts. It is my understanding that it came this way from the Penn factory in the mid 2000s.

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Superhook

Thanks guys .

You've posted very special reels here Brian . Your Long Beach DeLuxe is the only one of this model i have seen in COLOUR . Thanks for sharing.

Maxed Out

Those reels definitely raise the wow factor off the charts............I like them all, but darn that red Long Beach is one sexy reel.

Brian, I'm up for adoption in case you weren't aware.  ;D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tightlines667

Brian,
Those are some special reels there.  That LongBeach Deluxe must be particularly scarce.  That 350 is special too.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

broadway

I wish I was at that estate sale, but probably wouldn't have been able to snatch any of those beauties from Brian, Mike, or Ray's kung-fu grip anyway.
I know you guys put in your time on finding those treasures, as I've been collecting for about 8 years now and have only found a single one-off colored reel, my Big Red (9/0).
There goes the bar again being raised higher and higher... I love it!
Thanks for posting those drool worthy photos,
Dom

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

OK Brian, now that I have seen your reels I am going to throw mine away. :(