GT 330 level wind parts problem

Started by Haifisch, January 25, 2015, 06:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haifisch

I have a 330 GT on the bench (around late '90's vintage). The guy had the level wind fail with a fish on, he clipped the wire portion of the line guide to keep fighting the fish. So now I have the reel and have ordered two new line guides and neither one will fit the reel. It is not the old style plastic guide, and the new line guide (46-330N) Wont fit the 330GT, looks like the guide for a 320GT, but wont fit a 320GT either. The new guides are too short to reach the post they hook over above the worm shield, also the hook is smaller than the guide post (58-330). Anyone got any idea what is going on here?   ???

foakes

Will not be available to check at my shop until late today or tomorrow morning -- but I may have the part you need -- with the hooked line guide.

In the meantime -- someone else may have better ideas -- and if you post some pics, that would be helpful.

Good Luck,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

double check the schematics.  there are likely some year to year differences.

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Conventional.aspx#GTLevelwind
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Sorry, Haifisch --

No joy...

All I have are the hooked ones like you have for the 320 -- you need a 46-330N -- which is longer.

It is possible you received the wrong part.

Like Alan sez -- recheck the schematic -- then re-order.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Haifisch

The part I got, twice, won't fit on a 320, or the 330.  The part I ordered, and was sent to me twice is the 46-330N needed for the 330 GT.  The revision of the level wind was for a plastic framed line guide for  a reel much older then mine.  All the versions of the 330GT reel I can find use the same 46-330N part.

the_reel_doc

I'm thinking whoever you got it from had the wrong part in the wrong bin. Sounds like you might have gotten one for a 310. The length of the 46-330n is 2 inches from the top bend to the bottom. The 320 is about 1 3/4". If you got it from Scott's just call them and talk to Mo. She will check it out while you're on the phone and they will gladly switch it out. It happens.

Haifisch

I did get it from Penn Parts, I have been emailing pictures back to answer her questions, hoping that I can get the right part to fix this reel.

the_reel_doc

Looking at the picture above all I can see is it is not sitting flush on the top bar like the one next to it but even if it was I still don't think it's enough to get it to where it needs to be. Beginning to think it may have been a bad batch that weren't long enough.

foakes

Yeah, I saw that also -- figured even if I had the reel on my bench -- used a vise or pliers to open up the hook a little -- likely still would not be enough.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Bryan Young

What's the distance between the worm drive guard and the guide bar?  Once measured, you may want to share this information with Mo at PennParts and it's possible that they will be able to find the right part in their stock.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Haifisch

I test fitted the part to a 310GTi, it fit, so I emailed a picture to her, haven't heard back yet.  I'll call whatever day they re-open, think they are closed on Tuesday?

Haifisch

Well, problem figured out.  Parts bin was full of pieces for the 310 instead of 330 reel. ;D