OCEAN CITY and Other OLD REELS ...

Started by ez2cdave, February 10, 2015, 12:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirtydeeds

Hope this is ok to post here im still lost on this site...I just aquired an ocean city 113 foot number 300 and a ab.urfabrinken svangsta 5000 with 4 screw side plate foot number 342122, both working but have no Ideal what I have here. Paper wieghts maybe? lol

I tried to attach photos but when I clicked insert image it gave me no options just said [img] in this box. Also tried right click copy and paste with no luck any suggestions?

Dirtydeeds

Aha...  hidden under additional options. Ok here are a couple of pics now I figured out how to post them...

Tightlines667

The easiest is to chock on 'Additional Options' at the bottom.  Then the 'CHOOSE FILE' button.  Then select your image and click 'Post'.  

Alternatively, you can use a Web image-hosting service and copy and past the image URL into the body in between the two image [img.] http://....[./img] dealies.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

No badge on the OC makes it one of the earlier gene with the automatic*/folding free spool lever.  This would make it somewhat collectable, but not particularly valuable.  Like $15-$25 on a good day.  

The badge on the Abu is a good thing.  Not sure on age/value here.  Maybe someone more knowledgeable can Chime in here?  

You may want to check Ebay sold listings to get a general idea of value.

*Edited slightly following Mike's post.
Hope springs eternal

Dirtydeeds

Thanks for helping.

Dirtydeeds

These older reels also come with the 2, I posted above. Im not really into collecting so most likely put these up for sale. Think there worth $25.00 each? They all seem to work to.

1. Black 5000C Ft# 84 1100 with Counter weight handle.
2. Black Svangsta 5000C Ft# 131 131 with Deerback handle with Red Knobs.
3. Black 5000C Ft# 097 100 with Deerback handle with Gold Knobs.
4. Green 5000D Ft# 14 1200 with  round drag dial and clicker.
5. Red 5000 posted above.

Penn Chronology

QuoteHope this is ok to post here im still lost on this site...I just aquired an ocean city 113 foot number 300

Can't help much with the Abu's; but, maybe someone may come out of the mist that can. I can give a bit of history on the Ocean City 113 you have. That model was introduced in 1935. Most collector's do not realize how far back the Automatic Free Spool lever goes. Here is a scan from the 1935 Ocean City catalog introducing this option

The model you posted is the Bay City, Model 113--300 yard reel. Here is a scan from the same 1935 catalog. This is a common Ocean City reel with a low value. A collector would add this to his collection in the box in mint condition. A used reel would have a rough time bringing $25; mint in the box might bring $50 to $75.

Tightlines667

Mike,
I was hoping you would chime in here.  That was quite progressive engineering for the 30's!
Hope springs eternal

Dirtydeeds

Wow thats pretty neat. Thanks for the info. My dad past away several months ago and I found that  OC 113 in his house. I Did think about trying to clean it up and use it but way to big for what I do. Plus im just starting out and even tho I have got the abu ultra cast memorized and can tune them quite nice. I havent opened up anything else but one cheap shakespere spinner froze from sand and crude so my son could fish galveston. Lots of lube in that one haha. One more was a Shakespere v2000 baitcaster something like that. Went back together like new except to hard to turn I instantly knew I will not be working on china stuff lol... Gotta get busy and get pontoon ready need to beat my record this fall/winter.

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike,
I was hoping you would chime in here.  That was quite progressive engineering for the 30's!

Most of the Ocean City designs originated prior to WW II. They had a great engineering department. I suspect that all their complicated designs contributed to their fall, they simply overbuilt their products for the market they were selling in, namely, The Depression Market. Of course, the competition from Penn reels is actually what put the nails in their coffin.

Penn Chronology

QuoteWow thats pretty neat. Thanks for the info. My dad past away several months ago and I found that  OC 113 in his house. I Did think about trying to clean it up and use it but way to big for what I do.

Sorry for the loss of your Dad.

By the size of that Catfish, a Bay City 113 does not seem too big.

Dirtydeeds

Thanks Penn, That bluecat pegged the scales at 50.5 and I cant prove anymore than the scale read but im sure it was heavier than that. I now have a scale that reads 100 lbs and wouldn't you know it I cought it on a cheap shakespear troller baitcaster like a tidewater 20 instead of my abu reels I converted to c-6 and tuned real good. Guess I will have to wait to test my abu's.

Tightlines667

I just added a few more early OC reels to my collection.  Here's what I've got so far...

All remain in 'As Found' condition, but they may not stay that way.

This photo includes the following (from right front counter-clockwise):
-Take-A-Part No. 102 (cracked tailplate), 300yd, post1932
-Bay City No. 112W, 250yd prewar, but later version?
-Ike Walton No. 105, 300yd, ca. 1942
-Dover Club (center), 1920s
-St. Lucie No. 981, w/correct box &schematic, later post-war model
-Chlsea FAR KAST No.116W, 300 yd, ca. 1940
Hope springs eternal

Penn Chronology

QuoteI just added a few more early OC reels to my collection.  Here's what I've got so far...

Great start John!

I will take these reels, as my time allows and elaborate a bit about each one in the same order you placed them in. The first one is a very interesting version of the Model 102. Always remember, they key word about Ocean City is confusion  ??? ???. They were constant innovators and never left anything alone. As soon as you think you understand their production flow, they bite you with what you feel is a learned logic of what they were about. The Model 102 is a prime example of what I just said. The Ocean City, Model 102 has a long history. The reel you pictured is a 1936 version of the Model 102. This reel goes all the way back to 1924; but, was constantly being changed in its features. The 102 Model number was attached to the Ocean City Surf reel in 1931 with the First Ocean City catalog. The configuration of this reel was always in evolution, the one you have found is a very good find and a special Ocean City collectible. The year of 1936 was the first year that the Model 102 was built the way yours is built and I feel that makes the 1936 Model special. Collecting all the versions of the Ocean City Surf Reel aka Ocean City Take Apart Reel aka Model 101, 102 & 114 can become an difficult task in itself. Here is the 1936 version, which was only built like this from 1936 to 1939. The complete production of this model can be recorded from 1924 to 1942, it did not return after the war.

Tightlines667

I just picked up an Ocean City Parts Kit No. 03.  Does anyone have any information on when the kit was available? or what timeframe/era reels these parts wold be correct for?

Here is the Ebay listing:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/172048102820

The insert in the kit states...

"PARTS IN THIS KIT CAN BE USED TO REPAIR THE FOLLOWING REEL MODELS
107, 110, 112, 113, 165, 167, 981,987,988, 990, 991, 992, 993, & 994"

and it refers to a Summerset Steeets, Philladelphia address.

Hope springs eternal