A Winter Project

Started by Penn Chronology, January 09, 2015, 03:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Well it is winter again, my worst time of year. I would prefer to go to sleep and wake up in April but since I am not a Bear, I must endure the winter consciously. So I get into projects.  One of my new writing projects will be to do a series of articles for the Reel News (the bi-monthly publication of ORCA) on vintage Ocean City reels but I also wanted to do fishing reel project and wouldn't you know, I got one of the best deals of my fishing reel hobby lifetime this week.

A friend of mine came into a bunch of stuff at a bargain basement price and passed these parts to me for $75.00. A price I could not refuse, so here I am now faced with a dilemma. I have nothing to go with these parts, so, I have to start accumulating only the best internals and externals to go into this Model 113H narrow frame Accurate Senator.

Now, the first thing I says to myself is, ""Self, where are the best Penn reel builders you have run into in the last ten years??? ::)" Just then the light bulb comes on in head and the name """Alan Tani""" start flashing before my eyes.

So I am going to post this reel as I accumulate parts for it and build it into what I want to be a Tank of a reel and a fine display piece, because in all honesty, I will probably never fish it. I have enough fishing gear for two lifetimes but I never have enough specialty stuff.

So, this is the beginning. What I am hoping for here is to find out if there are special internals (like a double dog bridge or stainless steel jacks and yokes) available for this particular reel that will work in Accurate plates. I know Penn stock parts will work because that is the spec the plates are built to take, but I would like to know if I can go higher end than stock, just because I want to create a total custom.

Here is the first part I have bought. I have not even received it yet but it is my beginning.

There is no rush about this project. I do not care how long it takes to get together, I just want it to be special and I know I am the right place for the ideas I need to make it that way.

Thanks in Advance for what is to come.

broadway

Hey Mike,
    That's a steal of a deal ya got, congrats! Sal, will be able to really set you up with the fine details, but I'll give ya what I got....
The handle is a good start.  Take a look at Alan's delrin grips and Lee and Adam's handles.  Then of course I might know where you could find an original Accurate handle, too.
I'm not sure if Adam is still making the star drags, but if he is grab one.
I don't think the double dogged bridge has passed Sal's testing yet, but when it does grab one, until then you can always grab a SS dog from Lee or just wait a bit.
You wanna grab a SS gear set and SS yoke from Black Pearl (Alan C)
Next is Bryan's 7+1 drag.
Lastly, a delrin washer for under the main gear. If you PM me your address I'll send you one. (Sal made me a bunch)
That should do it for my end. I'm sure the big boys can take it from there if I missed anything. Just don't forget to sand the back of the ss yoke.
All you need now is another job for all these goodies... blame Alan C and Sal. ;)
Enjoy the build you got a great start,
Dom

foakes

Mike --

If I can help with any NOS stock Penn internal parts -- let me know, and I will ship them to you, N/C.

Others on this board will also step up to help you on your project -- just post a laundry list of what you need.

We appreciate all you do.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Wow! Very nice price on that set! I didn't see a spool there. Did it come with one? If not I would go with tiburon, as I really like their spools. If you want accurate than Randy (Vintage Offshore Tackle) will probably have one.

A list of things I would do is this.

- SS sleeve
- SS double dog bridge as mentioned (not out yet but will be soon enough)
- SS gears from Alan C.
- I would opt. For the hex drag insert here as might as well go all out
- SS yoke from Dawn at smooth drag.
- If you need bearings Dawn has nice SS ABEC 5 bearings as well
- There is no SS eccentric jack/ spring or anything that I know of. Fred can hook you up with all of that.

Well hope this helps!! Can't wait to see the end result!

Penn Chronology

Wow, I knew I was in the right place, but, like I said, there is no hurry. I am bidding on a Newell spool for this reel. Normally I like Newell spools, I have used them before on other customs that I have built. Accurate spools are fine too. If I do not win the Newell spool, then I will search out an Accurate in a cool color. Even if I win the Newell spool, which is sort of a boring black color but I feel is a high quality product, I may still go with a fancier color accurate spool just for the WOW factor in the final result.

It seems there are some designs in progress at this time. One particular upgrade I would like to do is the double dog bridge. I want to do that because it is something that has a very important place in fishing reel design history. I am going to put in a couple of pictures right now.
Notice the double dog anti-reverse system in this reel. It is a design concept that was in place in the early 1920's and was used in some of the first big game reels ever made. The drag system you are looking at in these photo is used in a Ocean City Orlando model from 1929. The drag and anti-reverse system actually pre-dates the Ocean City reel back to the early 1920's when many makers were trying to come up with a big game reel that did not send fisherman to the Tuna Hospital, as it was then called. This early drag used a drag washer on each side of the main gear and a double dog assembly the insure and more positive anti-reverse system
                  So, a double dog bridge is important to me because it will bring my modern day Accurate 113H back to the original build style of the 1920's that was shelved for monetary reasons by the makers of those days. I was happy to see the double dog system brought back here in this forum. I thought it was historically dead.

So, this build should be great fun. Who knows where it will go?

fIsHsTiiCkS

Newell spools are great spools! Wow the history you bring to this forum is amazing! Thank you for sharing! Looks like we are a 109 years behind  ;)

Penn Chronology

I am very happy to share the history. Most people just glaze over when I start talking about the history of fishing reel design. It is good to feel that someone actually cares.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI'm not sure if Adam is still making the star drags, but if he is grab one.

I am not sure if Adam is still making star wheels for the masses but he offered to make me one at a very reasonable price, so my second part is under construction. He seems to make a very impressive star wheel according to the post he referred me to. I think this place is amazing. The people here have their own little private fishing reel hot rod shop.........................<:O)

fIsHsTiiCkS

The star us VERY nice! He made me one with a mirror finish!  Beautiful!

broadway

I knew I forgot something (thanks Fishstix)... The SS gear sleeve is a must!
The hex insert is very cool if you like to cut your own washers but if you want stock I'd go with Bryan's washers.
Wow! I would have never guessed that double dogging is over 100 years old. Mike, your history lessons won't fall on deaf ears here, pal ;)
Have fun with the build,
Dom

Shark Hunter

We are all listening Mike. Don't think we are not. I will use a pic instead of a list. I only built one tank.

I used a Tiburon kit that came with the spool from the boss. If that accurate kit were mine, I would go for a Red Spool.
I Love the Iron Man look! ;)
I'm going to update the drags to Hex. I have an Insert from Lee.

I forgot the inner rings in the that Picture.
I thought it was like a WEX kit that didn't use them. ::)

Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

I kind of knew that all the people on this website would be way ahead of me in terms of upgrading the 113H.

Daron, thanks for posting those pictures. After seeing that, I surfed around the forum and found the thread that discussed the double dog installations on the 113H and became drawn into reading the entire thread.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11962.0

I am now going to be one of the people that wants the double dog bridge assembly for my Accurate plates. If I had not seen the research and development going on to make this special bridge plate become a reality, I would have wanted to add the second dog the way you did to your reel. But,,,,, now I know (Because of you Daron) and I want the double dog bridge. So I guess I am just one more on the list, which is where I want to be.

It seems I have unintentionally stumbled into a very interesting series of engineering events after I stumbled into a very cool reel that perfectly fits into these events. If I keep stumbling around like this, we may just find the proverbial Missing Link here!!

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike that's all fine and dandy, but this guy started it all here :

Sal,

I see you are the Thomas Edison of this place. I am impressed with the innovation you bring to these pages. Keep those wheels turning, new ideas are always needed.

I also see many other interesting minds at work here. I am glad to be a part of this group. :)

Alto Mare

Mike, I'm just a little pebble here, some of these guys are amazing. You will see it for yourself soon enough.
By the way, did I mention that it has been great having you here with us? Thanks for all you do.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.