113 hn baja special

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

Is there any substantive difference between the 113HN and the 113MTL?  Both as strong as the other?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

intili

I would have to say they are probably comparable, as they use the same drags and gear ratio, the 113MTL has more capacity, but seems to have more slop in the anti reverse, anyway the one i have does. I own both, but have not fished the MTL as i think it may be worth something someday. The funny thing is both these reels were sold at clearance by charkbait, i should have bought 3 each!

Makule

Do they both have the "floating spool" design, or is that only on the HN?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

George4741

Alan, I noticed you didn't use a carbon fiber washer (key #4) under the main gear because of a clearance concern.  I vaguely remember reading somewhere in this forum how someone placed a carbon fiber washer under the main gear of their Baja Special, but I can't find it, so I don't know how it performed.  

Lately, I've become obsessed about using HT100 and (or) carbontex washers everywhere I can think of, so I installed a carbontex #5 washer under the main gear of my Baja Special.  It is approximately the same size as the original hard plastic 4-155 washer.  Now I have a true 1+4 drag stack.  If the washer doesn't doesn't hold up under heavy use, I'm not too concerned.  I disassemble this reel after each fishing trip and will check and replace it, if necessary.

What are your thoughts, and anyone else's, on replacing this washer with carbon fiber?  
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

there is a penn ht-100 drag washer that fits perfectly.  can't remember now which one it is.  so here is the issue with placing a washer under the main gear.

thin penn drag washers - many of the penn ht-100 drag washer are a single sheet with a relatively loose weave.  these drag washers include the wahsers found in the 60, the 155, the 307 and the 320.  if you put these underneath the main gear, they get seriously flattened over time. they still work, but they do not look good. 

thick penn drag washers - these penn ht 100 drag washers have a fiberglass core sandwiched inbetween two layers of carbon fiber.  placed underneath the main gear, they hold up just fine. the problem is the extra thickness.  sometimes it throws things off.  most commonly it makes the main gear bang up against the right side plate, making it difficult to turn the handle. 

thin carbontex drag washers - these are high quality drag washers sold by smoothdrag.com.  they are as thin as the thin penn drag washers but the weave is very tight and they do not flatten out under extreme pressure like the penn drag washers will when they are placed under the main gear.  i doubt that the nice lady would want to break up sets of drag washers just so that you could use penn drag washers inside a main gear and one single carbontex drag washer underneath, but often that is the best combination for various reasons. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

George4741

Alan, thank you for your prompt reply.  

I generally use a thick HT-100 under the main gear.  However, in the case of my 2/0 Senator and 349's (and my Baja Special, of course) I use a thin carbontex.  Since those sideplates are hard to find, I don't want to dremel them out for clearance.  Your comment about Dawn's washer sets is noted. ;)  Nothing I order is wasted. ;D  
viurem lliures o morirem

borchcl

I have one Baja that has limited clearance between the a/r dogs and main gear. I had to grind the O.D. on a 6-113 HT-100 to get the thickness I needed. Seens good, have to see how it holds up when used.
borchcl

day0ne

Quote from: Makule on May 10, 2012, 08:52:32 PM
Is there any substantive difference between the 113HN and the 113MTL?  Both as strong as the other?

113MTL is wider, same width as 113H. 113HN is width of yellowtail special. 113MTL has 3 bearings, 113HN has 6. Both have double dogs. 113HN has disengaging pinion, 113MTL doesn't.113HN is topless, 113MTL isn't. Both use the same drag stack. 113HN has a full frame but is topless, 113MTL has half frame and top crossbars.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Makule

I was under the impression that the MTL was the bulletproof version, but sounds like the HN is tougher with better features.

Does the disengaging pinion gear in the HN actually make a difference in casting?  I know it should, but how much more distance is there in actual use (I know it's realistically impossible to directly compare the MTL to HN, since the spools don't weigh the same due to different line capacities, and the overall reel weights are different as well).

Gman_WC

I had some free time tonight and pulled out a Fleabay 113hn reel I bought last year at the nice price.
It looks new with no scratches and the inspector sticker still on the foot.
My first impression is how much drag it has with the star backed out all the way.
There is a lot of slop in the handle even when cranked down.
I remember seeing somewhere different drag and washer setting for the baja.
Does this reel come stock with a heavy drag setting? Backed out if feels like it has at least 5lbs of drag.
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

George4741

Quote from: Gman_WC on June 15, 2012, 03:14:28 AM
My first impression is how much drag it has with the star backed out all the way.
There is a lot of slop in the handle even when cranked down.
I remember seeing somewhere different drag and washer setting for the baja.
Does this reel come stock with a heavy drag setting? Backed out if feels like it has at least 5lbs of drag.
-g

I thought the same thing with mine.  Bryan suggested the following drag arrangements.   

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 20, 2011, 07:16:19 PM
The Baja Special has those Versa-Drag (I think that is what they call it) where the metal washers are keyed and the HT-100s are eared, if my memory is correct.  it comes with 4 keyed metal washers and 4 HT-100 eared washers with a fiber washer under the gear stack.  All, correct me if I'm wrong.

The drag can be set up in any of the following configurations based upon the drag you need, and all configurations are just fine.

Max Drag - Gear, HT-100, Metal, HT-100, Metal, HT-100, Metal, HT-100, Metal
             - Gear, HT-100, HT-100, Metal, HT-100, Metal, HT-100, Metal, Metal
             - Gear, HT-100, HT-100, Metal, HT-100, HT-100, Metal, Metal, Metal
Min Drag  - Gear, HT-100, HT-100, HT-100, HT-100, Metal, Metal, Metal, Metal

Note, the stacking of metal washers or carbon washers, if done, doesn't matter where in the stack they are as long as there is a HT-100 adjacent to the gear and you end with a metal washer on top of the drag stack.

BTW I don't know about the sloppy handle.  Mine seems OK.
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Gman_WC

Well it bothered me so much that I pulled it apart and stayed up till 2am.
I took it down to the screws, cleaned off the excess oil and grease
and gave it the once over with the ratty new toothbrush.  ::)
The dry drags got the Cal's treatment. The configuration was Max.
(Thanks for looking that up George)
What I found out when  done was that the (Plastic star) when
tightened down to get the handle and nut on, it pre set min drag. I needed
to back out the star a bit. This kind of fixed my issue and dropped the low end some.
The handle is not sitting low on the gear sleeve and the handle wobbles a bit.
I'm going to get it a light test run on Salmon with 20# on Sunday to gauge it.
I have a fellow reel repair person fishing with me.
He's dead set against greasing drags. We'll see who has the smooth drag Sunday.  ;)
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

alantani

Quote from: Gman_WC on June 15, 2012, 02:29:04 PM
I'm going to get it a light test run on Salmon with 20# on Sunday to gauge it.
I have a fellow reel repair person fishing with me.
He's dead set against greasing drags. We'll see who has the smooth drag Sunday.  ;)
-g

let us know!   ;D

basto

Quote from: Tunanorth on May 10, 2012, 05:57:15 PM

Having talked to literally thousands of anglers inquiring about Baja Specials, I can say unequivocably that the issue is cosmetic; not enough "bling".

How true!  There are so many components available to pimp up the stock 113h. If the Baja had come with red sideplates, they would have sold like hot cakes.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n