Penn 113H

Started by Haifisch, March 28, 2015, 08:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haifisch

So I have a Penn 113H on the bench, it is an older one, 1989 0r earlier, that has a huge amount of spool play.  It has enough spool play that i believe it might not be engaging enough to reliably retrieve under load, it seems to slip occasionally. Since I have no idea if this is a parts bin reel or what I was wondering how wide the spool axle should be and what might be the cause or maybe this is common?  I have seen this before, but not this bad. How long should the frame posts be on this reel?  Thanks for any assist...

TechTeach

You sure the left side bearing is in all the way?

If so, you can shim the right side bearing cup.
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

STRIPER LOU

Did you try taking up or tightening the bearing on the clicker side? It can be shimmed like the other gentleman said but you shouldn't have too unless something else is wrong. Maybe Alan, Sal, or one of the other guys will comment. They all know their stuff!!!!
..............Lou

Haifisch

There is a lot of slop, I turned the clicker side adjuster in what must be all the way, the knurl is about to touch the retainer fingers in the side plate.  The spool appears to touch the inside of the sideplate on the non handle side. ???

TechTeach

Is it possible there is no bearing in there?

Or the bearing is frozen and worn to the point where the pin is worn down?
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

Bryan Young

You may need to add shimming washers under the bearing on the clicker side of the reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Haifisch

The bearing is in there, it isn't frozen.  Not sure about taking it out to shim as it is the old style with a pressed in cover over the bearing.  I read on a site in the UK, a guy says he sees a lot of these 113s that have "swelled" sideplates that result in too much endplay.  I don't think the owner is gong to go for a new sideplate and new style bearing cap as a solution on a garage sale reel. I wonder, maybe the reel was assembled with the bearing screwed in too far and assembly pressed it too far into the cap? The old bearing isn't sold anymore, not an easy way to check for that.

alantani

remove the cover, pull the bearing, clean it, shim it and throw it back in.  i'll bet it will work just fine!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Haifisch

I pulled the cover, but the bearing is stuck tight. I dont think it will come out in one piece.  I cleaned up the reel, lots of old grease in it, new greased carbon drag and turned the cap in as far as it will go. the play is reduced and I cant get the reel to "jump" while dragging out line or retrieving. I think I am going to shim it from the spool side, a lot easier.

alantani

let me know if you need bearing cups, etc. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!