OCEAN CITY and Other OLD REELS ...

Started by ez2cdave, February 10, 2015, 12:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

QuotePenn Chronology...

Wow ! Thank you very much. I enjoy the history almost as much as I enjoy the reel ! I hope
it is ok that I saved your photos to my archive... I will keep them personal. Really appreciate
your sharing the background. Thanks again. (I led  sheltered childhood... only Penn's in our stable
growing up (Sea of Cortez).... maybe the Ocean City line was more of an East Coast market) ?

Great site, great info.

Charles

Hello Charles,

Ocean City had a wide market; but, they basically sold out in 1957 to True Temper and eventually faded away. So it has probably been about close to 60 years since they were available in a retail environment. I have made a study of the brand. The company had a long run and is basically is the father of the Penn Company.

Anyways, always glad to help with historic info. No problem with you saving the photos. This is a public site meant to work with and help out each other.

Best, Mike C.

cdaline

Mike,

Great stuff.... I was unaware of the True Temper connection. Most of my vintage hand
tools adze, axe, shovels, sledges, etc. seem to hold True Temper logos. Use to be considered
good quality... but, I think primarily offshore now. By any chance would you happen to have
an "exploded view" of my era Ocean City 112 ? Thanks again.... I appreciate the "back story".

Charles

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike,

Great stuff.... I was unaware of the True Temper connection. Most of my vintage hand
tools adze, axe, shovels, sledges, etc. seem to hold True Temper logos. Use to be considered
good quality... but, I think primarily offshore now. By any chance would you happen to have
an "exploded view" of my era Ocean City 112 ? Thanks again.... I appreciate the "back story".

Charles

I think this is your reel. It is an exploded view of the 112 "D" model which must be very close to what you models is structurally. The Model 112 did not change very much from the inception of your model. I do not have all the exploded views, so I cannot see when the model upgrades happened. The exploded view I provided is probably about 1958. It is the True Temper version of the reel. You can tell that by the spool flange groves and the fact that the integral handle wrench is not used by True Temper.

Sorry; but, no matter how I turn this photo, it is insisting on staying on its side.

cdaline

Thank you very much. Just what I was looking for.  I really appreciate the assistance Sir.

Charles

Penn Chronology

QuoteInsert Quote
Thank you very much. Just what I was looking for.  I really appreciate the assistance Sir.

My pleasure.. Always happy to contribute.

Darin Crofton

Hey guys, Does anyone have the schematics for an OC 6/0 6061? I'm soaking one in vinegar right now and I'm hoping I can get some direction to finish this reel.
Also, can I put some cf drag washers in it? I know nothing about these reels. Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

oldmanjoe

There is 3  pages here ..  https://www.reelschematic.com/reel-schematics/ocean-city-reel-schematics/#gsc.tab=0
    I have to order some cf sheets , then i will try to increase the stack.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Darin Crofton

Thank you Joe, I haven't done cf sheets myself yet, I need to look into it some more ;D
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Riy2018

Good Day!
I have question in regards of Ocean City FAR KAST reels.

I got one on ebay. Reel looks good, but I dont understand how it works.
I was unable to find any videos on YouTube,

Thank you

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Penn Chronology

Far Kast models are great collectibles. Here is a rare flyer that really high lights them.

Benni3

Just think this was very funny first episode,,,,, :D old salt or ocean city?,,,,,,, ;D

RC4600

I bought this 70 yr old OC 922, this is how I found it. I had never seen one before. Did take the sides off to see if it needed any maintenance, nope! I continue to be impressed with the 'older' OC reels.  This one will fish. RC

Penn Chronology

QuoteI continue to be impressed with the 'older' OC reels. 

They are great old reels and very interesting mechanically. There are some very innovative build styles with internals that represent some very interesting engineering.