Rare Old D.A.M. Quick 221 Simple Tutorial, Breakdown, Cleaning, Service, Restoration

Started by foakes, January 02, 2015, 08:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Hi Larry --

Very nice shop!

Looks like that D.A.M. Quick 330 could use a couple of new bail screws, a new rubber bumper for the bail, and a new bail spring.  Save your old parts for spares.

Since the other parts got across the border so easily -- I will send these out to you in a day or two.

Do not use a regular screwdriver on these!

Try something like this homemade soft aluminum driver I ground down the tip on -- into a flat piece. It fits perfect, will not mar the screw slot.  I think a soft penny squared on one side would work OK also.  The old homemade Penn aluminum wrench just has more leverage -- and that is important when loosening old chrome over brass screws that have not been off for 40 years.  Strong downward pressure -- try to move a little clockwise initially -- then use downward positive pressure to easily get it off the first time with no marring.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Lunker Larry

Geez! What can I say.
Those screws show the scars from years back before I got into reel repair. No tools. Think I used a quarter sometimes. Just a poor private back then.
I'm surprised the spring still seems good but, they do fatigue and has a probability of failing if used a bunch now.
I like your tool mod and will probably do something similar.
A new rubber bumper for the bail? Not sure what you're referring to. Are you talking about the little pad under the anti reverse lever?

I'll be sending you a PM.

Thanks again.
Larry
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

foakes

The little black rubber bumper goes into a tight hole on the bail return.  It is opposite the side of the bail -- from the one with the spring.  Appears yours is missing or really worn down.  This prevents metal against metal contact when the bail trips closed on retrieve.  It is a small thing -- but will save your bail system metals by softening the impact.  Sometimes when replacing this -- I use a drop of emblem adhesive glue -- or super glue works also.  Just a toothpick drop inside the hole before inserting.

The old bumper -- or what is left of it -- will need to be removed piece by piece with a metal pick.

You are right -- these springs seldom fail or break -- except when not serviced properly.  But they do fatigue over the years.  And you will notice the crisp snap of a new bail spring.

Another pesky know-it-all hint:

On most Quicks, one can just manually release the bail by pulling down the trip lever mechanism -- and just allow the bail to fold down on the body -- with no pressure on the bail spring.  Instead of constant bail pressure on the spring when in storage -- the bail is as good as new when you are ready to go fishing -- and will likely never fatigue again.

Larry, there is no charge on this -- so a PM is not necessary.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Lunker Larry

The bumper is missing. Never knew it had one.
I like the bail trick. I'll do that.
Can't thank you enough.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

ACDIII

Fred,

Nice job on the reel, I am assuming that is my reel in your tutorial. This reel is amazing in that is it so smooth without all the ball bearings.  I will get my dad's 330 and sent it to you for service.

Thanks

Andy Durden

foakes

That is not yours, Andy --

But yours is getting close to the top of the pile.

Might have time to do it along with a basic tutorial this weekend.

Helping a friend move tomorrow morning -- and going to a mid-day play and dinner event with my wife on Sunday -- just after Church. 

It will be done very soon, at any rate.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Lunker Larry

Been in Florida for a couple months so hadn't been able to first, thank Fred for sending along the new screws and spring and secondly, show a finished picture. Can't believe what a few parts can do to make a reel look almost as good as new again. I am very happy with how it looks and that it still works 100%. Very cool.

foakes

Solid work, Larry!

You know how to get a job done properly --

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

lawless

Gotta love the world wide web, so awesome to come across this forum!

Hello everyone!
About a week ago I ran across this interesting looking Dam Quick 220 reel at a local thrift store. At $3 this reel was just begging me to take it apart and have a look. I was really surprised at the quality. As I cleaned and lubricated this gem I developed a real appreciation for the craftsmanship, very impressive!

It was beginning to look like the beeswax like grease might be the only thing problem this reel had until I discovered the spool is in bad shape. The bottom of the spool has a groove worn in it that causes it to ride so low that part of it comes into contact with the rotor. I'm almost certain there's something else missing but I haven't been able to find the right details regarding the spool setup from brake spindle to drag nut. Any chance someone could post that information?

Eventually I plan to pick up a new spool setup but I like this reel so much I'm going to rig something to get me through this season.

Jeff

P.S. There was a sale that day, 40% off, cost me $1.82 w/ tax.

foakes

Hi Jeff --

You are not missing anything under the spool.

Could be the Resistex washer is worn out a bit -- causing the spool to ride a little lower.

Try an additional washer under there -- the line lay may be slightly off -- but this will let you know if that is the cure for now.

Then if you need another washer or something else -- just let me know.

Great size reel -- one of my favorites, and very high quality -- over-built engineering -- always a good thing!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

lawless

Hi Fred,
I'm cleaning the drag washers this afternoon and taking it to the lake this evening. Do I understand correctly that the Resistex washers in the drag should be clean and dry, not greased?

These pics better show the groove in the bottom of the spool that I'm talking about. One half looks fine but the other half is worn. I'm going to try and find a slightly thicker brass washer to compensate but I may have to just add another thin one.

Other than that this reel is a beauty, I'm excited to use it!

Jeff

foakes

Hi Jeff --

The resistex washers should be installed dry --

If in the future, you decide to switch to CFs -- they should be greased with Cal's drag grease.

With greased Cfs -- you will notice higher drag numbers and increased smoothness through all drag positions from light to near full lock down.

I have added many thin washers over the years to these reels -- just experiment until you are satisfied with the result.

Easy to switch around washer positions --

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

lawless

Fred,
This is what came out of the drag in that order. Does that look right to you?

Jeff

foakes

Looks mixed up --

Won't be back until late tonight --

Will check and post later tonight or early tomorrow.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Hi Jeff --

Over the years, DAM has changed up their spools somewhat -- but they all work -- and the drag stack principles have stayed the same.

Here is what it should be, starting from the right side spring washer on the bottom, inside --

Depending on what you decide to do -- if there is anything you need, just let me know.  Glad to help, if possible.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.