Coloured Penn Reels

Started by Superhook, December 20, 2014, 10:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefish69

Sid that's not too bad. My Wife says that I don't have a Heart. So when I go to the Dr. I get a picture of it to show her in the waiting Room & say see there it is.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

jhatch

Quote from: basto on January 02, 2015, 02:41:37 AM
I bought one this colour just for it`s frame.
I JUST BOUGHT AN IDENTICAL ONE ON EBAY!! GOT IT FOR A STEAL, $79 GOING TO HOT ROD IT FOR A SHARK RIG.

sdlehr

So I got my hands on this Long Beach 60 with no numbered parts, mottled black/brown side plates and matching plastic spool. Interesting how the color changed. It arrived pretty dirty and dark

And after the Simple Green cleaning it lightened up to this, which I didn't like, and wasn't the way the inside of the plate looked, so I know it wasn't the true color

After some elbow grease and some Armor-All it returned to it's natural color (based on comparison with the inside of the plates)

I'm reasonably satisfied with the way the side plates cleaned up, but the chrome is pretty rough. Since this is a thread on color I'll leave it at this and post more in the Long Beach thread

Sid
SE FL
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Tightlines667

Those plates turned out great.  If it was me I would find a NOS or minty era-correct, nonnumbered late 40s LB and swap the chrome, and any worn parts out, and make one really nice late 40s colored LB.  Just a thought.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Maxed Out

Very cool Sid, the leopard long beach.

Mine only has the different colors on the tailplate
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

basto

Quote from: jhatch on January 14, 2016, 09:19:20 PM
Quote from: basto on January 02, 2015, 02:41:37 AM
I bought one this colour just for it`s frame.
I JUST BOUGHT AN IDENTICAL ONE ON EBAY!! GOT IT FOR A STEAL, $79 GOING TO HOT ROD IT FOR A SHARK RIG.

Nice pickup!
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

basto

Sid
You did a good job on that plate. I have only been game to wash plates in soapy water, but the Armorall did the trick.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

anglingarchitect

These colorful penn's are amazing, love this place penn's are what brought me to this site.

sdlehr

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 14, 2016, 11:23:45 PM
Those plates turned out great.  If it was me I would find a NOS or minty era-correct, nonnumbered late 40s LB and swap the chrome, and any worn parts out, and make one really nice late 40s colored LB.  Just a thought.
And a good thought, at that. I had a 65 from the same era that I swapped out side rings (not minty, but better than what was there), end caps, eccentric lever and screw, and drag star, but the handle was larger than the 60, so I left that for now. I swapped posts from another 60 I had - (the posts aren't numbered).... I'm thinking about plating the crank, I just have to experiment a little more on the plating and perfect my technique. I've got four more posts to practice plating on.... and a drag star. I've ordered a 99.9% chromium rod to add to the Caswell brush-on plating kit to use as the anode.... Total investment in plating equipment is $50. They don't want to sell you a chromium anode because with it you won't need to order solution as often from them....

Sid
SE FL
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mo65

Here's one with colors ya don't see everyday. I'm going to clean up the metal parts...but it looks to me like they might be beyond cleaning. :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Tightlines667

That one 'pops'. 

I may need to clean up my LB with the pretty colored tailplate one of these days.
Hope springs eternal

Penn Chronology

Here's one with colors ya don't see everyday. I'm going to clean up the metal parts...but it looks to me like they might be beyond cleaning. Undecided

Posted on: January 14, 2016, 10:09:23 PM
Posted by: sdlehr 

Metal parts are relatively easily replaced; but, those plates are special. Great find. As John has said before, locate newer or new metal and mint out the reel. Just be careful to find the right era parts.

mo65

Quote from: Penn Chronology on July 29, 2016, 07:39:38 PM
Metal parts are relatively easily replaced; but, those plates are special. Great find. As John has said before, locate newer or new metal and mint out the reel. Just be careful to find the right era parts.

This is the reel we talked about over on the Delmar 285 thread in Sid's vintage forum. I'm still considering pimping this thing out with Longbeach 65 parts for a wider Delmar...like the 286. Here are the parts cleaned up, the insides look great, very little wear on the gear train. Only the posts, drag star, stand, and handle are shot. It appears this reel was fished once and left out on a beachfront porch. :D Here's a better look at those plates too.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteThis is the reel we talked about over on the Delmar 285 thread in Sid's vintage forum. I'm still considering pimping this thing out with Longbeach 65 parts for a wider Delmar...like the 286. Here are the parts cleaned up, the insides look great, very little wear on the gear train. Only the posts, drag star, stand, and handle are shot. It appears this reel was fished once and left out on a beachfront porch. Cheesy Here's a better look at those plates too.

Mike, the logo on your mottled reel reads 286, if I am seeing it correctly, not 285. Now I do not want to raise any flags here, but, if your plates are 286 plates, mottled as dramatically as they are,,,, you are in possession of a rare and valuable reel.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Penn Chronology on July 30, 2016, 01:48:11 AM
QuoteThis is the reel we talked about over on the Delmar 285 thread in Sid's vintage forum. I'm still considering pimping this thing out with Longbeach 65 parts for a wider Delmar...like the 286. Here are the parts cleaned up, the insides look great, very little wear on the gear train. Only the posts, drag star, stand, and handle are shot. It appears this reel was fished once and left out on a beachfront porch. Cheesy Here's a better look at those plates too.

Mike, the logo on your mottled reel reads 286, if I am seeing it correctly, not 285. Now I do not want to raise any flags here, but, if your plates are 286 plates, mottled as dramatically as they are,,,, you are in possession of a rare and valuable reel.

Well.. all be.. that sure does look like a "6"
Hope springs eternal