Daiwa Sealine Great Lakes 47lc

Started by FishermanTom81, April 09, 2015, 08:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

I just looked up some of my old notes. If you want to use Penn CF washers get 3 of 6-113 & enlarge the I D to .470 inches & use 1 of 6-155 for the under gear washer & enlarge the I D to .470 inches then use the original metal washers. This is after you grind out the ridge in the main gear. Adjust stack height by adding extra keyed washers. That's the easiest & cheapest way that will greatly improve the drags.

Rancanfish

Thanks Rowdy and Porthos.  I brain farted this all up.  I was sitting away from the reels typing, putting out incorrect answers.  I edited my answer to Porthos.

I also dug around and found a bag with (6) 6-113h drags in it.  I put them over the post and you are right, the ID will work.

My plan now is to temporarily scuttle one reel, steal the thinner washers out of both reels, and put one of these together.  Then call Daiwa and order replacements of what I stole.

I'm going to be grinding the gear and the OD of the washers (which I was hoping to avoid).

I guess there is no drop in drag set up unfortunately. 

These will be sitting for another day or two.  I have to go to work.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Porthos

You could leave the ridge intact and just increase the inner diameter of the first CF's; doubling up to ensure that the first keyed washer clears the ridge...did that with my 30H. The rest of the CF's can sit snug around the gear sleeve.

RowdyW

You will lose some drag surface that way. Small amount but aren't you trying to get all you can. What's a little grinding work. Daiwa thought it was a better way by eliminating the ridge on replacement main gears. It took them awhile but they figured it out.

Porthos

Depends on what one is after.

With the ridge intact, my 30H maxed at 16lbs drag with a 3+1 config...3lbs more than the 13lbs I need to achieve a functional 40lb max setup. From a benefit-cost perspective, not losing any sleep over the possible additional 0.25, 0.50, 0.75, etc., lbs gain that I MIGHT of gotten with grinding out the ridge. I'm LAZY that way.  ;)

RowdyW

The higher the drag the smoother it will be at lower settings no matter how minimal. Every little bit helps. Aren't we here to improve & experiment even if it takes a little bit of effort? As far as doubling up on the CF washers I would rather use them single &  have the CF washers rubbing on the metal washers & not on each other. I don't need any extra fuzz in my reel.

swill88

Wondering how flat a surface you end up with grinding the ridge? What's the technique?

RowdyW

Just use a stone with a flat end & only grind the lip not the whole surface. Eyeball it & a steady hand. The finish doesn't have to be perfect. If you can't do that order a new gear from Daiwa (there cheap) they won't have the lip on the later gears.

Rancanfish

I got a set of six drag discs from hprbearings on Ebay specifically for the 47h.

I ground down the lip, doubled the drags and used the original metal washers.  I figured these reels worked super as salmon trollers with the original drags, so an upgrade of greased carbon was plenty good enough. No 5 stack, no nothing.

My Dremel tool shaft stopped spinning about 1/2 way thru the grinding job, don't know why. I went to a back up Black & Decker and it suddenly started loping (changing speeds).  I may have fried them both. Certainly not caused by grinding off the little lip. Both tools were the electric versions.

Anyway, I did no CF grinding. The replacements are a little narrow but since there are now six I think they will function fine.  Ordered another set for the other.

Thanks for the help everyone.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Porthos

Quote from: RowdyW on June 13, 2015, 02:25:04 AM
Just use a stone with a flat end & only grind the lip not the whole surface. Eyeball it & a steady hand. The finish doesn't have to be perfect. If you can't do that order a new gear from Daiwa (there cheap) they won't have the lip on the later gears.

This is the reason why I chose not to grind...can't trust my self to be that steady free-handing with a Dremel.  ;)