alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Coloured Penn Reels
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
April 10, 2020, 10:54:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coloured Penn Reels  (Read 53859 times)
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2016, 01:51:30 PM »

Over the years, Penn experimented with various systems of reel manufacturing that sometimes involved making most parts on site -- or, many times, parts were sourced from various companies, and produced to the specifications demanded by Penn.

As a rule, most metal parts were manufactured on site in the Philadelphia plant, as well as the sideplates.

Sometimes handles, and particularly knobs, were acquired from other sources -- but manufactured exclusively and under contract for Penn.  Contracts were in place to insure that the parts manufactured were exclusive to Penn.  Same goes for parts such as screws, bushings, springs, drags, etc..

It made more sense (economic and logistical) when using many small repetitive parts -- to outsource these to other companies.  Everyone did this (at least the companies that stayed in business for a longer time) to a point -- Penn, Ford, GM, Chrysler, RCA, GE, and others.

I do not know about sideplates in the old days -- but when touring the Penn plant a couple of months ago with Tony & Tom -- there was a gentleman working on finishing and drilling sideplates that Penn received from one of their off site suppliers.  These were for the US made large Senators -- 116L & 117L (12/0 -- 14/0).

These were black, and appeared to be the same as the older ones -- although I do not know if they were bakelite, or a new modern reinforced plastic resin material.

Just interesting.

Best,

Fred

It's not about the cards we're dealt -- it is how we play the hand...

Patience, Preparation, Persistence -- The "3" P's
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2016, 05:56:46 PM »

oh.... I forgot about UV resistance.  The heavily pigmented resin would have more resistance to UV degradation.  There's probably not much UV radiation in a smoked-filled pool hall or around a poker table.  Sometimes we see chalky side plates but I don't know if that is from UV or some other sort of oxidation.  It seems like maroon side plates are more likely to look chalky, but maybe the chalk just shows up better.  I don't remember seeing a side plate that is really crazed and cracked throughout but you guys look at old reels and I just look at picturesT.  I don't remember seeing (pictures) of knobs that look like there is UV degradation either.

If the knobs are outsourced then what is the origin of the brightly colored resin in the aberrant side plates?  R&D?  Just somebody screwing around?  Using stuff swept up off the floor may have been euphemistic rather than literal.

I suspect, but do not know, that when the red special senators came out in the 1960's they were using more advanced resins.  There had been several decades of rampant petrochemical development by then.
-steve
George4741
Firearms Group

« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2017, 10:26:23 AM »

I won this red LB60 on eBay.    Soon after my purchase the same seller listed another, almost identical red LB60.  So, there are more than one out there.  I believe mine was made in the 1990's and appears to be unused.  Too bad the box and papers weren't with it.   

Long Live the Long Beach,
George

viurem lliures o morirem
sdlehr

« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2017, 11:15:15 AM »

George, I hope this is what it appears to be, but to have two show up from the same guy would have me scratching both my head and the finish on the inside of the plates looking for paint. It wouldn't be the first time.

Sid

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector
George4741
Firearms Group

« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2017, 01:23:52 PM »

Sid, when the seller listed another red LB60 soon after I won mine, I was very concerned that something sinister might be going on. Shocked  However, I now have it in my hot little hands and can confirm it is the reel deal.  The bidding for the second one was over this morning and I hope it went to one of our members.  Maybe he will chime in here.

George    
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:26:45 PM by George4741 » Logged

viurem lliures o morirem
broadway
Sensei

Broadway Dom, New York City

« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2017, 04:55:43 PM »

George's reel and the other one that was listed are the real deal.  It did go to a member here, though it wasn't me... that seller is a piece of garbage and I wouldn't buy a Rolls Royce from him if he was selling it for a dollar.  I offered him $75 for the reel before any bids were on it, he declined (which was totally understandable), then I see my offer and my name at the bottom of his listing in the question section.  When I called him out on it he said my offer was absurd as he got another offer for $200 (and mentioned the person who offered it- classless move) that he also declined.  I know the person who offered that so I thought it would be crappy to run his price up to where I knew he would go. Needless to say the reel didn't even fetch the $75 I offered because he listed it like a knucklehead and has a terrible demeanor. 
Happy you got a nice reel and a sweet deal, George. 
PS- I've been watching you pluck some pretty nice reels off ebay... maybe even a schultz and a Higgins here and there. Wink
Stay fishy my friends,
Dom
coastal_dan
Green Firefish, Anchor of the Oceans!
Sensei

« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2017, 05:17:14 PM »

Beauties!  Fun to watch these reels on ebay...who knows what they'll fetch.

Sellers on eBay have been getting under my skin a bit lately...super slow handling times (like 7-10 days  Angry)  and shipping times of 1 week plus.  Three weeks to get something in todays age absurd...

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...
George4741
Firearms Group

« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2017, 06:14:00 PM »

I offered him $75 for the reel before any bids were on it, he declined (which was totally understandable), then I see my offer and my name at the bottom of his listing in the question section.  When I called him out on it he said my offer was absurd as he got another offer for $200 (and mentioned the person who offered it- classless move) that he also declined.  
So, the seller probably got about one fourth of what he was hoping for both reels.  Lucky for us, not so for him.

PS- I've been watching you pluck some pretty nice reels off ebay... maybe even a schultz and a Higgins here and there. Wink
Stay fishy my friends,
Dom

Dom, you're good, very good. Wink  
George
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 03:05:31 AM by George4741 » Logged

viurem lliures o morirem
thorhammer

"You can't drank all day if you don't start..."

« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2017, 07:10:20 PM »

Sweet piece. Some of my buys lately have seemed a little slow but I'll say JDL and Jay at Fishgrain (both AT) continue to be fast and fair. 
Maxed Out
Keep Clam !!
Sensei

« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2017, 07:48:47 PM »

Now that is a score !!!

I doubt there are very many more red long beach reels out there or we'd have already seen them. I haven't ever seen one before, so congrats George on a rare find !!

-Ted

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!
Penn Chronology
Photo Group

« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2017, 09:00:02 PM »

I was the other bidder, the one that lost. I could see what was going on between Dominick and the other person who I know. That is why I backed off. I did not want to drive up the price for this seller. Glad to see it went at the low end. Seller was not too smart.
Penn Chronology
Photo Group

« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2017, 09:29:55 PM »

See what you started George?
Good to see you just the same. Grin
Glad you guys got some unique reels from a not so unique seller.
It takes all kinds.
Money talks, Bullshit walks. Wink

So far George got the first red Long Beach and then Brian got the second red Long Beach. Who is going to get the third red Long Beach?
mo65
The Freshwater Kid...Chillicothe, Ohio
Sensei

"This ship is filthy Mr. Christian!"

« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2017, 06:26:59 AM »

So far George got the first red Long Beach and then Brian got the second red Long Beach. Who is going to get the third red Long Beach?

Hey...hold on fellas...what about this LB on page three of this very thread?  Cool

* Capture7.PNG (1705.6 KB, 1243x764 - viewed 178 times.)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sdlehr

« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2017, 07:03:55 AM »

Hey...hold on fellas...what about this LB on page three of this very thread?  Cool

That was posted by Brian Purrone. Was he the seller in the auctions mentioned above? I missed them.
Edit:Nope, can't be Brian, not after the way the seller was referred to above. I had forgotten that.
Sid
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:06:01 AM by sdlehr » Logged

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector
Penn Chronology
Photo Group

« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2017, 07:28:00 AM »

That was posted by Brian Purrone. Was he the seller in the auctions mentioned above? I missed them.
Edit:Nope, can't be Brian, not after the way the seller was referred to above. I had forgotten that.
Sid

Brian was the buyer of the second Red LB.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: