Coloured Penn Reels

Started by Superhook, December 20, 2014, 10:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceanreels

Thanks all, glad you enjoyed the photos.

Ted, if I adopted you I would not be able to buy reels. LOL

Dom, your red 9/0 is a great find. I missed one some time ago and have not seen another one. It's a reel I would like to add to my collection.

Mike, if you are going to throw out you reels, throw them my way. I know you have reels as good as these and a number that are better.
Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Penn Chronology

Mike, if you are going to throw out you reels, throw them my way. I know you have reels as good as these and a number that are better.

Brian, Good to hear you joking around. Very glad you are feeling better.

This website has the best tutorials on the web, bottom line, none better. I have had a ball here and built a couple of very special reels with the help of gurus that reside here.

Nope, I am not throwing my reels away yet, you know me, many times the wise guy, but, it is good hearted fun.

basto

Our family went to New Zealand after Christmas and I found a nice 85m which has a mottled brown and black colouring. Reminds me a bit of leopard skin.

Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Penn Chronology

QuoteOur family went to New Zealand after Christmas and I found a nice 85m which has a mottled brown and black colouring. Reminds me a bit of leopard skin.

Great find, these are always sought after. Funny that you found it in New Zealand.

Hey Superhook! How come you did not find this reel, you can see New Zealand from your kitchen window!! ;)

Superhook

Mike,

Basto says he was in NZ at the time he found the reel.  While i might be able to see NZ from the kitchen window the short swim over is not worth getting wet.  ;)

sdlehr

I have one of these, although you have to look harder for the mottled color; shows up well in flash phtotography. I was surprised to find this under the dirt after the first cleaning.
[URL=http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/sdlehr/media/DSC_7205_zps2ss8nnsc.jpg.html]
Sid
SE FL
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

The more dramatic the mottling, the more valuable and interesting the reel is. Truly dramatic mottled reels are very hard to find. I have been looking for this one for years; but, I cannot find it.

All I have it the picture, so I know it is out there somewhere.......................................................... :(

Ray, when we find this reel we are going to have to cut it in half. Then we will have to decide who gets the top and who gets the bottom.

basto

Quote from: Superhook on January 09, 2016, 10:46:49 PM
Mike,

Basto says he was in NZ at the time he found the reel.  While i might be able to see NZ from the kitchen window the short swim over is not worth getting wet.  ;)

That`s correct. I was browsing around a little town just north of Nelson and found it in a second hand shop. It came with box and manual.
Basto

cbar45

Don't mean to de-rail this thread, but I couldn't help noticing the DIX aftermarket drag adjustment, (multi-colored reel pictured above)...Had opportunity to purchase a pair of them new, but wasn't familar with how well they worked so passed...Seemed a bit complicated, and I can't think of any benefit the back-reeling adjustment via handle gives except maybe a bit more torque? But that is all speculation; would love to hear from those who have actually fished this set-up as to how it performed..

Chad

sdlehr

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 10, 2016, 12:36:57 AM
The more dramatic the mottling, the more valuable and interesting the reel is. Truly dramatic mottled reels are very hard to find. I have been looking for this one for years; but, I cannot find it.

All I have it the picture, so I know it is out there somewhere.......................................................... :(

Ray, when we find this reel we are going to have to cut it in half. Then we will have to decide who gets the top and who gets the bottom.
Mike, have you checked with Sal to see if he photoshopped this pic? He seems to be proficient with that as well as reels and stones...

Sid
SE FL
Sid Lehr

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike, have you checked with Sal to see if he photoshopped this pic? He seems to be proficient with that as well as reels and stones...

Sal would never do that. This reel is real................ ::)

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 10, 2016, 12:36:57 AM

It was sold by Langs in 2003 in the big Penn auction, as I posted here a few years ago.  Find the listing, and maybe you'll find the buyer.

basto

Sid is correct. If you can get a pic in good light, the colours become more apparent.

sdlehr

Basto, that looks a lot like the 60 I just bought that I'm going to photograph and post pics of tomorrow. I've put penetrating oil on all the threads tonight, will tackle the break down tomorrow on my day off. It looks so much better after I've wiped the excess oil off.... I wish I had taken pics of it in the condition it arrived.

Sid
Sid Lehr

sdlehr

Quote from: basto on January 14, 2016, 12:36:40 AM
Sid is correct.
What would you charge me to teach those words to my wife?

Sid
SE FL
Sid Lehr