A Winter Project

Started by Penn Chronology, January 09, 2015, 03:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomT

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 31, 2015, 08:57:13 AM
I thought someone would start getting impatient :) I have a custom handle blade and custom star wheel on the way. My biggest desire is the double dog bridge but that is not available yet. At least I do not think it is available yet.

I get side tracked very easily because I have so many different projects going on, And I work, and take care of my family and write and , and and. I need 30 hour days.

fIsHsTiiCkS

I have one of the stars that Adam sells on his site, it is a very nice star and a solid upgrade!

Penn Chronology

Moving on with the saga. I think in order for me to make this happen while we are all still young   ;D, I have to determine what is available in the real world verses the future idea world. I figured I am coming close to exhausting after market parts at this time, so I made up a list of what I feel may work in this Accurate head plate for this build, but since I am kind of new at this, I wanted to put my list of stock part needs out here to make sure I have it kind of right before I get into the actual assembly of the reel.

What do you folks think about these needs? Will these parts work without altering the Accurate Head plate. I really do not want to modify the plate to get this done.

All constructive criticism is appreciated. Puns are enjoyed.  :D

After going through some of my old junk I came up with yoke springs, a bridge screw set and a complete set of drag metal and carbon composite washers with the spring washer. So items 5, 9 and 10 are now collected.

foakes

Hi Mike --

Have most of what you need --

Missing a bridge -- sorry...likely someone else has one.

On the handle nut part 23 -- you listed either a 23-114 or a 23-60?  Have both -- but which one would you prefer?

If these will work -- just PM your mailing info -- and I will get them off in the mail tomorrow, N/C.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

I am guessing he will want stainless jack, dog's, bridge, dog springs, and possibly screws, maybe stainless yoke springs?  The other parts will likely be stock.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

QuoteHi Mike --

Have most of what you need --

Missing a bridge -- sorry...likely someone else has one.

On the handle nut part 23 -- you listed either a 23-114 or a 23-60?  Have both -- but which one would you prefer?

If these will work -- just PM your mailing info -- and I will get them off in the mail tomorrow, N/C.

Best,

Fred

Fred,

Thank you. About the handle nut, I would like the 23-114. Of the parts you pictured. I already have the yoke springs and bridge screws.

QuoteI am guessing he will want stainless jack, dog's, bridge, dog springs, and possibly screws, maybe stainless yoke springs?  The other parts will likely be stock.

Here is where I am weak. You are correct about me wanting to have these parts in stainless but are they available in stainless steel? I have not seen a stainless jack, dog, springs or bridge for sale for a 113H. I know the stainless double dog bridge is in the works but it may be months before it is ready for sale. So rather than letting the reel sit in pieces for months, I would rather build it now and simply buy the aftermarket parts as they become available. This entire project is a personal experiment to see how many Penn stock parts and aftermarket parts I can work into these plates in order to make a very special reel. So far it is a interesting project

Penn Chronology

OK, I am back. My source list has grown and I am sort of ready to start the assemble process. Tomorrow I will go to the tackle shop and grab the odd and end pieces I need to complete this project. My allowances for deviation are because some of what I want is not available yet, so I will use a stock bridge, jack, single dog and standard drag kit until I can get the Stainless Steel jack, double dog bridge and drag insert kit. I may also play with customizing a spool as my time allows but for now I have a great start:

Many of my sources names are very familiar on this website. I thank you all for all your help, contributions and great deals that have already happened and what is to come. We are not done yet.  :)

So, I have started some assembly. The tail plate fits perfectly. The precision of Accurate parts is amazing. Not even a hint of misalignment of any rim or fastener.

Alto Mare

Looking good mike, that reel will be one special reel ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

OK, I went to Causeway Bait and Tackle in Wantagh, New York and the reel man at Causeway, named Greg, donated a brand new 113H bridge to this project. I was all set to start the assembly. My source list is complete and I am on my way to a whole Accurate 113H:

Now I am excited, first I put the greased eccentric and free spool lever assembly together. I use the Teflon Washer under the lever to protect the plate and make and install a small rubber collar to protect the rim:

Everything is together and working normal, I am ready to move on to the next phase:

I install my nice new stainless steel sleeve onto the new bridge donated by Greg at Causeway Bait and Tackle in Wantagh, New York and put all my parts together getting ready to make this pile of parts look like a reel:

I love it when a plan comes together. All the ducks are in a row, there cannot be any problem now. Here I go:

The jack, springs, yoke and  new stainless steel pinion gear fall right into place. I am ready to install the bridge and I hit a wall >:(

After I put the bridge and drags together and install it into the head plate I have a problem. This is an Accurate Head plate. The Penn bridge screws are too short. No problem, right??? I have about 20,000 fasteners in my garage. Every conceivable size and material except the Penn Bridge screws! They are a 6 diameter, so I have 6-32 internal wrenching stainless steel screws about 1 1/2 inches long. No problem, I will just cut them to the right length.   WRONG!!! They are not a 32 thread pitch, they are more fine than a 32 thread. I guess when You buy a set of Accurate plates brand new, you get the proper length and thread pitch screws with the plates but when you get them in the After Market, that is not a guarantee.
              So now I am stuck. I need longer Penn bridge screws.

I need some direction, any ideas?

Penn Chronology

They are #6-40 threads for the 113H bridge.

Thank you Adam.

I placed an order for the proper fasteners with McMaster Carr, I should have the proper screws in a few days.

fIsHsTiiCkS

These would be the best ones for the bridge screws on the beauty! http://www.mcmaster.com/#92196a761/=vzfc4p. I had a few if needed. But since you already have your order in, can't wait to see it all together!

Penn Chronology

QuoteInsert Quote
These would be the best ones for the bridge screws on the beauty! http://www.mcmaster.com/#92196a761/=vzfc4p. I had a few if needed. But since you already have your order in, can't wait to see it all together!

That is scary, we are sharing a brain ;). Those are exactly what I ordered and while I was there, I also ordered them in size 5-40 so I can use them for the frame as well as the bridge.
           I have run into fastener problems many times before doing antiques but since I am so inexperienced with doing modern work, I did not expect this. Thank you for the thought.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Penn Chronology on February 20, 2015, 02:38:45 AM
QuoteInsert Quote

That is scary, we are sharing a brain ;). Those are exactly what I ordered and while I was there, I also ordered them in size 5-40 so I can use them for the frame as well as the bridge.
           I have run into fastener problems many times before doing antiques but since I am so inexperienced with doing modern work, I did not expect this. Thank you for the thought.

Great minds think a like! Im glad this build is coming together for you! The side plate screws are a nice addition!