Dremel Tool

Started by txangler81, February 18, 2015, 03:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txangler81

Ok guys and gals I recently got a $75 dollar gift card to home depot. I am thinking about getting a chorded dremel tool. What model do you all suggest.

Thanks
Dustin

Newell Nut

I use the one with a flexible shaft so that I can be more artistic with my work. Works great for fine work that may be difficult with the standard unit. Over 20 years old and still works perfect.

Tiddlerbasher

I currently use the corded 2 speed. Before that I had one of the original Series 1 (made in the US) - single speed - bought in 1971 - died last year. I doubt that the latest ones are as good :-\

harryk3616

definately two speed, the flexible shaft is costly, never used mine.  the quick disconnect shaft and the cut off wheels are a necessity, use mine constantly.  pick up small stainless wire brushes from ebay, great rust and corrosion removers, wear goggles plus sometimes a small piece of wire flies off and sticks in your finger be careful. great tool

cwillis85

I know you said corded but I have been through 3 dremel brand rotory tools in two years. I bought a cordless Milwaukee this time on clearance. I feel like it is way tougher than any dremel and i honestly feel it has more power. Just my two cents.
Chris

MarkT

I've got an old corded single speed model that's still going strong after 35 years!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Slazmo

Whichever model you choose, get into it and put some proper lube in the bearings!

I have a Dremel knock off and it was bone dry, now that I stuck in some 'Bones speed cream' (Skateboard bearing oil), the tool has become quieter and funnily enough more responsive.

Dremel tools are good (made by Bosch) but you have to look after them also.

Andrew

alantani

i have an old corded model 395 type 5 variable.  it would probably vibrate less if i didn't drop it so much. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

txangler81

Thank you everyone for the replies. It has really helped me in my decision. I will post a picture of what I get.

Dustin

Rivverrat

I have 3 different ones but for all around use for what I do regarding gun work I really like the Forti-Flex 

Alto Mare

Stay away from Harbor Freight power tools. My Dremel 3000 has been doing great.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

I checked my model and it is a 332-5 with permanent flex shaft, two speed switch and variable speed control. Bought it back in 88 and used more than any tool in the shop. I looked at the replacement if it ever dies and it would be the 9100 FortiFlex with a foot pedal. I just don't have the foot pedal on mine. Today's price is triple what I paid but a workhorse if the budget can handle it.

Jighead61

You should seriously look into a PROXXON before pulling the trigger on a Dremel.

http://www.proxxon.com/us/index.php

newfuturevintage

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 19, 2015, 11:14:56 AM
Stay away from Harbor Freight power tools. My Dremel 3000 has been doing great.

Sal

This guy ^.  Listen to him if you were considering HF for this.