second generation penn gear sleeves (updated february 2015)

Started by alantani, February 09, 2015, 02:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Whoa, that is a lot of drag.  Be careful.  I'd hate for the reel to explode on you ore gears stripped.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rivverrat

Would this much drag be an issue with stainless gears,bridge & metal side plates?

Bryan Young

My main concern is with the gears and plastic side plates.  If the reel had metal sideplates, then failure would be with the gears.

By the way, I'm referring to brass or bronze main gears.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shiftee

I doubt I'd ever fish it buttoned down that hard. 42.5lbs is half my listed line strength and almost half of its tested ABS. I can splice in replacement hollow core but I don't wanna pay to do it.  I just wanted to see what Alan and Bryan's upgrades were capable of.

It does have stainless pro-challenger gears, stainless double dogs I got from Alan , stainless yoke from Scott's. Only parts I can think of that aren't stainless are the star itself and eccentric jack. Side plates are definitely a weakness. All that said, if I added accuplates do you guys think it could sustain 42.5lbs with the stainless gears and guts? Still doubt I'd ever use it, but nice to know I could if I needed to.

Shark Hunter

Well Cole,
Since you don't intend on fishing it with that kind of drag. Send it to me, and I will. ;)
That reel is top notch brother. Its a pleasure to see new members that can get it done! ;D

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Increasing drag numbers does wonders to these reels.
A 114H stock is rated at 22lb, I'm sure when you hit its max numbers, the reel won't feel smooth.
Our custom 114H could be pushed to 50+, I mention it because its here for anyone to double check. These are only stress tests, our custom 114H will be as smooth as silk when fished at 30lb, this is one of the reason for the upgrades.
It is safe to say that we've been able to increase drag numbers on most reels from the Jigmaster to the 16/0 by 10lb, all stay smooth all the way, but you need to toss the carbon fiber for under the gear and use an Acetal washer there, adding another on top does even better.
30lb of drag will get you anything in the water.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

DaBigOno

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 19, 2015, 11:11:10 AM

It is safe to say that we've been able to increase drag numbers on most reels from the Jigmaster to the 16/0 by 10lb...

Sal

Don't forget to include the Surfmasters like your lil 100  ;)
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Alto Mare

Quote from: DaBigOno on February 20, 2015, 01:40:13 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on February 19, 2015, 11:11:10 AM

It is safe to say that we've been able to increase drag numbers on most reels from the Jigmaster to the 16/0 by 10lb...

Sal

Don't forget to include the Surfmasters like your lil 100  ;)
Absolutely!
Not just the Surfmasters, the Beachmasters, the Baymasters and Monofil as well.
By the way, the numbers above are on the low side, but that should keep everyone happy. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

LTM

Question Guys,

What's the benefit of the flats going all the way down without the small shoulder at the bottom to support the main gear?

Leo

Shark Hunter

I think they did this Leo to run a thin ss washer in between the ratchet and the under gear washer to prevent it from shredding.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

The purpose of cutting the flats all the way down is so that we and add another drag surface into the drag stack as once done by the great Carl Newell.  Therefor, instead of having a 5 stack drag system, you would now have a true 6 stack drag system. 

LTM

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 28, 2015, 10:07:37 PM
The purpose of cutting the flats all the way down is so that we and add another drag surface into the drag stack as once done by the great Carl Newell.  Therefor, instead of having a 5 stack drag system, you would now have a true 6 stack drag system. 
Thanx for your response Bryan,

I better understand it now for I overlooked the fact of the "KEYED" washer which is static/non free rotating and a friction surface under pressure of the star.

Thanx,

Leo